New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading technique
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I haven't had the opportunity to try reloading a DR but reading here has got me to thinking. I am a right handed shooter. When you break the action to remove/eject the spent cartridges how do you do it? I would expect that both hands are needed to open the action. After that do you hold the gun in your right hand and change spent for new cartridges with the left hand or do you hold the gun by the forearm with the left hand and do the reload with the right hand?

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ELeeton:
. . . do you hold the gun by the forearm with the left hand and do the reload with the right hand?

Yes.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with Mike.

On this point "I would expect that both hands are needed to open the action. After that do you hold the gun in your right hand and change spent"

If an ejector, the spent cases of course eject but if an extractor, I tip the gun over to the side (some tip it up) to get the cases out.

I only pull them out by hand if all the shooting action is over etc etc.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I'm just the opposite. I hold the gun with the right hand on the pistol grip and reload with the left hand. Same technique as depicted in the picture at the top of this thread.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
I'm just the opposite. I hold the gun with the right hand on the pistol grip and reload with the left hand. Same technique as depicted in the picture at the top of this thread.

+1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If your DR has a tight hinge, it won't open without using 2 hands; case in point, my new Chapuis; definitely will not open with one hand so you have to open it with 2 hands, then releasing one and using it to load, either by holding the grip with the right hand, or the barrels with the left. Both methods work equally as fast. On an older, worn rifle, you might be able to open and cock it with only the right hand. My Baikal custom 45-70 will do that.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

+1

+ one more! Just like the picture at the top of this thread, or at the bottom of this post. Those are old Elmer Keith's hands!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote