Find
Notify
Tools

Double Rifle Questions???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello,
Been contemplating the purchase of a double rifle for eventual use in Africa within next couple years, beginning to convert some items to "liquid assets..." in next few months and curious on some items about double rifles.
9.3x74 is current caliber desired, already have some large bore bolt guns, and just what kind of accuracy can one expect from a quality double rifle in that caliber?? I see groups reported at 2-6" at 50 yards and not sure if that is for both barrels grouping or for each barrel?? I do not consider that good accuracy. I do not expect the double to give Palma Match grade accuracy, but I would think that either barrel would deliver 1 moa at 100 yards. Is that unrealistic?? Are the barrels on doubles like twisted, i.e., both right hand twist or are they opposite?? I understand that the load combo is required for the gun to give it's best performance, but with that once determined, can one expect 1MOA??
I have researched Merkel, Kriegoff, Chapuis, Searcy, and some others and pricing seems to vary from 4500 to more than 10,000 +++ and would certainly hope the accuracy would be at least close to 1MOA. Any and all input would be appreciated.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by driver:
Hello,
Been contemplating the purchase of a double rifle for eventual use in Africa within next couple years, beginning to convert some items to "liquid assets..." in next few months and curious on some items about double rifles.
9.3x74 is current caliber desired, already have some large bore bolt guns, and just what kind of accuracy can one expect from a quality double rifle in that caliber?? I see groups reported at 2-6" at 50 yards and not sure if that is for both barrels grouping or for each barrel?? I do not consider that good accuracy. I do not expect the double to give Palma Match grade accuracy, but I would think that either barrel would deliver 1 moa at 100 yards. Is that unrealistic?? Are the barrels on doubles like twisted, i.e., both right hand twist or are they opposite?? I understand that the load combo is required for the gun to give it's best performance, but with that once determined, can one expect 1MOA??
I have researched Merkel, Kriegoff, Chapuis, Searcy, and some others and pricing seems to vary from 4500 to more than 10,000 +++ and would certainly hope the accuracy would be at least close to 1MOA. Any and all input would be appreciated.

Hello Driver, welcome here! It is always nice to see a new guy with a double rifle interest.

Like most here, I understand your worry that the double rifle will not give you the accuracy you seek! I will say here, and now, the double rifle will not give you benchrest accuracy from hunting positions, nor will any other iron sighted rifle. After all, that is what a double rifle is, a hunting rifle, mostly fitted with wide “V†express sights, with a large front bead, that was designed for quick acquisition, and to give you all the field of view you need for fast action with the first shot, and VERY quick AIMED second shot. A shot without having to take the rifle down, or work anything other than the other trigger for the follow-up on an animal, that is about to make you into a wet spot on the African veldt! There is no rifle in the world that is more suited to instinctive shooting than a well fitting double rifle.

With that said make no mistake, with a proper load, a double rifle is as accurate as any hunting rifle fired off hand, with iron sights. The individual barrels will normally print 1 moa groups with a proper load, and the composite group of both barrels, will usually be two to three times that, or 3 moa, at 50 yds with the group sitting on top of the front bead, and spread slightly egg shaped, half on each side of a vertical line through the poa! With a load that is NOT right, SHOTGUN! You must remember, you are firing two rifles mounted on the same stock, and they must be made to shoot parallel, with barrels that are converged. This requires some proper loads that are not easy to find on the K-Mart shelves. You must find the load that works in your rifle, and once found, stick with it, if you want your life to go smoothly!

The 9.3X74R is a very good cartridge for all North American game, and is up to the task for most, if not all in Africa. I have personally witnesed some amazing shooting at very long range with double rifles, and some of the best I've seen has been with the 9.3X74R, and the 375 Flanged Magnum.

It is impossible for me to explain a whole life time of dealing with double rifles, in the space we have here, that would take several books, and still not do the trick! If you think of some specific questions, don’t hesitate to post them here. You will find about 150 yrs of combined double rifle experience, and knowledge here, so this is the place to see what you can find out, what ever you need to know where double rifles are concerned! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello MacD37,
Thanks for your detailed response and much appreciated. I am going to keep close tabs on the problems w/ the Chapuis being discussed on the Double Rifle site. I know nothing about double rifles but have some experience with many types of civilian and military small arms and often early condemnation of the weapon/rifle is due to some non firearm issue, but we will see in due time. Again, thanks

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Your quite welcome, Driver! Stay tuned, there's more to come here! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote