Tools

Which O/U Double Rifle ??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Specifications

1) Caliber - 9.3x74R
2) Single-Trigger
3) Although I probably use a Doctor Optic III for the primary sights, it would be desirable to be able to mount a scope withut duplicationg the price of the rifle.

The rifle will be used for wild boar and perhaps a bear or two -- no dangerous game is anticiapted at this time.

To fore-stall those who comment on "why a double rifle really needs 2 triggers" - not for me thank-you. I've been shooting O/U shotguns (all with single-trigger's)for more than 40 years and have put a lot of pellets down-range at a variety of targets - including just a few shots shy of 500,000 thru a Perazzi O/U during a 6 year period. That's a lot of muscle memory to try and overcome. Comment if you must but it's a non-starter for me.

The O/U rifles I'm considering are (1) a Chapuis C15, (2) a Merkel B3, (3) a Heym, and (4) a Zoli and at this point I think the front runners are the Chapuis and the Zoli.

One of the nice features of the Chapuis is there is a removable plate on the face of the receiver that can be replaced, if gets excessively worn, by a thicker one.

The Zoli has something that is unique in double rifles - interchangable triggers. You can buy an extra set of triggers, complete with trigger guard etc that you can pop in if your trigger go belly up while hunting.

The Heym has a ltwt alloy frame and is lighter than the others - a litter concerned about recoil and durability.

The Merkel is interesting - if you can get something other than the standard stock which has basketweave carving instead of checkering & has a strange shape, at least to my eye.

And from I've been able to dig up, they cost just about the same in the standard grades -- $5K to about $7K.

Did I miss any that meet my specs?

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions other than "the SxS is better than an O/U" and/or "single-trigger's! Are you kidding?" would be appreciated.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
It's funny you should post this as I'm in exactly the same boat looking for my first double rifle. I too tried side-by-side shotguns and found that I much, much preferred O/U's for upland game. My Browning Citori is such a great extension of my arm...

I digress though. Just for giggles here are the things I was looking for:

1. 9.3x74r.

2. Light weight. 7# empty would not be a bad thing. 8# scoped is really my max desired weight. I've never felt recoil in the field...

3. Game intentions: Maybe Buff or Hippo, but that's really it from a DG perspective. If I were to go Ele I'd go for a 450/400...but that's just soooo far away and not really on the radar. On the other hand a 9.3 also makes great bear, deer, hog medicine.

4. Familiarity: I know O'U's from upland hunting - I really haven't quite grasped how a side by side loads faster other than the break being about 7 degrees shallower. I load an O/U shottie plenty fast and it's a very natural feeling for me.

5. Double triggers. Ok, so we diverge there...I like a single trigger on my Citori but the (admittedly) few DR's I've held just didn't feel right with one trigger.

6. Ejectors vs. Extractors. 99% of the time the Extractors win. I mean, I put 99 out of 100 rounds downrange in practice...but the ONE TIME one actually NEEDS a quick reload...yeah. I'll take ejectors. My Citori has ejectors - not a big deal to manage that at the range.

7. I already have a Merkel K1 in 7mm RMag and I'm very familiar with the cocking mechanism. I like it. A lot. It's as natural to me as taking the Citori off safety coming up to the shoulder for a shot. Just a bit more pressure is all. The habit I built is to cock coming up on shoulder...decock coming down. Or, as it were, mimic my Citori style. Oh. And to not move to the shoulder until you are ready to fire.

8. Must have regulatable barrels. For a rifle that's going to do double duty for Deer/Hogs at 200+ I want the ability to regulate the barrels myself. Ideally I'd regulate a 250gr. bullet for general hunting, moving up to a 286-300 if bigger game is on the menu.

9. And finally, must have/be able to mount a scope/red-dot somehow.

And I'm not sure but it might be possible to get a second set of barrels for a Merkel? That might be a nice touch - a 9.3 for Africa, maybe 7x57r or so for the USA? Hmmmmmmmm....

So I've started narrowing down my stock too. I really like the Merkel's and I'm looking forward to spending an inordinate amount of time in their booth at SCI.

Biebs had a magnificent Blaser I had to pass on because my dishwasher decided to blow out and flood my kitchen floors...

It's the regulation that really makes it hard for me. I suspect it will likely come down to a 141 vs. 161 discussion but I'm game either way.

Anyway, I doubt my comments help. But I am here to sympathize.

Big Grin

PS: Oh, on the Merkel Stock. The K1 I have in 7mm RMag slaps the ever living crap out of the cheekbone using irons. It's plenty comfy with a scope...but without? Anyway, fair warning to you.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2318 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I might add: where in SoCal are you? Cool

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2318 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure Chris will drop by with much better info, but there are two Heym O/U rifles, the Model 26b, which in 9.3X74 is, I think, not recommended for bullet weights above 232 grains, and the Model 55b, which is chambered all the way up to .500 NE. The 55 is available with either double or single set triggers but it can't be had in the $5-7k range, even used they frequently push $10k.

You might also want to look at the Beretta S689 Gold Sable, some beauts come up on the used market, some with double triggers, some with single, you might just snag a set with barrels in 9.3X74 and .30-06.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9854 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I´d have thought a Kreighoff Ultra was the perfect answer plus you get a 20 bore shotgun too Smiler best, Mike p.s. they make it with a single trigger if you like

Posts: 110 | Location: SW Spain and London UK | Registered: 22 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blaser BBF97

Merkel B3 Deluxe

Chapuis

Posts: 20140 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Biebs:

PM sent.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DB Bill:
Specifications

1) Caliber - 9.3x74R
2) Single-Trigger
Any thoughts, comments, suggestions other than "the SxS is better than an O/U" and/or "single-trigger's! Are you kidding?" would be appreciated.

Big Grin I have a cased 9.3X74R O/U single trigger double rifle I will sell you for the $3000 I paid for it from a guy in SUNNY SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA!

.................................................................... lol

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MacD37 -- never liked having a rifle or shotgun around that I didn't use on a routine basis but time's change and I've decided that one of many things I need to do is go on a couple of driven boar hunts in Europe.

I hope to be able to do a multiple hunt trip Fall/Winter 2013-2014 - hopefully 3 consecutive week-ends with some sight-seeing in-between.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not an inexpensive Valmet 412 or 512. Bit heavy, but probably only $1K

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey DB, have you considered the Browning 525 CCS Elite Over/Under? I had a look at one a couple of days ago and it seems like a great rifle. The one I looked at was in 9.3x74R and had ejectors, selective safety and a fibre optic front bead. It handled and pointed really well. Not sure what the retail price is on one of those though (I live in South Africa and the rifle I was checking out was R50,000, about $5,800...but guns are always more expensive this side of the pond).

Posts: 210 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 16 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought the Blaser BF97 from Biebs. It fits your criteria very well except it is an extractor gun with double triggers (I think they are available with a single trigger). It handles quick and easy, easily regulated to your ammo, easy to scope. I am very impressed with it.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It came from me...you SHOULD be impressed :-)

Posts: 20140 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Held a nice 9.3x74R Perazzi today. Quite nice if you can handle the price.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've decided that one of many things I need to do is go on a couple of driven boar hunts in Europe.

You and me both brother. Some friends from England since finished up six days of driven boar hunts in Hungary. There were a total of approximately 10 hunters that accounted for just under 200 boar, several deer and a number of foxes. It looked and sounded like a blast. I am planning to accompany them next year. Will probably use a Chapuis 9.3x74R side-by-side or a Blaser .375. I am really looking forward to the whole experience.

Sorry for the detour.

Mike

Posts: 21391 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Group hunt! Group hunt! Group hunt!

Somebody put one of those together, sounds like a blast.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Heym 26B in 9,3x74R was originally made for the French, for hunting wild boar./ The specified the 232 Vulcan Norma factory load.

I have killed several deer and wild pigs with that load and it is a good one. I would not hesitate to shoot black bear or elk with it.

However now for the US Market Heym is regulation the 26B with the Hornady 286gr load.
I have fired a few hundred rounds of various 286gr and the 270 Speer bullet when developing loads for a friends 26B in 9,3x74R, with no problems.

It is a little thumpy off a bench, but so is a 375 H&H bolt rifle or a light 300 Win Mag.

Shooting off hand, and especially at game, the recoil is not noticed.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I really like the Zoli for a number of reasons and the droplock feature is one

And the weather resistance is another

It is also well balanced and accurate enough for long shots

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
MacD37 -- never liked having a rifle or shotgun around that I didn't use on a routine basis but time's change and I've decided that one of many things I need to do is go on a couple of driven boar hunts in Europe.

I hope to be able to do a multiple hunt trip Fall/Winter 2013-2014 - hopefully 3 consecutive week-ends with some sight-seeing in-between.

Bill I've been thinking about those driven Boar hunts i Europe for some years myself. I absolutely love wild boar hunting with a double rifle. As to the O/U double rifle, I think the one posted by Shoemaker below is a very good choice and the chambering (450/400NE 3") as well are perfect for driven boar yet is very good for Africa as well. I also like the 9.3X74R enough that I have two double rifles chambered that way.
The drop lock feature of the Zoli is a great feature as 458Win says.

Looking forward to your hunt report when you return from the Boar hunt!

quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
I really like the Zoli for a number of reasons and the droplock feature is one

And the weather resistance is another

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil, no Rustoleum spray camo?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth it doesn´t matter if it´s an O/U or a S/S, I took my friend from South Africa on a monteria here 2 weeks ago, he shot 6 boar, a medal fallow and a 10 point red stag in 3 hours with my scoped S/S .375, you will have fun !, best, Mike SW Spain

Posts: 110 | Location: SW Spain and London UK | Registered: 22 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless he's recently sold it, Kebco has a .375 Flanged that was a great buy and a beautiful rifle, and the .375 Fl is practical nowadays with brass becoming more and more available.

MacD37's offer sounds pretty good as well.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdstewart:
Unless he's recently sold it, Kebco has a .375 Flanged that was a great buy and a beautiful rifle, and the .375 Fl is practical nowadays with brass becoming more and more available.

MacD37's offer sounds pretty good as well.

DB Bill doesn't want that rifle! I bought it from him!
..................................................................... fishing

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith