New
Find
Notify
Tools

.500 NE and Barnes TSX
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for advice based on first hand knowlege for loads with the 570gr. TSX bullet. I have heard conflicting theories about their safety in doubles. I shoot a new Merkel. While I have not found the load that regulates yet, the accuracy from each barrel is nothing short of spectacular, .5-1.5" at 50 yds. for three shots each. I have inspected recovered bullets from both barrels. The lands do not make contact with the small diameter of the bullet and there is no visible swaging evidence around the base. Am I overlooking some sign that indicate this bullet is bad for my rifle? Thank you for any help with this.

LSH

Posts: 288 | Location: AL | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "bands" of the TSX are too thick to displace when engraved by the rifling. So your barrel must flex instead. And that is what can break the solder and throw your gun out of regulation.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aside from the old jacketed "Original" line, Barnes doesn't make a bullet that is appropriate for double rifles. I've seen damage from Barnes X, and I wouldn't consider the TSX.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
The "bands" of the TSX are too thick to displace when engraved by the rifling. So your barrel must flex instead. And that is what can break the solder and throw your gun out of regulation.

Dan,

I am curious as to what the maker of your .500 NE has to say on this subject? Have you asked him?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:

I am curious as to what the maker of your .500 NE has to say on this subject? Have you asked him?

I have two .500 NE rifles, and I have not asked either maker about the Barnes TSX. However, on Barnes X, one maker says they are ok for his doubles, and the other does not advise their use.

Neither of mine is a Merkel as LS has.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan the reason that I ask is that Butch actually recomends the TSX in his doubles. He apparently has a quite a different view about the Barnes product than do you.

Of course he is only recomending them for his rifles. He expressly warns against them in older guns.

I think you've just about got me convinced however, I'm getting a new PH model soon and I think it'll be eatting NF's. I shoot alot and hunt with my rifle year round. Might as well use a barrel friendly bullet.

Just a bit of a plug for the Searcy product however. My old field grade had over 2000 rounds through it. A good portion of them were the Barnes X. Besides normal wear and tear dents, dings and bruises. She was still tight, accurate and ready for combat duty.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
Dan the reason that I ask is that Butch actually recomends the TSX in his doubles. He apparently has a quite a different view about the Barnes product than do you.

Not necessarily. I will not attempt to speak for Butch, but he also said the old X bullets and the old Barnes solids were fine in his doubles too. But that does not mean he thinks those bullets would not damage other doubles.

The TSX is definitely an improvement over the old X bullet. But is it gentle enough for the more fragile European doubles? My view is that it is not.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
from another thread...

quote:
Originally posted by Gerard:
When considering how hard or soft a bullet will be on a barrel, there are some important factors to take into account.

Monometal bullets are more difficult to compress lengthwise as well as radially than jacketed lead core bullets. This means that both are relatively high in the generation of barrel wall pressure. With the monometal bullet because most are made from bronze and it takes a lot of pressure to engrave the full length of the bearing surface. With the jacketed bullet because it compresses lengthwise under pressure of acceleration and climbing chamber pressure. This causes it to try and expand radially, thereby increasing barrel wall pressure. Take your pick which one you want to gamble with.

A solid copper bullet with drive bands will resist lengthwise compression under pressure and it rides on the faces of the lands with only the drive bands being engraved by the rifling. It exerts the lowest barrel wall pressure of all bullet types and results in the least heat and friction being generated within the bore. It is logical that, if heat and friction is reduced and barrel wall pressure is reduced, the barrel must be less stressed with each shot fired. It does not matter when the barrel was made and what it is made from. A true drive band bullet (grooved bullets excluded), made from copper, will always be easiest on any barrel.

www.gscustom.co.za