New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bore Snake?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have seen several of you mention using bore snakes on your doubles.

What size do you use on a 470?

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I use one only in the field. I pull it through my barrels every night when back in camp just to get the dust out. Don't expect it to really "clean" your bores though. I just use a 458 for my 470.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
JTEX:
A .500 is a tight fit on a .470 but it will work. However I have found Bore Snakes great for cleaning dust, moisture, powder, etc., from a bore but they are worthless for lead and/or copper. I carry one in the field for quick use but always use the rod and brush upon returning home.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Gentlemen...

I know that for copper fouling the bore snake wouldn't work, I was just curious as to the size for the bore I thought I might have to go with 28 guage or something......410 shells drop right on through and 20 guage is too big.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
JTEX,

I bought a 20gage for use with my 500NE. Yep, it's too small. I tied a knot in it and now the knot fits good and tight.

Like the other guys, I don't use it for really cleaning the barrels, especially in the field. Just like Mac stated, I pull it through each night back in camp to clean out any sand or debris it may have picked up throughout the day. I carry it in my backpack as well and occasionally pull it through in the field when necessary.

Seems the larger the bore, the quicker you find sand and such accumulating near the muzzles.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:

I know that for copper fouling the bore snake wouldn't work...

Seems to work pretty good getting the copper out of my guns.

Todd, they make a 50,54 caliber bore snake now. I have one for my Jeffery as well as the 500 NE. It works great.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
quote:

I know that for copper fouling the bore snake wouldn't work...

Seems to work pretty good getting the copper out of my guns.

Todd, they make a 50,54 caliber bore snake now. I have one for my Jeffery as well as the 500 NE. It works great.

How exactly can it remove copper from a bore?

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you Gentlemen...

I know that for copper fouling the bore snake wouldn't work, I was just curious as to the size for the bore I thought I might have to go with 28 guage or something......410 shells drop right on through and 20 guage is too big.

From memory which may be wrong but I think a 28ga is a .550 bore. I would think that would be way too tight for a 470.

Mac

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
quote:
Thank you Gentlemen...

From memory which may be wrong but I think a 28ga is a .550 bore. I would think that would be way too tight for a 470.

Hmmm... I may be wrong then on mine being a 20ga with the knot. It must be something smaller that 20ga in that case. I purchased it long a go so I don't rightly remember.

Mac, you're probably spot on there with the 28ga. I know a 20ga shell belt holds 577NE rounds pretty well so the 28ga / .550 seems about right.

Dave,

Looks like I might need to get a new snake in that case. Problem is finding one. But, I'm also not sure how you clean copper with it.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
We bought a couple of the .50-.54 caliber Bore Snakes when they became available a few months ago, exactly for the uses described above, for our 500NE Merkels.

Last August, after hunting Hippo in the sand all day on the Zambezi River, we pulled a BoreSnake through the .416 and were enveloped by a cloud of sand & dust as it cleared the muzzle. That will make a believer of anyone for the need to do so.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
We bought a couple of the .50-.54 caliber Bore Snakes when they became available a few months ago, exactly for the uses described above.

Last August, after hunting Hippo in the sand all day on the Zambezi River, we pulled a BoreSnake through the .416 and were enveloped by a cloud of sand & dust as it cleared the muzzle. That will make a believer of anyone for the need to do so.

I have seen the same thing numerous times. I have been taking boresnakes on hunts now for about 6 years for just this reason. Never use them at home though. I think removing dust is about all they are good for. When I pack my guns to come home I do put a good amount of RIG grease on the end of the snake and pull it through my bores to coat them incase they get lost in transit. My last two trips to Africa my guns were lost for a week each time headed home. Was glad I took this precaution as you are never too assure of the climate your guns might be sitting in.

Mac

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
That's a great plan Mac and I've done exactly the same thing. Just imagine them getting lost for a month or so without proper precautions being taken.

LH, where have you been buddy! Haven't seen you around for awhile.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
On a similar subject, I had some filth in my 470 barrels after some shooting that just would not lift using 450 brushes,. Then with a Kynoch 470 brush it was removed and shiny clean after only a few swipes.
I know the Bore snake is ideal for general use at the end of a Safari day but would recommend a 500 if it fits over the 450.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Why do you think it wouldn't pull the copper out as good as any brush? Just look at the end of your bore after a couple of passes with the Boresnake. It' as clean as I can get it with a brush, patches, and Barnes copper cleaner.

"THE BORESNAKE
Hoppe’s® BoreSnake is the fastest bore cleaner on the planet. One pass loosens large particles, scrubs out the remaining residue with a bronze brush, then swabs it all spotless with a cleaning area 160x larger than a standard patch.

Add a few drops of Hoppe’s No. 9™ Lubricating Oil or Hoppe’s Elite® Gun Oil and your gun’s ready for storage.

The world’s quickest, three-step bore shine.
Extremely packable."

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a 50 cal. I remove barrels from the action ,fill them with a foam bore cleaner, I let them sit muzzel down on paper towels in a cardboard box. The copper will start running out in a 1/2 hr.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Why do you think it wouldn't pull the copper out as good as any brush? Just look at the end of your bore after a couple of passes with the Boresnake. It' as clean as I can get it with a brush, patches, and Barnes copper cleaner.

"THE BORESNAKE
Hoppe’s® BoreSnake is the fastest bore cleaner on the planet. One pass loosens large particles, scrubs out the remaining residue with a bronze brush, then swabs it all spotless with a cleaning area 160x larger than a standard patch.

Add a few drops of Hoppe’s No. 9™ Lubricating Oil or Hoppe’s Elite® Gun Oil and your gun’s ready for storage.

The world’s quickest, three-step bore shine.
Extremely packable."

Never added any solvent to the boresnake. So I assume you add solvent to the snake pull it through then let it sit and soak and then pull it through again? If this is the case you keep pulling through the same dirty snake?

Oh and the above "One Pass Through" is nothing more than marketing bullshit. I can assure you with whatever solvent or no solvent you put on the snake after "One Pass Through" the bore will not be "Spotless". I will do it this evening just for fun and then will check out the bore with my borescope.

Mac

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Never used any solvent. Just pulled it through, checked the bore and if it needed it, pulled it through again. I have spent hours scrubbing the copper out of my bores with patches of Barnes bore cleaner and a plastic brush. This works at least as well.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
quote:
Thank you Gentlemen...

Hmmm... I may be wrong then on mine being a 20ga with the knot. It must be something smaller that 20ga in that case. I purchased it long a go so I don't rightly remember.

Mac, you're probably spot on there with the 28ga. I know a 20ga shell belt holds 577NE rounds pretty well so the 28ga / .550 seems about right.

Dave,

Looks like I might need to get a new snake in that case. Problem is finding one. But, I'm also not sure how you clean copper with it.

Todd:

You can buy them directly from Hoppe's. Here is the site:

http://www.hoppes.com/boresnak...atured/the-boresnake

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I pulled a bare snake with no oil or solvent through one of my 500 bores ten times. It did make the copper fouling shinier. But it did not remove much copper fouling if at all. I used my Hawkeye Bore Scope before and after.

Mac