THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    got my first double today, Merkel 141E
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

got my first double today, Merkel 141E
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted
I picked up my first double rifle today, a Merkel 141E in 9.3x74R. It has game scenes engraved on the receiver, front set trigger and ejectors. It is on a 28ga frame. I got a scope mount with a Kahles CSX 1.1x4 for it, and Herbert regulated the barrels for the Norma ammo with 285gr bullets.

I can't wait to shoot it this weekend.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. I can't wait to see the pictures and read the range report.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11245 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats, I recently purchased a Chapius in the 9.3X74 and it is sweet. I am sure you will get lots of fun from that rifle.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Congratulations ............ beer
The 9.3X74R double rifle is one of the most usable rifles in the world. They are light to carry all day, large enough to handle just about anything quite handily short of elephant, and even ele has been taken with this little rifle/chambering combination though not my choice for that purpose, and bottom choice for a Cape buffalo rifle.

The little Merkel 141E is a handy little rifle and very well made. I have a Merkel 140E-1, 9.3X74R double that I have had for a little over ten years, and it is about my favorite double rifle for general hunting, and is paired with a 10 yr old Merkel 140-2 Safari 470NE for a travel pair. Both are real shooters, and have about replaced all my other double rifle because they seem to be the two I take on most trips while the others stay in the vault.

............................. BOOM............ holycow

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats and enjoy!!

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Good luck and great shooting.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You remind me of an incident ...my 1st. purchase of a DR. I had stopped to use a laundromat in Romorantin, France ....went for a walk....and stumbled upon a wonderful gunshop ("Lechtine"), with absolutely beautiful long-guns. I handled several, including a ridiculously lightweight 9.3x74R double made in France, and in beautiful shape. There was nothing fancy about it....but it was obviously well-made and in perfect shape, tho' used. Price was (in USD equivalent) about 2,300. There was a gunsmith shop associated, and just across the alley. The head 'smith suggested he take measurements, and apply an appropriate buttpad, then regulate it for me. He offered to mount any scope I would sent to him, with a set of his EAW mounts. Well, getting it to the USA took about a year, but it's a fun and truly accurate - if brutal - shoot (weight is under 7 lbs.). I'm going to put a merc. tube in the butt, with hopes of a less uncomfortable recoil.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your first double. Sure you'll enjoy!

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
A 9,3x74R double rifle is a most excellent hunting rifle.

I have taken more different types of game with a 9,3x74R double that all my other rifles combined, including giraffe, cape buff and elephant.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I took the 141 to the range today. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or maybe I need Hurbert to take a look at it.

I know double rifles take a little different technique to shoot. I was sitting erect at the bench with the forearm rested on my hand that was laying on a sandbag. I tried gripping the gun and pushing it into my shoulder as well as a loose grip. The loose grip worked best and I pulled the gun firmly into my shoulder with my firing hand.

I used Norma ammo with the 235gr ammo that was used at the factory to regulate it at 100m as well as 285gr ammo (same lot) that Hurbert used to zero it.

I originally tried the irons at 50M with the 285gr ammo. It shot poorly. I tried the 235gr ammo thinking it may shoot that better. It did but not by much. Iron sights did not appear to regulated. I always carry a test gun (something that I know shoots well so I can see if I am having a bad day). This day I had a Shiloh Sharps in 50-70 and a Model 70 in 375 H&H. I popped the scope off the 375 and put 3 shots touching in the bull using the iron sights.

I put the scope on the Merkel and fired 3, 2 shot groups, firing each barrel and then letting it cool between groups. A typical target at 50M was with three shots in the bull from the right barrel (fired first), and 3 shots 2" low and 3" to the right from the LEFT barrel (fired second shot of each group). It appears as if the barrels are crossed. At 100M, the right barrel was about an inch below the bull and the left barrel shot lower and to the right completely off the paper. This was about typical of the day.

Again, I checked myself. I shot 10 shots with my 50-70 Sharps (iron sights) into about 2", center mass, at 100M. I put the scope back on the 375 and shot a 5 shot group into about 1 1/2" at 100M. At least I confirmed I can still shoot, but what is wrong with me and the double?

I'll give Merkel a call Monday and find out what exactly was done when it was regulated.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
I was sitting erect at the bench with the forearm rested on my hand that was laying on a sandbag.

At least I confirmed I can still shoot, but what is wrong with me and the double?

Try it again while standing. Doubles generally don't do well off a bench in bags.

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, my range is set up to support the most incompetent people on the planet. The range is set up in such a way that you practically fire through a port on the bench.

I try to rest the firearms as best I can to simulate shooting off of cross sticks or a field rest.