THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Do you think the person who did this should be shot?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you think the person who did this should be shot?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted
The beautiful Purdey DR was rechambered from a 400 Nitro Express 3" to......

Drum roll please....

.45-70

quote:
#24000, J. Purdey & Sons, Audley House, South Audley Street, London: Made of Sir Joseph Whitworth's Fluid Pressed Steel: A Purdey SxS Bar Action Sidelock Ejector Double Rifle Made in 1930 as a light 400 Nitro 3". It most likely found its way to India as in the 1920's and 1930's the 400 Nitro was popular for deer, boar and tiger. It apparently had a rough life in India; many did, and then found the way back to London for a complete re-do including a new buttstock and rebored to 45-70 in 1975. It was chambered to the 45-70 Government and regulated with a 405-grain bullet. It went thru the London proof house in 1975 and has the proper London reproof marks. It is complete with 25 1/2" Chopper Lump Ejector barrels with rib extension third bite, 1 standing & 1 folding rear sights, Side-clip action body, Bushed strikers, Double triggers, 15" LOP over a 11/16" removable leather pad and will go to near 15 1/2" with a 1" pad, 8 lbs. 7 oz., 95% coverage of typical Purdey rose and scroll, Recolor hardened, restocked butt and I believe the original forend wood. The gun remains in excellent condition since becoming a 45-70. The whole is cased in a very nice oak & leather trunk by Prest, leather corners, oak wainscot, 3 each turnscrews and other accessories.

I know you're a big time rancher with a huge spread and can't get to the south pasture before sundown. You carry an original Model 1886 Winchester Lever Carbine 45-70 in your saddle scabbard when checking your extensive herd of cattle. Now; here is the 45-70 for your permanent full-time all-wheel drive Unimog Ranch Truck with the Mercedes-Benz MBE900, 6 cylinder, 260 hp, turbocharged, intercooled diesel engine plus a Mercedes-Benz 8-forward speeds, 6-reverse, with Telligent automated manual shifting transmission plus Mercedes-Benz hub reduction portal axle-link controlled, inter axle and rear axle differential locks. This Purdey 45-70 will look great in the air conditioned, corrosion-free, noise dampening, lightweight carbon fiber composite 2-door cab of your Unimog and a pleasure to shoot out of those large side windows.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I think it is still a nice rifle...I agree it will make a nice truck gun.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot? No - too quick a demise.

They screwed it up so bad that now they have to peddle a vintage Purdey as a truck rifle.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh my God! I know, a gorgeous gun! But in .45-70?!?!?! A tragedy!

577NitroExpress

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much?

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Get a rope!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey1:
How much?

Champlins is asking $22,000.00 for it.

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whoever did that should be forced to hunt with a Remington for the rest of his life. Mad

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
Champlins is asking $22,000.00 for it.[/QUOTE]

Here is a little reality check for Mr. Champlin. Dude it's never to late to stop smoking crack!!

What a shame.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
shot, hung, drawn & quarteered, have the flease of a thousand camels invade his armpits and have his grave pissed upon by hillary clinton

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whoever did that should be forced to hunt with a Remington for the rest of his life.

Dan - that's barbaric! Undoubtedly cruel and unusual punishment.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We say these things now with the benefit of hindsight, but in 1975 it really did look like the end of the double rifle, due to the end of ammunition production. At least the owner loved it and thought enough of it to try to keep it a shooter (at considerable expense) with what was available in the way of ammo.

It's much better than an expensive paper weight.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you guys are getting a bit ahead of yourselves. This rifle was never a .450/.400 Nitro. It was built as a Nitro for Black - a BPE. It's a light duty rifle. The .400 Purdey is a straight cased .400 3" loaded with 47 grains Cordite behind a 240 grain lead bullet for 2000 fps. Fine for chital and black buck, but woefully inadequate for tiger although, sadly, this cartridge was often used for that.

Especially in Britain, reboring generally wasn't done unless the barrels were shot - worn out, deeply pitted, etc. In other words, it's either that or rebarrel, which is a great deal more expensive. Also, keep in mind that this piece wasn't built to be a heavy nitro. Reboring and rechambering to .45/70 was probably the best option, and represents an increase in power. It also gives the gun a new lease on life.

The only thing that's sad here is that the Purdey craftsmen lavished their considerable skills on building a best rifle in such a puny caliber to begin with. I've never understood what Purdey or their customers saw in their Light .400.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder.

