Find
Notify
Tools

Best All-Round D.R. Calibre
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted
My appologies if this has been hashed out before.

Most of my hunting is done in Northern Alberta for deer, moose and soon, bear.

I have had the pleasure of taking deer with my 9.3x74R Merkel 141E and, enjoy the gun for just plain plinking.

I am going to Africa in the next year or two; Namibia or Zimbabwe. I want to hunt cape buffalo and plains game and have been told my 9.3 isn't big enough.

I don't want to buy a D.R. just for Africa but, would like to have a calibre suitable for taking cape buff and still be usefull for deer and moose.

The idea of selling my D.R. after returning from Africa would be out of the question as I enjoy the history and memories of firearms used on hunts.

So now, let the flood gate of opinion open and may I be drowned in information. What do you think the "best" D.R. calibre would be for the situation.

Kind regards,

Carpediem

P.S. Appologies for the spelling. It's late.

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
If Its a one off buffalo hunt I would just use the 9.3. I have found it works quite well on Buffalo and is not all that dissimilar to the renown 375H&H and even closer to the performance of the 375Flanged Magnum. But If you plan on doing Safari more often, then the extra punch and bullet diameter of a 450/400 with a QD scope would be ideal.
The 40cal is about as heavy a rifle and recoil I would want to scope.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
If Its a one off buffalo hunt I would just use the 9.3.

Me too.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the right bullet the 9.3 will kill buffalo fine. It won't flatten them with every shot but it is as good as a 375. If you want to go up in caliber the 450-400 is a nice medium but why not move up to a 450NE and you will have a gun that can be used for anything. Lots of .458 bullets available for it and it works great with light loads using 300 gr cheap bullets.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
450 400 3 inch. It's what I'm going to have built. I will be primarily going to use it up here.

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a multiple barrel set. Heym showed a beautiful 4 barrel set on the forum a few weeks ago and Searcy has one for sale on his website right now (470 NE, 375fl, 12 GA)

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
With the right bullet the 9.3 will kill buffalo fine. It won't flatten them with every shot but it is as good as a 375. If you want to go up in caliber the 450-400 is a nice medium but why not move up to a 450NE and you will have a gun that can be used for anything. Lots of .458 bullets available for it and it works great with light loads using 300 gr cheap bullets.

Sam

quote:
Originally posted by srose:

Sam

Both the above quotes are good advice. Like the two above if the buffalo will be a one off safari, then I’d simply use the 9.3X74R Merkel. As suggested above If the rifle will be used most of the time in Canada even for grizz I would either keep the 9.3 or go to the 450/400NE 3 inch with a good QD scope mount and a scope like the 1.1-4 Trijicon with a green illumination, and hunt everything from rabbit to elephant with it!

…....................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
450/400 3" NE. Hornady brass is readily available and not too expensive. There is also a good selection of bullets, and the mild recoil makes this a double you can shoot all day long without discomfort. I own 2 doubles and one single shot in this caliber.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
A little different suggestion. Take two rifles to Africa. Your 9,3X74R and a scope sighted bolt rifle, maybe chambered in .375 or .416 Ruger.

If you are set on two doubles, the 450/400 is a wonderful caliber. If you can stand a bit more recoil, the 500/.416 is even better. If you are interested in a Krieghoff 500/.416, PM me. I will sell mine for $7,500 (plus shipping) with dies and a lifetime supply of brass. I just can't get out and hunt like I used too.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know how much time you have, CD570, but a possibility could be to add a set of barrels to your Merkel. You can ask a Merkel dealer about cost and delivery time and which caliber they are willing to mate to your 9.3 but surely the .375 flanged which may not be much more powerful, but would likely be legal (check the kilojoules which, as I recall, is what Namibia regulations cite).

You might be able to add a 450/400 but 450 Nitro likely takes a bigger action than you now own. Worth checking, 'tho.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
450-400.
I never had much use for dual barrel setups; you never seem to have to optimum one installed when you need it.
Or, Buy that Krieghoff; that is a give away price and you can get all kinds and weights of 416 bullets.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Dave,
PM sent.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Someone has first dibs on my 500/.416

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
The 400 would be my answer to the question, but you already have a 9.3 - that will do just fine.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
Dave,
PM sent.

There you go!

