New
Find
Notify
Tools

450 Nitro
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Been waiting on a 450/400 Sabatti Sxs; I was offered a 450 Nitro express version. Which way to go? Same price.Don't plan on going after a lot of big stuff, but for sure God willing buffalo, maybe a hippo, and slight chance of an elephant. Do ok with recoil; no problem with my 375, no problem with 450/400 Ruger #1, had a 458, and thought it had a bunch of recoil but it could have been the gun. Like a lighter gun due to neck/shoulder issues. Like to reload, but would like to minimize cost and number of calibers (yah right, like that will ever happen). Does the 450 take regular 458 size bullets?; I load for the 45/70 so that could tilt the decision. Appreciate any input.
thanks
Rick

DRSS

Posts: 709 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
The 450 NE does take .458" dia bullets. I have 2 450's and love them! They're easy to load for and fun to shoot! Even at paper. I don't mind the recoil and for practice you can use Tony's (NE450 #2) 75% rule and shoot 350 grn bullets w/o problems.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it does. They also like cast bullets and will shoot the gas checked ones pretty accurately out to 200yds/2000fps.

I would definitely go for the 450.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the weight of the gun.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Foxhound - Go with the 450NE. I got a Sabatti in 450NE and it shoots graet, is not bad on recoil and that caliber will do what you need it to do on any game you mentioned. Add to that the great number of 458 bullets that you can get and in my opinion its a no brainer. I loaded the hornady 350 grs. and they shoot to
the same point as my DG load and there is hardly any recoil to mention. Good luck with whatever you choose.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
If you don't want it, let me know.

quote:
Originally posted by clayman216:
Foxhound - Go with the 450NE. I got a Sabatti in 450NE and it shoots graet, is not bad on recoil and that caliber will do what you need it to do on any game you mentioned. Add to that the great number of 458 bullets that you can get and in my opinion its a no brainer. I loaded the hornady 350 grs. and they shoot to
the same point as my DG load and there is hardly any recoil to mention. Good luck with whatever you choose.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7697 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 450NE would be my choice hands down... even more so with the animals you listed.
ND Smiler

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys! I think I will take your advice; hope it is still there.
Rick

DRSS

Posts: 709 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
foxhound,

450NE all the way, love shooting, loading this caliber lots of bullets options from cheap bulk to premium bullets.

Go for it !

Nitro450exp

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Just the selection of bullets makes life so interesting.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by foxhound:
Been waiting on a 450/400 Sabatti Sxs; I was offered a 450 Nitro express version. Which way to go? Same price.Don't plan on going after a lot of big stuff, but for sure God willing buffalo, maybe a hippo, and slight chance of an elephant. Do ok with recoil; no problem with my 375, no problem with 450/400 Ruger #1, had a 458, and thought it had a bunch of recoil but it could have been the gun. Like a lighter gun due to neck/shoulder issues. Like to reload, but would like to minimize cost and number of calibers (yah right, like that will ever happen). Does the 450 take regular 458 size bullets?; I load for the 45/70 so that could tilt the decision. Appreciate any input.
thanks
Rick

You have described perfectly the place for the 450/400's.

I am an advocate of larger bore rifles, and regularly get hammered by those who favor the 450/400's when I suggest a big bore, but with what you described as your probable hunting, the 450/400 is the way to go, imo.

If you were to have added more than one or an occational elephant, then the 450NE would get the nod from me.

However, it is true that with a 450 you can come up with some reasonably inexpensive reloads for pliniking or hunting here. Hornaday 350's beig a fine choice. Don't count on a lot of recoil reduction shooting 350's though.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about the relative recoil of the two? Is there a significant difference? I know it is all subjective, but just in general...?
thanks
Rick

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the range, I have to work to shoot a 4470 accurately but not so with a 450/400. The ones I had were comfortable to shoot. On game none of them kick.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couldn't pull off the deal; will have to wait for the 450/400 after all. The 450 nitro is for sale at Cabelas in Scarborough Maine, it has ejectors. I'm sure someone will enjoy it! Thanks for all the input.
Rick

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Foxhound, there is a 450NE Sabatti at the Richland WI Cabelas for $5K. Smiler

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote