THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Back in the Double Rifle Business
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back in the Double Rifle Business
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had given up on double rifles after loosing the end off my right index finger and being unable to shoot my Merkel .500 Nitro which I traded for a .505 bolt gun. Alas it has been two (3) years since I let my doubles go. I just couldn't accept not having a double so I got a Merkel 140 in .375 H&H and discovered I can hold onto it when I shoot it. As Mac would say a .375 H&H in a double is not a good choice and I agree, but given the choice of being forced to face game with a double of marginal stopping power as opposed to a bolt gun of power to spare I'll choose the double and take my chance on shot placement. Also I called Merkel to see about having this rifle converted to .375 H&H Flanged and they advised they could not do it. Biebs, stay out of the Real Estate Business, old houses are like cancer and there continuing expense keep you out of Africa.

Posts: 155 | Location: Moorefield, WV | Registered: 14 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Dawson:
I had given up on double rifles after loosing the end off my right index finger and being unable to shoot my Merkel .500 Nitro which I traded for a .505 bolt gun. Alas it has been two (3) years since I let my doubles go. I just couldn't accept not having a double so I got a Merkel 140 in .375 H&H and discovered I can hold onto it when I shoot it. As Mac would say a .375 H&H in a double is not a good choice and I agree, but given the choice of being forced to face game with a double of marginal stopping power as opposed to a bolt gun of power to spare I'll choose the double and take my chance on shot placement. Also I called Merkel to see about having this rifle converted to .375 H&H Flanged and they advised they could not do it. Biebs, stay out of the Real Estate Business, old houses are like cancer and there continuing expense keep you out of Africa.

Steven, a belted rimless cartridge is not the best choice for a double rifle that will be used for dangerous game, but when we have a physical problem that makes that the biggest, and the only case type we can use properly in a double rifle it is better than not using a double rifle at all. I would rather have any legal double for a close in encounter in Africa than a bolt rifle. That cartridge may not be the best even in a bolt rifle, but it is legal, and has most likely taken more dangerous game in Africa that just about any other you could name. We all have our crosses to bear.

I happen to be suffering from Macular degeneration in my right eye, and I am right handed so it is becoming very hard to make out my iron sights. Rather than learning to shoot left handed I'm going to have to go to a one power scope on all my doubles so I can shoot with both eyes open to let the binocular effect let me continue to use even my largest chambered double.

Enjoy your 375H&H double and just make sure you keep it working properly all the time. It may never give you a problem, but practice making quick one, two shots, with a fast re-load for two more quick one two shots and you will be fine!

..................................................................... tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steven, no worries...I have trouble keeping up with the one I have :-)

Good to be back with a DR!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mac and Biebs,

I also thought about trying to learn to shoot left handed to stay with the bigger double , but gave up on the idea. It's good to talk to you both again. I had been tied up on a big undercover investigation for the last five months and had been off the site. The investigation was a great success because I busted a ring who were running a commercial butcher shop that was selling raw and processed deer. The case resulted in over 150 game law arrests, multiple felony arrests and the seizure of about $500,000.00 in illegal drugs. Now the fun part begins with the trials.

Posts: 155 | Location: Moorefield, WV | Registered: 14 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for you! Justice prevails.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Mac and Biebs,

I also thought about trying to learn to shoot left handed to stay with the bigger double , but gave up on the idea. It's good to talk to you both again. I had been tied up on a big undercover investigation for the last five months and had been off the site. The investigation was a great success because I busted a ring who were running a commercial butcher shop that was selling raw and processed deer. The case resulted in over 150 game law arrests, multiple felony arrests and the seizure of about $500,000.00 in illegal drugs. Now the fun part begins with the trials.

...............................Congratulations! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Wow! Good work on busting those low lifes!

Thank you for the effort!!!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steven

Nice game bust! What is the problem that you can shoot a big bore bolt rifle but not a big bore double?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
465H&H
I lost my trigger finger at the first joint and have to reach so far forward to shot the front trigger it breaks my grip on the pistol grip and makes to gun hard to hold under recoil. I have to shoot the rear trigger first to avoid a double which occurs due the shortness of the finger strumming the rear trigger under recoil. Also my middle finger is pressed tight against the trigger guard when firing the front trigger which leads to a nice pump knot when shooting the 500. The .375 H&H doesn't recoil enough for this to be an issue other than still having to shoot the rear trigger first. I bought my first double 30 years ago which was a best grade Jeffery 450-400 3" that Holland & Holland lettered for me as being built in 1898. What I would give to have that one back, which wasn't in vogue at the time due to being a 450-400. I could certain still shoot that rifle now. It's funny how double rifles are an illness that once you are bitten, try as you may to not have one it is impossible to not own one. My Merkel .375 is my 9th double rifle and I will now say, like Biebs said when he state so eloquently "My name is Jon and I'm a gun whore". I guess we have to admit we are also gun whores and some of us are also double rifle whores.

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Hi Steven,

I am positive that Verney Carron created a flanged
round that in part, was specifically sized to be able
to clean up the chambers of D/R's in 375 H&H belted-
mag caliber. Best wishes for the trials!!!!!
Link: 375 R V C

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a double owner but admire the rifles as so many others do so this is just an observation. Have you considered a single trigger instead of the doubles? I know it's not the most popular setup for most but might be the accommodation you need.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sid-:
I'm not a double owner but admire the rifles as so many others do so this is just an observation. Have you considered a single trigger instead of the doubles? I know it's not the most popular setup for most but might be the accommodation you need.

There is a good idea for you!

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
quote:
465H&H
I lost my trigger finger at the first joint and have to reach so far forward to shot the front trigger it breaks my grip on the pistol grip and makes to gun hard to hold under recoil. I have to shoot the rear trigger first to avoid a double which occurs due the shortness of the finger strumming the rear trigger under recoil. Also my middle finger is pressed tight against the trigger guard when firing the front trigger which leads to a nice pump knot when shooting the 500. The .375 H&H doesn't recoil enough for this to be an issue other than still having to shoot the rear trigger first. I bought my first double 30 years ago which was a best grade Jeffery 450-400 3" that Holland & Holland lettered for me as being built in 1898. What I would give to have that one back, which wasn't in vogue at the time due to being a 450-400. I could certain still shoot that rifle now. It's funny how double rifles are an illness that once you are bitten, try as you may to not have one it is impossible to not own one. My Merkel .375 is my 9th double rifle and I will now say, like Biebs said when he state so eloquently "My name is Jon and I'm a gun whore". I guess we have to admit we are also gun whores and some of us are also double rifle whores.

Steven - I'm sorry you lost your finger, but glad you're back amongst us.

A couple of thoughts: I think the rimmed v. rimless argument is overblown. I've hunted on four continents in awful conditions and have never had a problem with rimless rounds in a DR. Just because some writer says its gonna slip, doesn't mean it will. Some have had issues with them, but far more have other issues with DR's that are far more prevalent. Just my opinion. I also think you will be fine with your 375 for DG. I've only experienced one charge and there was NO time for a reload. You'll be just fine with your Merk!

Beat me up guy's, but I'm just glad Steven is back in the game!

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDA-CO:
quote:
465H&H

Steven - I'm sorry you lost your finger, but glad you're back amongst us.

A couple of thoughts: I think the rimmed v. rimless argument is overblown. I've hunted on four continents in awful conditions and have never had a problem with rimless rounds in a DR. Just because some writer says its gonna slip, doesn't mean it will. Some have had issues with them, but far more have other issues with DR's that are far more prevalent. Just my opinion. I also think you will be fine with your 375 for DG. I've only experienced one charge and there was NO time for a reload. You'll be just fine with your Merk!

Beat me up guy's, but I'm just glad Steven is back in the game!

Yep! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hear is a thought if you want a 450-400 or larger caliber rifle you might try talking to a couple of the makers and have one made that fits your needs. I am thinking it might be doable.
Will you be going to the Dallas Safari Club show? This would be a perfect place to talk to most of the makers in one place and time.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys all have some great ideas. I really fought getting rid of my .500 sxs because it shot great and I loved it. I called Merkel and Griffin and Howe before letting it go and tried to talk them into converting the rifle to a single trigger, but neither wanted to do it. I would love to make it to Dallas Safari Club Convention but won't be able to this year because I'll be working. My wife thinks I'm crazy because I retired from the State Police and then enlisted as a Game Warden and started over at the bottom. This means no weekends off and working all kinds of screwball shifts. My last 10 years with the State Police was spent as an Executive Officer and then a Troop Commander so I wanted to go back and work the field for a few years before I got to old. No one can ever doubt what a great and helpful bunch of guys are members of this forum. I tell everyone I know that here is where the true lovers of guns and hunting get together.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steven, Krieghoff delivers a double 375 HH and 375 Flanged with single trigger.

Last week I was visiting the Verney Carron factory in France. There I saw a double over and under 450/400 3 inch, but I do not remember if it was with a single trigger. However, I think they deliver a 375 with single trigger. Maybe worth checking with Ken Butch at Kebco.

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
I think Kebco or his son has an O/U 450-400. Can't remember...

EDIT: Just checked and Kebco and Blackbern both have the O/U 450's but both have double triggers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Suggest you talk to JJ about the conversion feasibility. I talked to him several years ago either about converting a 458 to a 450 3 1/4", or may have been discussing a 375 to a 375FL. Whichever we were discussing was apparently not a problem...

Good shooting,

Posts: 403 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a thought, with the problem of the shortened finger, would a shorter, sharper radiused grip not bring your hand in to the trigger a little better?
Not sure what that may do to the knuckle busting side of the shot.May be impractical on a big recoiler, possibly worth testing out on some form of a try stock first,though. Even a cheap piece of krap wood, add bondo or something like it in that area to shape it, should be enough to evaluate that thought. Only take a few shots.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Cab you reach the front trigger with your middle finger?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
465H&H,
I tried the middle finger on the trigger with the 500 which resulted in a bloody nose. The ring and little finger were simply not strong enough to hold onto the rifle under recoil. It was however pretty comical for everyone else at the range to watch. I did give a lot of thought to the now hard to find K-Guns with single trigger but didn't know if I would like the cocking devise that replaced the safety. Getting the .375 double and being able to shoot it is almost like going to the doctor, thinking you have cancer and then finding out you don't. I am happy to have a double I can shoot even if it is a little inadequate. As you guys have said I think if I save enough money someone will build a heavy double with a single trigger. There must be a market out there for single trigger doubles because wasn't Hemmingway's .577 a single trigger as well as Sutherland's and also if I recall Elmer Keith's .476 was also a single trigger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well there is next year. I am thinking you could have the wrist thinned so you could reach the trigger better. They may have to put a steel rod through the area to make it stronger but it shouldn’t be that hard to do.
I know of several people who hunt with the .375 H&H and the .458 win mag and .458 LOT in doubles and have heard of 0 that’s 0 problems. Yes best practice is to use a rimed case. I would load up and go hunting with your .375 H&H.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spot on Bill

Used the .375 Merkel last month to take a deer at 144 yards off hand. Wouldn't even have taken the shot had I known the distance. It was a very big deer that I thought was 80 yards across a large cut corn field that turned out to be 144 yards due to under estimating it's size. A luck shot for sure that killed the deer dead with the first shot. Bill I think you have hit on what I need to do. Stop worrying about getting a bigger caliber that I may or may not shoot well and concentrate on using the .375 that I shoot well. Then use the money for a larger double that I may not need to go to Africa and try my luck with the .375. That is the solution Bill. I think Mac was trying in a polite way to say this. I'm going to concentrate on the .375 double until I fell I can always place my shots where they need to be. I really liked what MAC said on one of the other topics which talked about being charged by a lion when using a double chambered for a .375 belted cartridge. If I recall right he said "You live or die by the two shot's that you have". In all probability those two shots should be enough if you do your part. If not maybe then things are how they should be anyway, nothing is certain in life. Great guidance and I now have my answer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Verney Carron 9.3X74R has a single trigger, and it solves a lot of issues since I'm left handed. I know that purists will advise against a single trigger, but the VC trigger is mechanical, so the second barrel will fire even if the first one doesn't. But with your finger issue, this may be the best solution. And Ken takes trades and always treats you well. He's in Dallas this week so may not be available for a while.

Allan

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm left handed and i have NO idea what it has to do with double triggers.

I have NO problem with double triggers, even when they aren't bent for LH use, but then again, i grew up with a RH double shotgun in my hands...

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys have all had some great ideas and I really appreciate your input. I'm really happy to be a double rifle man again. Don't get me wrong because I have had and do have some bolt guns that I love. Try as you might though you can't get away from the fact that here is something about walking into the field with a double over your shoulder that nothing else can replace.