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
David:

That is one heck of nice deal, I would have jumped on it immediately if I wasn't in the middle of a project, developing my own 450-400 cartridge equivalent in power to that of the 500-416 and already own 2 rifles in the 450-400 NE.

Bill73:

If you ended up buying David's 500-416, I believe you ended up with a very excellent cartridge for Hunting all African DG. Enjoy it and good luck.

Best regards

Malek
Good shooting/hunting and God's best

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say if you have the 9.3, it will do. For myself, I have a 30R coming to use around here, and will probably get a 450/400 as I already have all the stuff for it.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Being 53 years of age, I am hoping to start going to Africa annually to hunt. My hope is to hunt cape buff on several occasions as well as plains game.

I think the 9.3 would be good for plains game.

I have been taking a real hard look at the 450-400 and thinking about having it made by bailey bradshaw. I love the concept of the falling block double. It's soooo cute Big Grin.

What is the difference between the 3" and the 31/4"? Other than 1/4".

And what about the 450 nitro express?

Regards,

Carpediem

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions

one of us
posted Hide Post
My biggest cape buff in horn and body was killed with one shot from my 9,3x74R double rifle, a 286gr Woodleigh soft to the center of his chest, as he was facing me. He was down and dead in less than 40 yards.

I will agree that the 9,3, and the 375 H&H is a little light for cape buff, but will worl just fine if well handles.

However a 450/400 double and a 9,3x74R double make a great pair of hunting rifles for Africa.

Or even for shooting Texas deer and pigs, or bear anywhere in the US of A. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many fine double rifles calibers exist. However my need for a double is not to reach a socalled "one-caliber-for-all". I believe the best doublerifle caliber in the .577 nitroExpress for what I believe a double is ought the be used for..up close and two fast shots that penetrate deep with stopping effect.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
My biggest cape buff in horn and body was killed with one shot from my 9,3x74R double rifle, a 286gr Woodleigh soft to the center of his chest, as he was facing me. He was down and dead in less than 40 yards.

I will agree that the 9,3, and the 375 H&H is a little light for cape buff, but will worl just fine if well handles.

However a 450/400 double and a 9,3x74R double make a great pair of hunting rifles for Africa.

Or even for shooting Texas deer and pigs, or bear anywhere in the US of A. Big Grin

+1 tu2

I am reminded of the story that John Taylor tells to illustrate his point about an all around rifle. It is about a London stockbroker that had Holland & Holland build him a 375HH Mag FL. He traveled all over the world hunting all kind of animals, from elephant to mountain sheep and he was well satisfied and believed to have been well equipped.

The 9.3x74R is right there on par with the 375HH MAG FL

Best regards

Malek
Good shooting/hunting and God's best

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
You might consider the 9.5x74R instead of the 9.3 x74R.
Using the 9.3's brass necked open a few thousandths, the
9.5 has the .375 diameter bullet, (of which there are very
many options).

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
... .577 Nitro Express ...

+1 Cool

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I knew then what I know now. Instead of owning a 9.3x74 and a 470 nito. I would own one very nice 450-400.

I found my self on a brownbear trail with fresh tracks and scat not long ago.I could not see my feet and barley over the top of the cover, my 9.3 felt tiny in that heavy cover.

The 450-400 that I have handled and shot felt alive and fast. They were softer shooting than my 9.3 and faster than my 470.

You can scope any double, I can shoot my 470 faster with the nikon than with Irons. I would get a 450-400 with 26" barrels, at 59 the front sight on 26" barrel is much clearer than on 24" barrels.
I have seen Hornady 450-400 ammo at cabelas for 90 bucks.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Just about every book I've read including Wright's and Boddington's to name just two, recommend the 450NE as the ideal caliber for doubles or at least what they would build....and I agreed! Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the 450 class DR rifles were built with big cats in mind.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

I think know, you're wrong...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
could be,just a thought

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
450 Class; remember that started out life as a BPE round and wasn't considered a DG round at all. It only fired a 300 (it varied from 270 to 365 or so) grain bullet at less than 2000 fps. So maybe ok for small cats? Then in 1898 it was loaded with cordite and a 480 grainer, and you know the rest of the story. It then, was a true DG cartridge upon which all others were patterned. (as a concept, not dimensionally) Now, the 500 BPE, you could say that was used for cats, as I think it was the most popular round in India for tigers. Seems like every Maharajah had one.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

Hmmm ... Funny how a nominal 500gr bullet traveling at a nominal 2150fps generating a nominal 5,000 lb/ft of energy became the definition of a true DG stopping rifle. Funny how the 450NE and class of rifle fit that bill exactly. Funny that anyone would actually state that class of rifle was suitable only for cats. Funny!

Once again, completely off the mark. Doesn't it get old after awhile? All the against the grain comments, acting out to get negative attention instead of being ignored?

one of us
posted Hide Post
most popular round in India for tigers...that is my point

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
All that my dad had was the good ole .303 to hunt Tigers in India,he is still alive today,it's a pity,now that I am hunting Africa,I cannot exchange stories with him,his mental condition will not permit it Frowner

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
George:

I think Todd and jorge are correct. In the heyday of African hunting, the various 450s were considered suitable for most any game, even in the think stuff. However, I think that a 500 grain bullet at 2,000-2150 fps was considered as decidedly heavy for cats.

I think I heard you say that you are getting a new Searcy. What caliber is it?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
I decided to get one(500NE) for going after a bull elephant and to go back to the days I hunted small game with my double barreled shotgun-only this time it is a rifle and the place is Africa.I have enjoyed the bolt action rifle.The time has come when almost all the practice I will be doing will be with a 308 and not the big bores.My body has had enough of big recoil for fun.I chose the 500NE because I believe in the bigger the better for heavy DG game like ele.I hope I will get to hunt ele and bring some tusks back home if only once. I would like a 450 and I think it would be a good choice for buff but it will have to wait.I say a good choice for buff because I enjoy shooting them from longer distances as well as close in.The feeling of setting some open sights on a buff 150yds away in some beautiful area like Makuti should be really something.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpediem4570:

I have had the pleasure of taking deer with my 9.3x74R Merkel 141E and, enjoy the gun for just plain plinking.

I am going to Africa in the next year or two; Namibia or Zimbabwe. I want to hunt cape buffalo and plains game and have been told my 9.3 isn't big enough.

I don't want to buy a D.R. just for Africa but, would like to have a calibre suitable for taking cape buff and still be usefull for deer and moose.

The idea of selling my D.R. after returning from Africa would be out of the question as I enjoy the history and memories of firearms used on hunts.

So now, let the flood gate of opinion open and may I be drowned in information. What do you think the "best" D.R. calibre would be for the situation.

Kind regards,

Carpediem

As many others have written, your 9.3x74R will do just fine.

If, like most of us one DR is just not enough AND the other double would have cross purpose for deer and moose back home, I'd say your other double should be anything from 450 to 600NE.

As much as I like the 450-400 to me it's not enough of a step up from the 9.3 to make it really worth having both. If you were selling the 9.3 then the 450-400 would get my vote.

Since I get the impression that your 9.3x74R isn't going anywhere then my personal sdvice would be a 450NE, 500NE, 577NE or a 600NE with my personal choice being the 600NE - all of which can kill deer and moose pretty dead. The 450 is awesome as the variety of bullets is unmatched by the others.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
quote:
Originally posted by carpediem4570:

Kind regards,

Carpediem

As many others have written, your 9.3x74R will do just fine.

If, like most of us one DR is just not enough AND the other double would have cross purpose for deer and moose back home, I'd say your other double should be anything from 450 to 600NE.

As much as I like the 450-400 to me it's not enough of a step up from the 9.3 to make it really worth having both. If you were selling the 9.3 then the 450-400 would get my vote.

Since I get the impression that your 9.3x74R isn't going anywhere then my personal sdvice would be a 450NE, 500NE, 577NE or a 600NE with my personal choice being the 600NE - all of which can kill deer and moose pretty dead. The 450 is awesome as the variety of bullets is unmatched by the others.

I agree with Doc's assessment concerning the 9.3 and 450/400 pairing. My opinion, and this is what I have personally settled on, is the 9.3X74R paired with the 500NE.

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
I agree with Doc's assessment concerning the 9.3 and 450/400 pairing.

Count me in...while .400/.500 is driving on the middle of the road chasing Eles - 9,3 (especially scoped) might try a pass on the right side while on Buff, Leo & Co...driving home for Christmas - are we?

Posts: 2032 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote