THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Need Help With Double Rifle Values
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Help With Double Rifle Values
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
There are 2 double rifles coming up in an auction and I would like some help from those of you more familiar with the market to place values on these. These aren't exactly what I want, but if I can get a deal on one I can live with it. The rifle descriptions are below. Your help is much appreciated.

Signed Doreen Grill Master Engraved Merkel Model 140-2 Safari Series Double Barrel Rifle with Box

Blade ramp front sight, one standing, 2 folding leaf express rear sight, with a high visibility yellow triangle on the front leaf, on a matted quarter rib. Barrels marked "MERKEL USA INC. TRUSSVILLE, AL./GEBR. MERKEL SUHL/MADE IN GERMANY" on the left side and "Safari 375 H&H" on the right side. Each barrel has a small wedge of scroll engraving on the chamber sides. Sling swivel on the bottom rib. Scroll engraved Anson & Deely box lock scalloped action, with a cape buffalo in a marsh scene on the left side and African lion in a plains scene on the right side. The left side is signed "DG" for Master Engraver Doreen Grill. The engraving design extends to the trigger guard, break lever, forearm knuckle, with a decorative simple line and zigzag design on the forearm release assembly. With side clips, cocking indicators, double triggers, and tang safety. Mounted with extra fancy straight grain checkered English walnut forearm and pistol grip stock with a black plastic grip cap, cheek piece, solid Merkel recoil pad, and sling swivel. Length of pull 14 3/4 inches. Complete with the original box numbered to the gun and papers including full factory warranty. New in the box. The box is very good.

Engraved Krieghoff Classic Big Five Double Rifle with Extra Shotgun Barrels

This is an exceptional example of a Classic Big Five Double Rifle as manufactured by the Krieghoff, Heinrich, Gun Company. The Big Five Double Rifle is similar to the standard classic rifle except it is available in the larger calibers. It was introduced in 1997 and is imported from Germany by Krieghoff International. This particular rifle features a blade front sight on a raised ramp and a fixed iron rear sight on a quarter rib. There is a "ERA" marked scope base and scope rings mounted on the quarter rib. The top of the rear ring is marked "470". The barrels are 23 1/2 inches in length, finished blue and marked "470 NE" on each flat, and the forward lug is marked with an "eagle/N" proof, "A1", the Ulm antler proof and "GERMANY". There is a sling swivel eye mounted on the underside and the barrels are equipped with an extractor. The shotgun barrels are 28 inches in length and feature an ivory front and steel bead mid sights on the solid matte rib, each flat is marked "20/76", equipped with an extractor, with 3 inch chambers, choke at full/improved modified, sling swivel eye on the bottom, with matching forearm and numbered to the gun. The box lock action and remaining parts are finished in polished coin. The action is lightly engraved with floral scroll designs and is marked "KRIEGHOFF/CLASSIC" on the underside. This rifle also features polished double triggers, a large manual "Combi" cocking device on the upper tang, specially weighted stock bolt for weight and balance and a steel trigger guard. The rifle is mounted with fancy European walnut with a finely multi point checkered Schnabel tip forearm and pistol grip stock, with cheekpiece, sling swivel stud and solid black rubber Schaftkappe recoil pad. Length of pull is 14 3/4 inches. Excellent plus. The rifle retains 99% plus original blue and coin finish with only a few light handling/storage marks. The shotgun barrels are near new with only the slightest handling/storage marks.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We need photographs Man. Photographs.

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Martinez:
We need photographs Man. Photographs.

The best I can do is provide links to the pages on the auction web site. I won't see the rifles unless and until I actually show up at the auction, and there is no point in going unless I know what the rifles are worth. You can see my problem. Anyway, here are the links:

I like the looks of this one best, but I already have a .375 (bolt trash hilbily ).
www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/54/lid/3505

I like the shotgun barrels with this one, but I really want a .450 NE rather than a .470.
www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/54/lid/3526

I hope this helps you. I know these aren't the best pictures, but it's the best I can do. Thanks, guys!

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Nice guns, both. Prices estimated appear to be right in the ball park. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Merkel is new but the 375H+H on that receiver (too much pressure in the cartridge and you can not load them fast, the greener crossbold in relation to a rimeless cartridge where you have to press the cases into the ectractors, I think just a no go) would be not my choice. I do not like the trigger on the boxlocke from Merkel. I think I would not even bet 4000 for that gun. There are too many things which I dislike on that gun and caliber combination.

The Krieghoff is there much better using a rimed cartridge. But the gun is use. So that came also to 50% of the new price. The engraving is only the minimal that they offer instead of nothing. Such a rifle new cost EUR 5000. Max USD 7000. So more then 4000 I would not bet in any case.

The Merkel is an old model the new one has ejectors and is named 140AE. Cost EUR 7250 (USD 9500). Just to compare the offers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Number one rule in doubles is never buy one that is not in a rimmed cartridge, end of story..

I don't like the Krieghoff at all, to me it has a very long awkard action and its poorly balanced and points like a log..I also think the safety is a disaster personified, however some folks like them but they probably like Broccoli also... rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"they probably like brocolli also " LOL, best, Mike Smiler

Posts: 110 | Location: SW Spain and London UK | Registered: 22 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
awkard

at atkinson

The Krieghoff Classic is a total other construction then the O/U K80.

The balance is good, the triggers are ecellent.

There is no Greener crossbolt some have (Africa models) a Purday nose.

There is no ejector.