THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Why so few peep sights on doubles?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why so few peep sights on doubles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge..
I have seen a few PH's with aging eyes with receiver sights on their bolt guns..

Sharpsguy...
I have a good friend that works for NECG who imports these sights and have played with them at their range. When the "peep" has been opened to perform like a ghost ring they are very fast indeed. The protective wings after a few shots disappear.
They are currently have in prototype the same sight that fits into their classic rear sight base which I have played with as well not as effective as a traditional receiver sight IMHO.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not the wings so much as it is the shape of the ring itself. All the radii around the perimeter of the annular ring are curved and no matter what angle the light tries to enter the sight from, glare will come off the outer ring of the sight and adversely affect the sight picture.

Even if you clean up the interior of the hole in the sight, the exterior shape will still throw glare into the sight picture.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like a peep sight with a large hole in it, but unfortunately there is no good place to put one on most doubles. You can mount it at the rear of the quarter rib but even there it is too far from the eye in most cases. it needs to be close and not really in focus to work correctly.

Posts: 141 | Location: Iowa,U.S.A. | Registered: 13 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ledvm,
Mine was exactly like your other than I chose to cut a lengthwise dove tail in the same location. I have a match stiple and a small hole retainer that can be pushed down an slide the block out and insert the peep. I can use a spritzer bullet, a tiny allen wrench, a ice pick or even a sharp stick to punch the ball and spring retainer...you still have my old 450-400??

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I guess that most PH`s grow up in countries that have a rich hunting heritage.The kind of rifles used and how they are set up comes from years of trial and error.I think that if peeps were better on rifles for the kind of hunting done in that country it would be no secret.

Americans also grew up with a hunting heritage and used open sights until the military changed the sights on the 1903 from open to peep sights on the A 1. The 1917 Enfield also used a peep.

Speep is certainly a requirement of our military rifles but I don't see them bringing back the open sight on the M-4 any time soon.

My son and I did a test many years ago to see which sight, scope included, were fastest and most accurate. In other words the target - a six inch circle on a paper plate- had to be hit. As the old gun writer axiom says - speed is fine but accuracy is final.
Using rifles we were comfortable with, low powered scopes were both the fastest and most accurate past 25 yards with the large peep running a close second. At 25 and under the very fastest was simply pointing instinctively with a familiar rifle and it didn't seem to matter which sight was on the rifle, open, peep or scope!
Because we were not even seeing the sights.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4207 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I guess that most PH`s grow up in countries that have a rich hunting heritage.The kind of rifles used and how they are set up comes from years of trial and error.I think that if peeps were better on rifles for the kind of hunting done in that country it would be no secret.

Americans also grew up with a hunting heritage and used open sights until the military changed the sights on the 1903 from open to peep sights on the A 1. The 1917 Enfield also used a peep.

Speep is certainly a requirement of our military rifles but I don't see them bringing back the open sight on the M-4 any time soon.

My son and I did a test many years ago to see which sight, scope included, were fastest and most accurate. In other words the target - a six inch circle on a paper plate- had to be hit. As the old gun writer axiom says - speed is fine but accuracy is final.
Using rifles we were comfortable with, low powered scopes were both the fastest and most accurate past 25 yards with the large peep running a close second. At 25 and under the very fastest was simply pointing instinctively with a familiar rifle and it didn't seem to matter which sight was on the rifle, open, peep or scope!
Because we were not even seeing the sights.

The African folk grow up with African hunting heritage.The type of sights used there came from evolution of that style of hunting and are an end result.I think in North America the end result would be the scope.
Although I am not a handgun shooter I think they too favor the open sight-blade in a square notch?? set up.
I can see an old time military use for the peep.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
quote:
Originally posted by sharpsguy:
xausa--You clearly have no idea how to use express sights. It is a medical impossibility for the eye to focus on THREE things at once. The wide "v" express rear sight and an appropriate bead or post front is the fastest sight set up there is. On top of that, a "v" notch and blade is highly accurate. I consistently hit gallon milk jugs at a quarter mile with open barrel sights and traditional cast lead paper patched bullets with my Sharps. There are posters here on this forum that have seen me do it.

You just have to learn how to shoot and learn how to use your eyes.

sharpsguy,

Thank you for the lecture. I reread my post and nowhere could I find a place where I referred to the need to focus on all three things at the same time.

Any competitive pistol shooter, which I once was, knows that there is a need to constantly shift focus back and forth between front sight, target and rear sight, with the emphasis on the front sight.

As far as long range shooting is concerned, I have more than once put all twenty of my record shots in the seven inch ten ring on the NRA 600 yard high power target, with the majority of the shots in the three inch "X" ring. This was accomplished with a receiver sight.

I have also put four shots in a charging rhino and four shots in a running Cape buffalo, using my .505 SRE and a Lyman 48 receiver sight with the aperture removed. In the case of the buffalo, three of the shots could have been covered with a playing card.

Grenadier,

It is really unnecessary to concentrate on centering the front sight in the rear aperture when shooting at close range. The eye tends to center the front sight in any case.

cal,

The rifle was built for me to my specifications by Lon Paul on a Granite Mountain double square bridge action. It is the pride of my gun room.

Both you guys are wrong! Big Grin
The human eye cannot focus on more than one distance at a time! A shooter subconsciously moves his focus from the back, front sights and the target with traditional open sights.

The "GHOST RING" is used the same way a scope is used. Both place the front sight or the reticle of a scope on the same plane as the target!

On a double rifle the sighting is done by fitting the rifle to the individual, so that when the rifle is brought to battery, the sights are automatically aligned and the shooter focuses on the target. I make double taps on running wild hogs often and actually never even remember seeing the sights at all. This is because all my doubles fit me perfectly. The GHOST RING is a very good sight for a double rifle or any other type of rifle that uses iron sights if properly made.
................................................................................... popcorn

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heinrich Scherping, Hannover. 500/450 #2 Musket
Double rifle,Circa 1890. These type of sight options were not uncommon on vintage Continental guns.

m4220

Posts: 217 | Location: US | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle!
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
my eyes cannot handle traditional open sights any more so on my chapuis 9.3x74r i simply removed the rearmost screw on the scope block and installed a skinner lo pro receiver sight. it just screws in like the screw that i removed and works very well. john

john ashe

Posts: 10 | Location: NC | Registered: 14 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like so:

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just open up the peep/ghost ring to what game you are hunting. Or carry two. Or screw out small, to get a larger picture.

Stalking: Small "peep" ring
Big Game: Larger "Ghost" ring

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scutulatus
posted Hide Post
A while ago I shared some experiments with home made receiver sites. Here are 2 of several I tried. Witness from front site, over rear site and thru the aperture, doesn't have to be spot on at this time. I attached mine with double sided tape with no failures even with full patch 470NE. The best results, for me, was a NECG aperture drilled out to the dia of the raised rim (photo is not drilled out). After giving it a try you want to go to the next step, do as careful a witness as you can, then mark and tap out your rear site. Not for the un handy I know hahaha With a bit O shootin' and adjusting you can get spot on for your new sight picture. I fired many rounds thru my 470NE with no sign of failure of the double sided tape

470NE Searcy
9.3X74r Johann Springer

Posts: 130 | Location: oro valley AZ | Registered: 18 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An XS sight system on a double. Works well.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scutulatus
posted Hide Post
If Ya already have a hole far enough to the rear a variety of apertures can of course be tried. My suggestion is for those who don't have one and don't want to do any drillin' until they are sure. Also my Searcy doesn't have enough meat at the far rear of the rib to drill a hole.

470NE Searcy
9.3X74r Johann Springer

Posts: 130 | Location: oro valley AZ | Registered: 18 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Bradshaw 9.3x74 has both iron sights and a ghost ring that are accurate. Bailey does a great job on those ghost rings.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote