Find
Notify
Tools

Nice Entry Level Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
Nice entry level rifle for someone. Really good piece of wood.

http://www.champlinarms.com/De...GunID=2627&StyleID=3

Mike

Posts: 21302 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What kind of third fastener does a Chapuis have?
Oh, I forgot, with modern steels, the third bite is superfluous. As you were ...

That is a really nice gun at 10.5K for a Chapuis 470 NE ... except I am not warm and fussy about the grain of the wood in the wrist & grip area.
Looks like it is ripe to crack there, or I just cannot adequately see to evaluate it.
The usual statement from Champlin's is not encouraging about the wood:

"We feel so strong about these guns mechanically that we will take care of any problems for as long as you own it, except the wood."

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rip if you had a problem with the wrist area ( I tend to think the grain is ok not perfect but ok) You could reinforce it. Nice wood for the price.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a very nice price on a great double. I like the barrel length. If I could justify another .470, I'd be tempted, but I've got my sights set on a .500.

Posts: 10061 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote