THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    12 Ga. Cape gun -Not a conversion-not for sale
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

12 Ga. Cape gun -Not a conversion-not for sale
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just finished a 12 ga. Cape Gun. I was very impressed with the ammo the customer sent me to use. On the target the right hole is from the rifled barrel (Slug,DGS round)the other two holes are from the smooth bore barrel using the Tri-Ball round.
Target is at 25 yds. as per request of the customer.
Should be and excellent hog gun.

A combination gun is a break-action hunting firearm that comprises at least two barrels, with at least one rifled barrel and one smoothbore barrel. Combination guns using one rifle and one shotgun barrel usually are in an over and under configuration. Side-by-side versions are referred to as cape guns.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Look at the size of those holes!!!
+ good regulation!

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch, could you post more pictures?

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Goodness, that is impressive!!!

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Question? Since the muzzles are not visible in the picture, and the ammo shown, I assume this is a SHOTGUN with a smooth barrel, and a rifled slug barrel.
In any case the target shows that the gun shoots very well, and would be legal to hunt where only shotguns are allowed. I suppose one could call this shotgun a CAPE-GUN. Work is very well done as much as I can see in the picture.
I have a 12 ga Over/Under that would be very useful set up that way as well for the public land here in Texas where a shotgun or muzzle loader are the only legal firearm.
…………………………………………………………….. old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding, Butch! tu2

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Outstanding, Butch! tu2

You are correct! The regulation is typical of Butch Searcys work! In a shotgun that regulation makes this piece far superior to any shotgun I've ever seen with both slug, and multi-shot on target.

…………………….. tu2 tu2 tu2 tu2 old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Novice question, but why are the two barrels different? To shoot birdshot out of one?

By the way, a fine firearm.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3436 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The customer ordered this gun for the specific purpose of shooting hogs in very thick cover.
The slug for the first shot if possible but in the case that one jumps out at him he has the tri-ball round. Which actually has 3 .600" balls coming out at the hog.
He actually told me that 25 to 30 yds. is a long shot, sounds like he would enjoy buffalo hunting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
From the days when Butch Searcy used to turn factory shotguns into double rifles,
Searcy-Ruger Red Label .338 WIN:

24" rifle barrels, 26" shotgun barrels

20Ga barrels still work, rifled screw-in chokes make it a sort of Paradox or Faunetta, or .600 Light Rifle Express

Maybe a red dot sight base could be dovetailed into the .338 WIN rifle rear sight base.

The rib of the 20 Ga barrels might support some scope bases to fit a Leupold 2.5X Ultralight scope,
or another red dot/reflex sight of some sort.

A scope might help nowadays, iron sights showed the rifle wants to shoot:

That kind of "regulation" would be nice for an iron-sighted .458 WIN O/U double rifle too.
Adding a scope could make it a nice long-range single-shot with the top barrel, plus a quick second shot if inside of 100 yards.

Single selective trigger, ejectors, O/U, belted cartridge, .338 WIN,
it this the antithesis of "feather-on-your-pith-helmet panache" for a double rifle.
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote