THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Caliber Recommendation - Lower 48 States
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caliber Recommendation - Lower 48 States
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
DR, again EVERYTHING considered, there is not a better calibre for a double rifle to be used in the lower 48 for all game avialable than the 9,3x74R.

It will work gret for even the BIG bears in Alaska, for ALL plains game in Africa, and even if well handled in Africa, for giraffe, cape buff and elephants.

The 9,3x74R is one of the BEST hunting calibres on the Planet...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
DR, again EVERYTHING considered, there is not a better calibre for a double rifle to be used in the lower 48 for all game avialable than the 9,3x74R.

It will work gret for even the BIG bears in Alaska, for ALL plains game in Africa, and even if well handled in Africa, for giraffe, cape buff and elephants.

No one can argue against the truth of the above. tu2

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D R Hunter:
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:

No one can argue against the truth of the above. tu2

Plus one! tu2

I have seven double rifles and the one I use the most is my 9.3X74R Merkel 140E-1 It weighs 8.3 pounds and is absolutely balanced perfectly. I have no trouble pole-axing running 250 to 300 pound wild boar from muzzle to 200 yds, or hitting mule deer with it.

I personally witnessed 450#2 (Tony) hit a coyote at 278 yds with the first shot, a little far back causing the coyote to spin in place, and the second barrel pole-axed the coyote for good, with his scoped Chapuis 9.3.

For North America an 8 pound of less well made double rifle chambered for 9.3X74R is perfect for anything here, and even in Africa, and with a quick detach scope, even better.

.................................................................. patriot

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I would highly recommend the .348 Winchester. It is the perfect DR for NA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36854 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
D R,

Just saw this thread.

Reading it, My first thought for what your wanting to hunt in NA was a 303 followed by a 7.62x54R.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Tony won't tell ya, but he has hit a coyote at 278 yards (shot witnessed and range lasered) with both rounds from his 9.3X74R Chapuis double.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I've got the gun you want. But unfortunately it's not for sale. It's a beautiful little Parker 30-30 shotgun conversion that couldn't have been done up better, and with all the accessories that could be conjured up for it.

Anyway, my rundown and recommendations - the 9.3 is roughly the equal to a 375 H&H and both imo are way overkill for the game on your list of intended victims.

And the 45-70 in the standard factory loading has the trajectory of a basketball.

The 8mm is not the kind of traditional American cartridge I'd go for in this project.

So, my top three:

30-30 Win
348 Win
405 Win

Personally I have to agree with Lane Easter - I much like the 348 Win. (it's a straight wall you know and has 30-06 ballistics, which is perfect for the game on your list). BUT, with these three the only real problems are finding the right shotgun to use for a platform, cost and finding the right builder. And, you could take a bath on selling if you put too much money into it.

And finally there's another great option. As an investment, it's easily your best bet. Get a Searcy double rifle in 450/400 and use the reduced load. Its reduced ballistics are roughly like a hotted up 45-70 (only thing is, you can't go back and forth between loads without sighting and scope adjustments). Or, just shoot it "as is". The recoil with the full loads ain't bad (unless from a tree stand).

That's your best of both worlds, and it's what I've done. My two DBs are the Searcy and the Parker.

I hope this covers it and is helpful.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
How about a 303 British?

Hornady, Remington, Federal, Winchester and others have factory loaded ammo and its good for everything on your list.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
I like 'em a little "fatter" Shack and CCMDoc! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
405 Win is a contender, 9.3x74R certainly, .375x74R,
a heated up load in 45-70, and some more!

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like 'em a little "fatter" Shack and CCMDoc! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
405 Win is a contender, 9.3x74R certainly, .375x74R,
a heated up load in 45-70, and some more!

Well then 45/70 is the way to go.
Lots of loads and Hornady's Levereverlution stretches the range plenty and still carries all the thump you need.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Strange...

Nobody have mentioned the 8x57 IRS ??
A splendid round for medium game Smiler

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Even though I would opt for the .348 Win...you could go with the .33 Win and have your pick of all the .338 bullets out there. In a double...you can seat out as long as you make the throat.

.348 Win though is even good griz medicine...with Northfork bullets or Barnes originals.

.405 Win would be my second pick.

Followed by .45-90.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36854 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metric:
Strange...

M

And, that would be my choise, as with 200NP's loaded in mine, it's worked perfectly for me, on everything from moose on down!

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shack:

Personally I have to agree with Lane Easter - I much like the 348 Win. (it's a straight wall you know...)

Hi Shack,

I respectfully submit that the examples and
drawings that I have seen of the 348 Win. show
it to be bottlenecked. It's base is .553" and it's
brass length is 2.255" per Cart's of the World.

D/R Hunter

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Shack:

Personally I have to agree with Lane Easter - I much like the 348 Win. (it's a straight wall you know...)

Hi Shack,

I respectfully submit that the examples and
drawings that I have seen of the 348 Win. show
it to be bottlenecked. It's base is .553" and it's
brass length is 2.255" per Cart's of the World.

No doubt that the .348 Win is a bottleneck cartridge (I have a couple). But it has all of the characteristics of a good double cartridge...tapered case, strong rim, and moderate pressure. At double-rifle ranges...it'll take anything in NA and for sure the lower 48.

And...it is an American cartridge making it the perfect choice for a NA double.

.405 Winchester, .33 Winchester would also fill the bill.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your 9.5x74 is either a wildcat or a misprint but I can tell you a 9.5x74 would be a nice wildcat for sure..

I shoot a 9.5x62 Mauser and a 286 Nosler at 2525 or a tad more depending on my load, is a awesome NA caliber for anything including the biggest of big bears.

It will also get you by with 300 gr. Swifts or a 300 gr. solid at 2396 FPS on buff and elephant.

A plus is moderate recoil by comparison.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metric:
Strange...

M

An excellent choice. A good 200gr bullet at 2500fps will cover anything in the lower 48. Getting the ammo and brass can be a challenge here in the US.

Here are 5-shots from my O/U 8x57 rimmed at 200-yards.

@ 3.5" drop from 100-yard zero.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Getting ammo in the US is absolutely no problem; S&B 8x57 JRS is readily available in two different bullet styles. I just bought 120 rounds; it is cheaper than buying brass. And you can use standard 8x57 dies so you don't need special, expensive dies to reload it.

Posts: 17179 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably a bad location to mention this, but as much as I love a good double, own a few and used them extensively, but I'm a practical sort and and can't see hunting elk or deer in Idaho with a double as shots can be across some big canyons, but if push came to shove I would opt for a 375 Flanged and hunt the dark timber swamps only. My main concern with a double is at somewhere around 100 to 150 yards they cross and accuracy becomes increasingly worse. I have shot a lot of doubles at 250, 300 and 400 yards at our range, and the ones I shot performed like a slug shotgun at those ranges, they shot patterns not groups. I decided I was trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear...I'll stick with using them on Cape Buffalo, elephant, and the game they were intended for and maybe for use in the thickest stuff for whatever.

But in my real world, I'll be using my .338 or 30-06 bolt action in all liklyhood. Elk hunts these days with or without a guide are damn expensive and I want every edge I can get.

Now I suppose I have to duck for cover, as the radicals of doubles attack with a vengence, as I have commited the gravest of sins, I would have been better off to have molested their daughter, and wives, shot their dog, and stole their horse..a hanging offence! 2020 sofa diggin

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
What about those who hunt such game with single shot muzzle loaders?

D/R Hunter