Notify
Tools

Rigby added to collection
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted
http://littlejohnsauctionservi...q=Rigby+double+rifle

A friends 450/400 added to vintage collection...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
That is one beautiful double!
I have a 450/400 2-3/8” rifle - an Alex Henry falling block - but have yet to get loading for it.
I think the little 450/400 would make for a wonderful small deer rifle from the ballistics and I look forward to working with mine.

Posts: 3243 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike,

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! Are we to understand that YOU have added this to YOUR own collection?
If yes, then congratulations on becoming the owner of such a beautiful rifle! If not you, then congratulations
to who ever!

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I am IMPRESSED....and ENVIOUS!! Congratulations...is it a 3" or 31/4"??
What a way to start the new year....Have a Happy!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2600 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
...is it a 3" or 31/4"??

2-3/8”, correct?

I could be totally content with only BPE rifles such as this Rigby.

Posts: 3243 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
There sure is a 2 3/8" too, it was the original 450-400. The 3 1/4 originally was a BP round as well.

It is a treasure...anything starting with R is a keeper!!..... like we say here in the Northwest for Rainier Beer.... vitamin R!!

CHEERS,

470EDDY

Posts: 2600 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a 3 1/4 for the 250 grain projectile.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Perfect!! Much easier to get brass for that!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle. A real piece of male jewellery Wink

About 10 years ago I saw a 2 barrel of Rigby hammer NE rifle in 450 & 303 with the late Din Collings in Wellington.

It was found by a guy under a lot of junk in a barn on the farm! Probably belonged to his grandfather.

The wood grain was amazing and still glowed red and amber in some places that were not so dirty. The 303 barrels looked very dark while the 450 looked ok. A lot of grease / oil and dirt with some rust on it.

The owner wanted in cleaned and freshened up. Robert Dollimore (ex Purdy) quoted his priced and the guy balked at it and went to Din. Din said that it will take time and a lot of soaking to lift the rust and then a lot of patience.

I wanted to buy it but never got the guys number and then he just took back the gun and never heard about it.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
It's a 3 1/4 for the 250 grain projectile.

Funny, I have no idea why I was thinking it is a 2-3/8” gun. Thought I had read that it was somewhere...

Lovely rifle for sure!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Huvius, both cartridge and bullet weight are engraved on the barrels. I have seen one or two 2 3/8 cased Rigby's for sale recently.