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe a candidate for Jeffe's 45/70 improved. Really what could you do with it? It is a shame to waste such a beautiful gun. I suppose you could always have a second set of barrels made by someone. Again the question is what would this gun stand up to?

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heh, look at it this way, it's a low recoil, good looking, cheap to shoot double rifle, which if it can handle the hot loads, is perfectly adequate for bear, moose, elk, whitetail, mountain lion, leopard, pigs. etc....

TR, esp. KR, shot just about anything that moved in Africa w. a 405 winchester -- which is about the same as a hot 45-70.

PLEASE don't start another *evil* caliber thread -- you want to yell at me, send me a PM, but I don't really know that going to a 45-70 was a horrible step.

If nothing else, at least in TX, you can go into just about any gunshop and get ammo for it for around $1/round, that won't break your shoulder = lots of double rifle play time. You could use it to cull pigs/hunt jack rabbits/basically plink, and not feel like a goof for spending a dumb amount of money per round missing a rabbit.

Now, about the 22K bit...

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle, but in 45-70, not a 22k rifle. If I had 22k to spend it would be on an orignal 450-400J up through 577NE. Or a DG hunt.

It does look to nice for a truck gun to me.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kind of like the worlds most expensive and best looking dog turd ever.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express:
I think you guys are getting a bit ahead of yourselves. This rifle was never a .450/.400 Nitro. It was built as a Nitro for Black - a BPE. It's a light duty rifle. The .400 Purdey is a straight cased .400 3" loaded with 47 grains Cordite behind a 240 grain lead bullet for 2000 fps. Fine for chital and black buck, but woefully inadequate for tiger although, sadly, this cartridge was often used for that.

Especially in Britain, reboring generally wasn't done unless the barrels were shot - worn out, deeply pitted, etc. In other words, it's either that or rebarrel, which is a great deal more expensive. Also, keep in mind that this piece wasn't built to be a heavy nitro. Reboring and rechambering to .45/70 was probably the best option, and represents an increase in power. It also gives the gun a new lease on life.

The only thing that's sad here is that the Purdey craftsmen lavished their considerable skills on building a best rifle in such a puny caliber to begin with. I've never understood what Purdey or their customers saw in their Light .400.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder.

So Mark, are you getting your check book out? sofa

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Well folks, I've got a couple of 45-70 rifles, and if i wanted another one, that SOB sure would be a nice one! That would make a fine Moose and Bear rifle! Though the 45-70 doesn't seem like a real double rifle chambering, I agree with 400 Nitro Express, almost anything would be an up grade to the origenal chambering of the Purdey 400 3 1/4" Express, NFB. I'm not sure I'd pay $22K for any 45-70 rifle though! Frowner

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can see it now.Slipping in 2 Garrett 45-70+P 540Gr. SuperHardCast Hammerheads..
Laddie get closer..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe:

Nah, I wouldn't have wanted it in it's original form. Pricewise however, a new best Purdey DR is what these days? $150,000? This one is almost cheap enough to buy and rebarrel.
-------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder what Purdey would charge for new barrels. $80,000?

Why not just re-chamber this one to 450 no 2 and re-regulate as needed?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Without trying to start a fued, re-read 400 Nitro's first post.

If this double was originaly a 400 Purdy it is not suitable in weight or size for an "Elephant Gun".

Reboring a 400 Purdy to a 45/70 is about the best you can do with a double in this calubre, taking into consideration the bore size, case size and rim size of the original calibre.

Also I do not think I would want to shoot the 45/70 plus P loads in it either.

A 350 to 400 gr bullet at around 1700 to 1800 fps without pressure signs, should be plenty.

I will admit a $22K 45/70 seems like a lot of $$$, but think about it, with brass and ammo dirt cheap compared to most double rifle cartridges this would be a deer, wild pig, black bear over bait gun par excellent.

I hope they have this gun at the DSC, as I would like to handle it.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Full dosvlosure here - I am not a 45-70 hater by any means. I own two lever guns in 45-70 - a Marlin 1895 CB with an octagon barrel and ballard rifling (love that 9 shot capacity) and a Marlin Guide gun (factory ported, before they apparently stopped).

With a little stoning and some upgraded parts from Wild West, the guide gun is a super NA field rifle.

Both these rifles can take not only plus P loads but anything Garrett, Corbon or Buffalo Bore makes.

It seems a shame to go through the rebarrelling process on a Purdey to end up with a double limited to trapdoor performance.

I know that velocity and pressure go hand in hand, but wouldn't there be any other alternatives to rebarrell this in a modern round?

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
NOW it's a proper DG rifle sofa

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
too much $$$ for me but I take it in a heart beat. 45/70 is a great round. Not many animals you couldnt hunt with it. (not saying elephant) If you like to Shoot not just look at your double it would be a great one. You wouldnt even have to reload if you didnt want.
my kodiak double with 405gr softs at 1800fps did a great job on my bear!
I agree an old english round would be more romantic. Just call it a 45/70 nitro express!!
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
There are few things that must be considered here. One is the fact that this IS a a Purdey rifle! Two is the rebore, and re-regulation, and re-proofing was properly done in London. Third, a double rifle is one of the best designed woods rifles for hunting ever invented. Four, the 45-70 is one of the best woods cartridges for hunting the same animals the origenal bore was made for, DEER, and Moose. Five the combination of the two, the rifle, and the cartridge, are an improvement over the origenal balisticlly. So as long as one uses the rifle for what it was intended, and stays away from the large bite-backs, this would be the nicest 45-70 a man could own, and hunt with, I, however, would limit it's use to North America, and be proud to own it! Wink

IMO the very large draw-back to this rifle is PRICE! If it were $10K I'd buy it in a heart beat! clap

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Confused I don't understand the physical possibility of this rechamber.

I believe the original chambering uses 3" long brass which has a base diameter of .469"

and a bullet diameter of .405". It's microscopically longer than 9.3x74R and

microscopically fatter than 9.3x74R brass, so close that I think a guy might be

able to use the 9.3 brass if the rims of the 9.3 were turned down about 9/1000".

This is unquestionably narrower than a 45/70 brass, BUT LONGER. [I THOUGHT,

since a 45/70 uses 2.105" long brass] So are these new chambers at 45/70 diameter,

BUT actually 3" long or longer? If so isn't this rechamber actually a 45/110

[2 7/8" brass] or 45/120 [3 1/4" brass]? bewildered

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
I wonder what Purdey would charge for new barrels. $80,000?

Dan:

I don't know for sure. A couple of years ago, Holland quoted 18,000 GBP, about $35,000 at current exchange, for new DR barrels. I assume Purdey would be comparable. Last I heard, a pair of chopper-lump BLANKS was about $6,000. I know guys in the UK that can get it done for $20,000 or so, but Purdey and Holland are higher. If someone else does it, it won't have the original maker's name on the barrels, nor will it be entered in their records, which compromises the value of the gun. Soooo, they bend you over.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
Whoever did that should be forced to hunt with a Remington for the rest of his life. Mad
animal

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
@ 10 grand I'd buy it in a heart beat and I don't need it, but it isn't priced that way.

Guy's, the .400 Purdey caliber was a weak sister. Consider the time and the place of double rifle ammo when the guy did this. If he wanted to use it, then I think he did about as well as he could. Like someone said, it's a shame a Purdey craftman wasted their time and atalents on a .400 Purdey, but sseem to have made quite a few of them.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
What the f@$k is going on here? Are they handing out crack and meth to gunshops now? I have seen some stupid stuff but I think this takes the cake.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CBNHNTR
posted Hide Post
When it comes to PURDEY all bets are off and logic has nothing to do with asking price.

As an example, last year in Houston there was a gunshop that put a Purdey SXS shotgun up on Guns America that caused quite a stir. The gun was restocked, reblacked (very poorly) and the barrels had been cut down to 26". The asking price as 6K and the gun sold for @8.5K. I looked at that gun and without the Purdey name; it would not have sold for 800.00 let alone over 8K.

Based on what I have seen, Champlins should have no problems selling this one to a Purdey collector.

Posts: 162 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Another vote for 450 no.2
somebody needs to make lemonade.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Highest and best use - if the stock was cracked, Tony could have made a lamp out of it! Big Grin

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
SAD! UTTERLY SAD!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, I handled this Purdy today. It is very nice. It is a self opener.
It is on a smaller frame than a Nitro Express "elephant gun".

It is perfect as a 45/70.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did I miss something men? Eleven posts up I asked how

the heck a rechamber can be done in which the NEW caliber

uses SHORTER brass than the original chamber. No one has
offered any help and I remain Confused bewildered

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldnt mind it even in 45/70 but 22k is a lot for a pig gun.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote