Find
Notify
Tools

Small Bore double
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Does anyone make a double is something small bore?? Even old low pressure rounds would be fine. Just something to shoot off the back porch.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Roscoe Stephenson
posted Hide Post
Chapuis chambers their double rifle in .30-30 Win. Also 8x57JRS.

Curl

RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Posts: 39 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chapuis and Heym have made doubles in .22 Hornet, as have others.

Of course, for goofing around Pedersoli makes a .50 cal muzzleloader.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10513 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Merkels are available in 308, 30-06, 7x57R, etc.

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They can get pricey but some of the old double "Rook Rifles" might fit the bill if you can find ammo to feed them.

'Course, it depends on what you mean by "small bore".

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10513 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Francotte of Belgium used to make them in 22 Hornet.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many years, two decades ago, I saw a Rigby for sale in Holland's at the "old" Bruton Street address in .22 Savage.

Churchill the gunmaker famous for the XXV wrote that he had made a few side by side .22LR Rimfire doubles. But that they weren't made as rifles as such.

They were made as the ultimate extra full choke (a single bullet) for extreme range duck shooting.

Other than the .22 Savage the smallest I have seen is .303 British but a friend had a Webley in 6.5x52R that was made as such. I never saw it he'd sold it by the time I knew him.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Aaron Little can make you a small bore double.
He does good work.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 8x57JRS is a splendid round in a smallish double, 196 grainers work nicely on a driven boar hunt, etc..

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 8x57JRS is a splendid round in a smallish double, 196 grainers work nicely on a driven boar hunt, etc..

Every online source is out of stock. Who knows when it will be back.

Dave

Correction, 8x57 JRS can be found. 8x57 JR is out of stock everywhere.

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a James Woodward snap action under lever
double in .303 British.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
King George V or VI had a pair of H&H or purdey guns made - like 6 inches long - nand he used to shoot flies with regular ammo. Miniature shotgun - not rifle

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11241 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just search Google for 8c57 JRS. Lots of sources:

https://ammo.com/rifle/8x57-jrs-ammo

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Of course, if you really want something special, see Baily Bradshaw about a small bore Rising Block double as shown on his web site:

http://www.bradshawgunandrifle...ck-double-rifle.html

This will stop traffic at the rifle range!

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.gunsinternational....cfm?gun_id=100985295

These little dudes are pretty attractive.

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
These little dudes are pretty attractive.

Saw those. Some has a couple 22Hornets as well. Have touched base with Aaron. Wink

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive seen about all rimmed rounds from the 22 L.R. 22 Hornet, 30-40 Krag, 25-35 Win, 30-30 7mm rimmed, 8mm rimmed, 303 and others at SCI at one time or another over the last 30 years..Dallas SCI always had some nice small bore doubles..They are out there. Id try the internet, Guns Int., Gun Broker, Guns America..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I would love to have a S/S double rifle chambered for a RIMMED 243 regulated for a 100 gr bullet @ 2800 FPS weighted at 8 pounds with 24 in barrels, and topped with both good irons, and quick detach, return to zero, scope with post and cross-hair with a illuminated post tip.

…………………………………………………………...Just dreaming! old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.240 H&H flanged magnum NE: 100 gr projectile @2900 fps and 1,865 ft/lbs energy at muzzle. (.245" dia projectile.) Also called .240 Apex. Not sure the .240 Apex is flanged, as there are some bolt rifles around in this cartridge.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
J.J Perodeau has two new Chapuis SxS doubles in 22 Hornet with scopes listed on his web site.

Posts: 84 | Location: Eastern USA | Registered: 08 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
J.J Perodeau has two new Chapuis SxS doubles in 22 Hornet with scopes listed on his web site.

tu2 Thanks saw them

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Transvaal:
.240 H&H flanged magnum NE: 100 gr projectile @2900 fps and 1,865 ft/lbs energy at muzzle. (.245" dia projectile.) Also called .240 Apex. Not sure the .240 Apex is flanged, as there are some bolt rifles around in this cartridge.

I’m guessing I’m the only person on this forum who has actually owned and hunted a .240 Apex. Basically a .243, but much cooler.

I still have the chamber reamer for then.240 H&H if anyone is interestered.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdstewart:
I’m guessing I’m the only person on this forum who has actually owned and hunted a .240 Apex. Basically a .243, but much cooler.

I still have the chamber reamer for then.240 H&H if anyone is interestered.

I believe DoubleDon has a 240 H&H Flanged and has hunted with it as well.

My own search for one continues and I too have the reamers - for VC to build me one ... one of these days.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Correct Doc. Nice little H&H Dominion. C'mon down and hunt with it sometime. Hope your Dad is doing well.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:
Correct Doc. Nice little H&H Dominion. C'mon down and hunt with it sometime. Hope your Dad is doing well.

Thanks Don.
Dad’s looking forward to deer season.
Since he enjoyed last fall in NC, I’m betting he’ll enjoy your neck of the woods even more.
Paul

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
I have a really neat little double in 7.6 X 63. Great fun for packing on hikes or spring bear hunting. Just stumbled upon it one day in my local gun shop!

Ok, full disclosure. It is a Baikal in 30-06 but it regulates well with factory Federal 180 grain blue box and for 600 bucks how can you go wrong?

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac,
Remember that nice double at Dallas in 30-40 Krag we swooned over way back when at whats his face table, had most of the worlds finest double guns and still does..I forgot his name,and knew him well..Tell me his name. His table was across the isle from mine more of less. oh yeah he is from Oklahoma..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Mac,
Remember that nice double at Dallas in 30-40 Krag we swooned over way back when at whats his face table, had most of the worlds finest double guns and still does..I forgot his name,and knew him well..Tell me his name. His table was across the isle from mine more of less. oh yeah he is from Oklahoma..

Sounds like you are talking about George Caswell. Champlin Firearms in Enid OK

Posts: 3318 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Huvius,
That be him! thanks, have only known him for 40 years, age aim't for sissys.. rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Huvius,
That be him! thanks, have only known him for 40 years, age aim't for sissys.. rotflmo

Yes Ray, I couldn't remember his name either, and like you AGE has it's draw-backs!

…………………………………………………………….. old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Hoenig has made at least two .17 HMRs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty pricie stuff for shooting off the back poarch and there ain't no cheap doubles! faint

Ive seen some used Merkles in 9.3x74 for about 4500 to 6000. and I think they are good guns, functional and shoot good..Lot of my hunters used them and they all worked fine.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120