THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Bison cow no match for 500NE
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bison cow no match for 500NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted
I had the oportunity to shoot a bison cow Saturday. I knew this was not going to be a hunt in the truest sense, but the rancher who sold me the cow said if we didn't put it down in the open we wouldn't be able to use his tractor to carry it back to the barn. This was not a true wild bison but she was not a tame pet either. She didn't like me walking up to her and I think she would have run me down had I given her the chance. The 500 nitro spoke and she went down. Nothing all that exciting but I volunteered to donate meat for my church's wild game cookout we will be doing next month. I think there will be enough to eat for a few people.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Nice looking cow Brian! What bullet di you use?

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
570gr Woodleigh softs, complete passthrough

Savannah Safaris Namibia
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What reload recipe are you using for the 500 grain Woodleighs? I am currently working on coming up with the best load for my Merkel .500NE.

Nice looking buff.

Thanks

Posts: 55 | Location: West Point, NY | Registered: 16 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Was that bison in Texas?

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Brian,
where did you place the shot?
The first animal that I ever killed was a cow bison,I used a sharps for that one,the meat was fabulous! You're going to be quite popular with the church people.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
B1,

Good goin' - but please post again with some more details to this story! clap

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
The loads I am using in this gun are 96 grains of reloader-15. It regulates well and doesn't overstress the action.
BigFiveJack,
As I stated above, it was not a true hunt. The first shot through the right shoulder and out the left shoulder turned her and the second shot while she was quartering away from me went through right rear quarter and exited left front quarter. Second bullet had more than 4' (four feet) of penetration. Neither bullet was recovered. I intend on taking this rifle to Zim this summer on a cape buf hunt. I think it will work provided I can get close ehough for a shot.
This bison was taken in north Texas hear close to our gun shop.

Savannah Safaris Namibia
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brain1
What is the make and other details of your 500?

Are you going to take that sweet little Merkel 9,3x74R with you as well??

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
quote:
sweet little Merkel 9,3x74R

I can still see the scare on his nose from shooting that "sweet" little Merkel from the shooting house at 4K! jumping sofa

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
I don't know if the 9.3 will get to go this trip. I am waiting on an email as to what the PH will be requesting. The 500 will go but I also have a 416 Rigby and a 375 H&H, both bolt guns.

Savannah Safaris Namibia
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA