THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Questions for Krieghoff Classic owners/users.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions for Krieghoff Classic owners/users.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Guys

I'm interested in feedback from owners or users of small calibre Classics. Specifically what calibre have you got, is it scoped and if so what scope and mounts, and how much does it weigh? Also how have you found the regulating screw feature in muzzles? Does the rifle shoot equally well with opens and scope?
Anything else relevant to this rifle would also be welcome - please no discussion tho of pros and cons of the cocking device.

Cheers.

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello GG375,

JMO, I find the O/U configuration more to my liking in 9.3x74R or smaller calibers. I also "see" these in Euro calibers.

Krieghoff DOES build O/Us.

My "eye" sees O/U's as very elegant, very stately, very correct in these "smaller" calibers.

And, very appropriate to mount a scope.

SxS to me means dangerous game. British calibers, 450/400 or larger

Wider sighting plane, smaller opening angle, in a skilled hunter's hands faster reload, and not too often scoped.

At .375 caliber I lean toward SxS, but don't rule out O/U.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
I own a Classic in .30-06 and a Classic Big 5 in 500/416 with another set of 9.3x74R barrels.

I've used my .30-06 in Africa on PG and here on deer. In Africa I shot a springbuck at a later measured (Laser) 210 meters. Plenty accurate for my hunting uses. It was then topped with a Kahles 1.1-4 30mm scope. It now wears the Kahles 1.5-6 since I am willing to stretch out a bit with it. Last fall here I took 2 whitetail does that were running across my path at 90-100 yards. One with each barrel. A week later I took 2 more does (We can harvest up to 5 right on my property due to intensive harvest rules) with one shot from my 9.3x74. I Love a hunting double. There are others here that have used their rifles on even longer shots on varmints, etc.

My '06 & 9.3 barrels have their scopes in a set of Warne QD rings on the simple mount offered by Eurogun Imports. You can see pictures here:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976446221.htm

I recently scoped my 500/416 with a swing off mount offered by Krieghoff. At 100 yards, this is the target it shoots after regulation:

The 500/416 is now ready for my trip to Mozambique in September. All I have to do is a bit more practice this summer.

The 500/416 has the Krieghoff Hi-Vis sight. Butt ugly but works with my failing near vision. Plenty accurate to bang a 12" hanging metal plate at 50 & 100 yards off shooting sticks.

I like mine a bunch. Not every one here thinks much of them. You take all their fun away asking for no the debate on the combi cocking/safety device.

Here's a link to a recent AR discussion on the Krieghoff Classics you may find informative.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tp.../443104914#443104914

Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like any further info on my rifles.

Good Luck.

Mike

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 676 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote