Notify
Tools

Heym 470,Safari.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted
Gentlemen,
I would be interested in knowing how Rx 15 shoots in your guns,how much do you use in your loads,what speed & groups do you get at 50 & 100 yrds,at what distance do your loads cross if they do?thanks in advance.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 470NE in Merkels. My older Merkel regulated with 87gr of RL15, #2 Kynoch wad and 500gr Woodleigh solids and softs. I have not cronographed it yet, I had to get a new chronograph. I have shot 2" groups and less at 50yds and 3-4 inch groups at 100yds. My eyes are not what they used to be to shoot iron sights.
My other Merkel regulated similar to the older gun with 86gr of RL15 and everything else the same. It chronographed at 2110 with the woodleighs.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Heym 470 does not abide by RL15. This powder causes the barrels to cross at 50 yards with any reasonable load - solids or softs. Switching to a slower burning powder (RL22 or one of the 4831's) and I can find loads that regulate. My particular Heym was regulated with Romey Solids. I can get solids to easily regulate with slow powders, but softs (i.e. Woodlieighs) cross no matter what powder I use.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
heym470ne,
Woodleigh softs cross in my gun as well,but they give me 2"@50yrds & 4-5"@100yrds & so I do not feel concerned,I must admit I found it strange but the groups look good!
Maybe,Chris,new guy will comment on this.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill73:

Yes, I too have some pretty tight groups - but still crossing - with Woodleigh softs at 50 yards. Certainly minute of buff at 50 to 100 yards. In general, I have found that if I use a soft that has about the same bearing surface as the Woodleigh solids, I can get them to regulate just fine. Hawk 0.050" and 0.065" softs work as do Barnes XLC's. Unfortunately, the XLC's are no longer made and the Triple shocks cross badly - smaller surface area. Notwithstanding the fact that I don't like to put a lot of homogenious bullets through double anyways. Am anxiously awaiting the Hornady offering to see if those softs will regulate. As of right now, if I ever get to hunt buff, I'll have a Woodliegh soft inthe right and a solid in the left. That combo only crosses by arount an inch at 50 yards so should be acceptable.