THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Ghost sight for Krieghoff Classic?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ghost sight for Krieghoff Classic?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have looked around the net for ghost/peep sights for my K-Gun. On newenglandcustomguns.com i saw they have various peep sights but am not sure if any of them will mount without extenisve gunsmithing on my K-Gun. I would prefer if mounting could be done on the rear scope mount piece (over the chamber). Any ideas?

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Have you maybe considered mounting a red dot sight instead on your K-gun? All my DR' are fitted with the dokter sight,my 500-416 Krieghoff wears one,the installation was a simple matter,I have hunted Africa several times with this setup,works great.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have posed the same question to Krieghoff, as my gun is going back to be regulated for the right bullet. Not sure if the CZ550 style peep can be adapted to the back of the scope mount or not, or if it is too high or too wide to go there.
Tough when I don't have the gun or the sight to look at. See what they have to say about that, hopefully this month.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norsk,
Send questions and comments to New England Custom Guns (see their website). They will answer, and let you know their thoughts on the matter, as they relate to sights they sell.

Posts: 121 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way, that is a Recknagel sight, and it appears that NECG has a modified version avail as well. I think it was Brownell's had them on their site, with dimensions, think it was 19/32" high, 1.25" od on width, and needs an 11/16" dovetail.

Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Emailed NECG and got a swift reply from Todd. He thought their 108 (catalog) sight might fit but looking at it it is a peep sight (not open ring) and is not right for my purpose. I replied with this and am waiting for a reply. He also pointed out that i would need a taller front sight to match a peep sight mounted.

I am selling my aimpoint micro now and going back to iron. Am dead set on getting a ghost sight fitted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently added a ghost ring made by XS on my Merkel .375. I had to have my gunsmith make some changes and add height to the front sight. It works great now. I'll try to get some photos posted over the next couple of days. I tired from driving all day and need some rest.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds great...

Recknagel replied they don't make ghost sights for krieghoff classic.

I have been looking at this:

http://www.newenglandcustomgun...Brand_id=5933&ST=The NEW CZ 527 Ghost Ring Peep Sight

But am not sure if it will fit on the rear scope mounting bracket on the Krieghoff classic...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norsk. I have one that fits my K gun/ I think it was poriginally favtory but I got the gun 2nd hand so not positive.

If you are in the states and need to borrowit to make one match I will be glad to send it to you.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in Norway so the trip would be long Wink

Do you have a picture of it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can take a pic and as son as I figure outwhere my calipers are I can do a set of drawings with measurements.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are right, in that Recknagel doen't make that sight to fit the K-gun, but,it may possibly be adaptable to it. I expect the 527 sight is a bit smaller than the 550 sight, but, may have to be modified a bit also. As it is a dovetail mount, it can be adapted, but, may be too high, with an adaptor. I think it was 1/32 higher than the express sight as is. It's like a lot of things, if it is close enough to work,modify to suit.
It's a thought, anyway. Whether it's a good one or not remains to be found out.

Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.flickr.com/photos/d...2455689182/lightbox/

Picture mounted on K-gun (just not tightened)

I just bought it used from a guy living here in Norway...

He says it needs to be modded a little as the wheel contacts the barrel. I was thinking using a dremel on the inside of the wheel andre reblueing would suffice... Not sure if it is adjustable though...Edit: It is adjustable both v/e.

And you are probably right 209, I would think it is a little taller than the Express rear sight. It will therefore probably be neccesary With a taller front sight. Not sure if that will be hard to find for my K-gun?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That should work, that being an ERA sight, I may have to do a bit more research here. If it is close to the right height, the ring can be lowered on that sight. Could possibly put a spacer on the knob to push it away from the barrel also, or chuck it up in a drill and file it down a bit on the knob.
Definitely has possibilities.
Thanks, Norsk.

Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sold my aimpoing micro yesterday, so now it is no way back Wink

Spacer on the knob would be the most elegant solution if it is possible.

I will have to see about the height when i get the sight, but I am pretty sure it is not possible to get it low enough to be on target with the existing front sight (will shoot high).

Anyone know if drop in (or near drop in) front sights of different height can be bought for krieghoff classics?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another idea, I am going to look into is a few versions of a Williams sight. They have a WGRS that may be usable if I can find one with the right base, and a Firesight Ghost ring, and a Ghost ring for the 5D sight, any of which may be adaptable for this purpose.
http://www.brownells.com/rifle...ights-prod16154.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/rifle...-ring-prod30914.aspx

May also be that this Ameriglo setup could be usable, need a bit more info on it though;

http://www.brownells.com/handg...aspx#producttabSpecs

Have to go see what I can find in this stuff, to physically look at. May find an old AJ Parker sight or something similar and cut and modify to suit also.

There is a gun how here this weekend, will start from there.

Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting... Are you also mounting on k-gun 209?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea, waiting to hear from them, on what they can do for a peep/ghost ring setup on it, as the gun is back there, to be re-regulated for the right bullet weight.
We shall see what they have in their bag of tricks, or not, as far as the peep setup goes.
I dropped the ball on asking about that, the first time around. I was told about a change on the sights, as they couldn't do what I first asked for, because of the scope mount, and forgot about it. And I'd like to have them set it up for it, instead of me doing it.
However, it is fun researching options in the meantime. And there is a chance, I will be able to physically check a Classic, for dimensions in that area this weekend. Could be one to check at a Safari Outfitter's show here, maybe.

Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Krieghoff.de have not been very helpful assisting me with questions regarding ghost ring rear sight and also a fitting front sight.

All they said is they did not know of any ghost ring sights that would fit (i found the recknagel that does) and that the front sight taller) would have to be a custom gunsmithing job.

All in all not very helpful at all. So I would not bet on Krieghoff sorting out your request there... but who knows? ..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya, dat vil reqvire some tinking outzide of the box for dem. Time for some superior German engineering to be applied. May well be a case of having to make them think that they thought of it first. Would be an item to help them get a bit ahead of the curve in product offerings though.

Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After 4 hours with a dremel tool and ransacking the garage for small parts I managed to mount the sight. For it to not be too high for my liking I modded it so it is no longer adjustable horizontally. I adjusted it all the way down and even lowered it a little beyond that (dremel). Indexing with the Express sights I am pretty sure the gun will shoot high (Express sights align in the bottom of the circle). Probably no way around changing the front sight (taller) Frowner I was hoping i would get around that. Off to the range this weekend, hoping the gun at least shoots straight horizontally even though it is going to shoot high. Then all I need is a taller front sight. The hole seems a little too small also and also might need to be opened up a little.. I will see.

Phew...

Would a good way to choose front sight height be to get a front sight that is tall enough that it aligns with the existing express sights in the center of the ghost ring

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried to predict the POI by calculating based on how much the ghost ring is off (higher) compared to the express sight, sight radius and distance to target. If the calculations are right, I should just be around 25cm high (1.7mm in the ghost ring ends up around there) at 100 yards, probably closer to 20cm (7 inches) since i am shooting 5cm low with the express sight. I prefer sighting in so I am shooting 6 o'clock at 100m, especially with a caliber like this but this will probably be more like 3 o'clock low. Well who knows before I come back from the range.

It looks decent except for me having used some nuts and shims temporarily for fastening it...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are some Pictures of it in all its unfinished roughness Wink

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9...25/#photo_8372602225

I got it low enough without changing front sight!!! The bottom of the ring (but not the peep hole) melts a little into the base (I have dremelled it a lot)! Needs re-blueing. Also ordered a fitting black sleeve for the fastening wheel so I can get rid of those ugly nuts...

Shoots dead on at 100m maybe an inch to the left but that may also be me and the trigger pull disagreeing a little. So it worked!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the range yesterday. It seems I am shooting 2 inches to the left at 100m. The sight is no longer adjustable. Any ideas of how to fix this? I have been thinking about boring the ghost ring a little on the inside, skewing it to the right but the ring would no longer be perfectly round then... Perhaps not a good idea. Then maybe bending the front sight a little would work.. Grr it works, but I want it to be perfectly dead centre!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't tell from the pic just what you have left to work with. But, one thought that occurs is flipping the sight 180deg and shimming the right side against the rib. Take a bit of fiddling to get it, but, it could likely be done with some steel bed acraglas to file down to width to shim it, once you know how much you need. I would try some pieces of automotive differential shims or kingpin shims to set it up with. If there is a machine shop around there , they should have shimstock, or truck repair shop may have some diff shims you can cut to size, to slip in there to set it up.
Shims may be harder to find under.003, you likely need more than that anyway. Sisu, Man, Volvo,Mercedes, all use them.
Once it is set up, then maybe the acraglas or JB weld can be used to replace the shims, or anchor them to the sight. May be able to use solder also, as you have to reblue it you are probably good to do it that way also.

Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried to understand that but I think I failed... Two reasons a) My English b) My Tech skills. Could you simplify please... Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, two inches left @ 100m sounds better than the work you may have to do, to the base of the sight, to get it to work over to centre. What is causing the stoppage of the right windage adjustment? If you turn the whole sight around and shoot it, where does it hit?

I O ring I--- knob

knob ----I O I

Being that you're saying you can't adjust the sight to the right, the only way I can think of, is to shift the whole sight to the right. As it is presently mounted, You have to remove material from the fixed side on the base. Probably not a good idea, unless you add material on the outside of the fixed side, to reinforce it, to make up for what you removed, for strength.
Only other way, is to turn the whole sight around, 180 Degrees, and add material to the inside of the fixed side of the base, which also shifts the whole thing to the right. Then you'd have to turn the ghost ring around, to face you properly. If you can. And the sight would be on there "backwards". Unless you can just turn the base around on that sight, which I doubt.
Is there a way to remove material from the stop, on the right side of the adjustable block? Have you separated the top from the base to look at that? That may be the best way, if you can do that.

My little drawing failed, takes all the spaces out when posted.

Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Going to play around with it and see what I end up with... Tanks a lot 209 Jones. I understand the explanation now Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I messed around a little more with the sight and it should now be dead on at 100 yards. I had to force it to the right and the fasten it firmly. Got about 1/2 milimeter to the right on the rear sight that should translate to around 8 cm or so at 100 m Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you got that out of it. Sometimes you just have to convince these mechanical contraptions that they are going to cooperate---or else!!!

Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got asked what size bead I want on it, tu2 looks like Krieghoff will put those sights on, they will have to build a custom front sight for it. But, it appears to be happening.

Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR