THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Caught the DR bug at the DSC convention..now which one to buy??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caught the DR bug at the DSC convention..now which one to buy??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted
Actually, I have always had the bug, but my girlfriend had a great time at the convention and has decided a double rifle would be a great birthday present. Who am I to argue that!!! Now the hard part....which one to choose? Looked at the Merkel's, Krieghoff's, and Chapuis' at the show. Did not like the Merkel. Champlins is high on the Frenchy. I liked the Krieghoff. I am certain this topic had been beaten to death, but some of repetitive thread are better than others. What do you guys think?

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you should get the one you like the best. I also recommend you take a look at the Heym.
I have shot all 4 of them in 470 plus a Merkel in 500.

I have 2 British Big Bores and a Chapuis in 9,3x74R.

Get the one that fits you the best.

The new Heym in 450/400 3" is worth a hard look.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where abouts in Texas are you?
We will probably do another DRSS Shoot/Hunt around March at the 4K Ranch.

If you come you can handle and shoot several doubles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A double rifle for a b-day present???? I want to know if she has a sister!

But in reality, get the one that fits....and you'll know it when you throw it up to your shoulder. Don't leave Searcy out of the mix unless you're horrendously impatient like me.
I personally like the Merkel...I have a 470...and I just stole a Heym in 458 that I'm having rechambered to 450 NE and it has matching 12 ga barrels. I'm not personally found of the Kraigie "safety"..although if you like it, they are fine guns.
Good luck on your decision....and hang on tight to that girlfriend.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Where abouts in Texas are you?
We will probably do another DRSS Shoot/Hunt around March at the 4K Ranch.

If you come you can handle and shoot several doubles.

N E 450 No2:

Thanks for the kind offer. I split time between Houston, Nashville and Scottsdale. Unfortunately I will be in Scottsdale that weekend. Let me have a raincheck for sometime in the future please.

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We do not have an exact date yet so watch for our posts about it in the future.

one of us
posted Hide Post
hey tony would you be interested in going to aust on a cull hunt???? im looking for a few people that iv meet to come along at least 3-4 people.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think Vintage U.K. built, it you want a strong investment as well.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
700 Depends on when, how many animals, and of course the price.

I have a "lot of irons" in the fire right now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
there are unlimted animals........probbaly at least
200-300+ each

i was told to bring 1000 round of ammo for a 5 day hunt.

probably near the end of 08 closer to august sept...

i will go by my self if i have to.

1x1 5500$ 2x1 2x2 4000 each 2x1 i belive 4500$ these are very close +/- 150$

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What kind of animals would we be shooting. I am interested. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a lot of research before I bought my first double and handled quite a few.

I bought a Heym, and I am very happy with it. It fits exceedingly well - the comparison I make is that it feels like a Westley Richards. Balance is incredible. It does NOT have an auto safety or cocking levers. It comes standard with articulated front trigger, cocking indicators, intercepting sears (which add up quickly on those makes that count such features as extras).

And it is very accurate.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
As I understand it, Heym is bringing out a 450/400 3 inch. It should be available in the fall of this year. Heym makes a darn good rifle!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I missed the DSC and DRSS! They were to be crucial to my decision on a DR. As far as that decision is concerned, my head is spinning!

All options have their strong points. Buy any modern gun new, starting with the Heym 88 on down, hunt it/shoot it a good amount and you will lose a little money if you sell it sooner than later, not to mention if the gun is built for you and not off the shelf. If you keep it, not an issue.

If ejectors are not a must the Merkel is a no brainer but not at full retail. I want ejectors. The Chapuis is looking good, but only on group buy/from Dale, but don't like where the money goes. Searcy's good, the money stays here, but maybe not English enough in the final result. Heym IS a great rifle but for $15-17K I'll buy English.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Showbart:
I missed the DSC and DRSS! They were to be crucial to my decision on a DR. As far as that decision is concerned, my head is spinning!

All options have their strong points. Buy any modern gun new, starting with the Heym 88 on down, hunt it/shoot it a good amount and you will lose a little money if you sell it sooner than later, not to mention if the gun is built for you and not off the shelf. If you keep it, not an issue.

If ejectors are not a must the Merkel is a no brainer but not at full retail. I want ejectors. The Chapuis is looking good, but only on group buy/from Dale, but don't like where the money goes. Searcy's good, the money stays here, but maybe not English enough in the final result. Heym IS a great rifle but for $15-17K I'll buy English.

Showbart,

What is the "group buy/from Dale" you are referring to?

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Ther is a mass/group buy of Chapuis rifles thru Dale "DLN " on here. Look down the threads for the info.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know how long the group buy is for. But Dale is a great guy and he's an importer for Chapuis amongst others. If I were for certain buying a new Chapuis I'd buy from him regardless. I'm going to Houston Safari Club convention tomorrow. I should know my decision after that.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CHAPUIS GROUP BUY - 20% DISCOUNT

dale indicated he'd keep taking orders until he was advised of a price increase from the factory.

dale nygaard 1-320-963-5551

dln@lakedalelink.net

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Showbart:
Where do you find a good English Double for 12-15k?

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote