THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    45/70 Sabatti as beginner/practice rifle?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45/70 Sabatti as beginner/practice rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I see lots of talk about the 9.3x74 but why not the 45/70. tons of cheap practice ammo-surely some of it would regulate, fun on hogs and such and an reletivly inexpensive way to get started while waiting to be able to afford a 450/400 from Butch? Any thoughs guys?

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Have at it! Please post photos of your .45-70 double rifle when you get it.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Its a great idea, but..........

If you can already afford 3K for the 45-70 then you are only about $1900 away from the full blown "real deal" in the caliber of your choice. Just a thought, but it would probably be easier to resell a rifle in safari calibers as opposed to the small frame 45-70 if you later wanted a different rifle.

My 450NE Sabatti has really grown on me, I love the rifle and can see no realistic reason to "upgrade".

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cross
Don't forget the 45/70 Remington Spartan SxS floating around. Nothing fancy for sure, but they are easy because they can be regulated to your load,and are less than a grand. I really like carrying mine,it is light and it shoots great. It is what it is, but it is a great bang around gun until you can the real thing. Probably a crappy analogy, but to me it is like comparing a Stevens SxS to a Parker or better. Utilitarian for sure, but does what it is made to do. Just not much for bragging rights.
Rick

DRSS

Posts: 709 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
I see lots of talk about the 9.3x74 but why not the 45/70. tons of cheap practice ammo-surely some of it would regulate, fun on hogs and such and an reletivly inexpensive way to get started while waiting to be able to afford a 450/400 from Butch? Any thoughs guys?

Almost did exactly that for those very same reasons - especially since I have acouple of 45/70s already and have plenty of ammo and components. Might still, at some point.

Go for it and enjoy it. As George said, post pictures. 45/70 is better today than it ever was - Leverevolution rounds have done wonders.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many of the members of the DRSS use their doubles for North American game.

Personally, with my 9,3x74R, 450/400 3 1/4" or my 450No2 I have killed the following NA game.
Squirrel, rabbit, armadillo, skunk, coyote, bobcat, turkey, deer, wild pig, caribou, & black bear.

I could have killed any of them with a 45/70 double no doubt. And I like the 45/70 cartridge...

But, I have used my 9,3x74R to take a bunch of African plains game as well. It has been my plains game rifle for all 3 of my Safaris.

I have taken game as far as 300+ yards...

So, while I think the 45/70 would be a great fun double rifle calibre, if you want to maximize your "double rifle money", then get a scoped 9,3x74R, and a 400 or up double...

Then you have a perfect pair...

IMHO of course...

Now, with saying what I said above, let the record reflect, that I also bought a Heym O/U in 30/30... Eeker Confused

Why, for the FUN OF IT... dancing Big Grin

And I really like it.
I killed a 2 deer, 2 wild pigs, and a turkey with it the first season I used it.
I think a 45/70 double would be a great fun hunting rifle as well...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Foxhound--dont know anything about the Remington you mentioned-it does sound interesting.
I have always liked the 45/70 round and have a marlin on order. But the more i think about it a double in this calibre sounds fun. And all you horrible people have given me the DR bug so now I'm looking hard.
Confused

Thanks for all the comments , if the 45/70 goes well then a 450/400 for Africa is sure to follow.

animal

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind, there're loads available for the 450/.400 that do about the same thing as the 45-70. So you don't need both.

Also think about which is easier to sell when the time comes - a DR that is huntable in Africa on dangerous game or a weapon chambered for one of the lever gun cartridges (there are others besides the 45-70 used in doubles as well).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HeHe Shack, why not both still room in the safe. Seriously I love fine weapons and dont want a great double bouncing around all the time in a truck or 4-wheeler. 45/70 ammo is every where and why take a 20 gauge out to practice triggers,etc when you can play around w/rifles. I owm my own ranch so travel w/rifles all day everyday. A fine double -Searcy ,Heym (and yes I to am droooooling over the one in the classifieds) is to be taken on hunts-not just a constant truck gun. Hence an understudy might be in order. I have taken praire dogs to bison and shoot way to many guns ( not possible but-). Prefer pre-64-M 70's ,Coopers and Sako Rihhimakkis. Now getting facinated w/doubles Heck would love to have an in .22 Hornet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just checked and Cabela's has it looks like a number of the 45-70s for $3K, and the 450/400 for $5K to $5 and a half. But if I read you right, you're holding off on the 450/400 because you'd like that one to eventually be a "fine gun".

I had a similar decision to make and chose a Searcy in 450/400. I could shoot it with the downloaded ammo, but the darn thing is so gorgeous I'm actually afraid to get a scratch on it out deer hunting. Isn't that a sad state of affairs..

Anyhow, my solution for the problem was a nice 30-30 Parker shotgun conversion for a working gun. And if I were to buy another of that type, I would like very much a U.S. built shotgun conversion in .405 Win. or .348 Win. Both are more potent than either the 30-30 or the 45-70 and in the case of the .405 there's its history with Teddy Roosevelt and African lions.

Now, for working guns in general I'll take the old Winchesters...I'm not worried about a scratch on my pre-64 M-70 or M-94.

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Shack, I feel your pain regarding scuffing up a beautiful rifle. When I bought my Sabatti .450 I made the committment to take that rifle on all of my walks, shoot it frequently and start getting it broken in with all of the little dings, scuffs and rubs that go with it. Anybody can keep a gun as a "Safe Queen" but I want this rifle to have some stories to tell, some really cool stories!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JCS271,
Not a safe queen. but not a truck gun either. As a rancher I go armed evry day and they do take a beating.
BTW hello to the big shy, lived for years in the Crazy Mountains north of Livingston.Not anywhere prettier but I sure dont miss feeding cows at 30 below zero.

SSR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
N E 450 No2

Big Grin Big Grin I have dumped dillers with my 458. talk about fun rotflmo rotflmo

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote