New
Find
Notify
Tools

470 ammo central Texas
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody in the Austin/San Antone area want to go in on an ammo order from Conley Precision for some 470NE ammo. The shipping is a stout $35 for one box but it's $20 for 3-4 boxes and free on 5 or more. Although one box is $25 cheaper than one box of Federal from Graf's I figured I'd explore this and save, defer some cost, try different loads etc...it doesn't even have to be 470, you can order whatever you'd want.

I don't even have a rifle yet, one due July the other Sept but wanna get stocked up and have some for the DRSS in June too.

Has anyone seen the Norma load for sale stateside yet?

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Not sure what Conley loads with however I will be more than happy to load you as many 470 NE rounds as you wish (within reason that is) and bring them to you at the DRSS shoot in june. I will be there too. You supply the brass and bullets and such and I will be happy to load them for you. I will be loading up some for my 470 so running a few more throught the press will not be any problem.

Regards,

Roscoe

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thx Roscoe. I reload small stuff. I guess I oughta go straight to reloading myself now that you mention it. Figured on doing so but always planned on having and trying some factory stuff too but it is pricey.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Showbart:
Thx Roscoe. I reload small stuff. I guess I oughta go straight to reloading myself now that you mention it. Figured on doing so but always planned on having and trying some factory stuff too but it is pricey.

Showbart, what press are you useing now?

The over all length of the 470NE round is 3 7/8", and most presses will not accept a cartridge that long. Case trimmers are also a problem and the best thing is a trim die. I used an old RCBS BIG MAX that i've had for many years, but some of the new presses will handle the NE rounds, like the RCBS AMMO MASTER! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got an old Lee for loading pistol and mil rifle en mass. I'll need a new setup. I enquired about it in the reloading forum too. Gotta tell ya tho that a good price on Woodleigh solids and Norma brass still has cost at $7.25/rnd before powder, primer, shipping, haz mat or tax. Conley sells same for $182/box with free shipping on 5 boxes mix/match. What's the powder cost per 20 rnds?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Powder will run about $20 per pound (less in bulk). 7000 grains to the pound. Roughly 100 grains per case. About $6.00 per cartridge (probably less, depending on powder). 70 cartridges per pound - less than 30 cents per round.

Box of 20 about $6 in powder (on the high side).

You can buy an an RCBS Ammomaster or a Redding Ultra Max press for less than the cost of one box of Federal 470 ammo.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...And say you get new brass, for about $2.00 per round. Primers will run you 25 cents per primer (roughly). And bullets about $1.25 for good bullets. Add in the 30 cents for the powder.

$3.80 a round on the high side. That does not take into account the fact that you will get several loadings out of each brass case (more if you anneal).

If you really wanted to get anal about it (like some CPA!) figure 4 loads per brass case, which brings the brass per round down to 50 cents. Now you are at $2.30 per reload. Not bad compared to factory costs of up to $15 per round.

If you buy powder in 8 pound cannisters and primers by the thousand or more, you can get your cost down to about $2 per round with reloading.

I did not mention cheaper bullets, and you can certainly go there. I have a personal preference for practicing with the same bullets that I am going to shoot game with.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Conley loads;

Home :: Premium Rifle :: 470 Nitro Express
470 Nitro Express

Displaying 1 to 5 (of 5 products)
Item Name Price-
470 Nitro Express 500 Gr. Barnes Banded Solid $189.99

Add:

470 Nitro Express 500 Gr. Barnes TSX $173.56

Add:

470 Nitro Express 500 Gr. Swift A-Frame $177.88

Add:

470 Nitro Express 500 Gr. Woodleigh FMJ $181.60

Add:

470 Nitro Express 500 Gr. Woodleigh SP $177.80

Add:

Displaying 1 to 5 (of 5 products)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norma brass is $72/20 at Huntingtons. Where can you find brass for less?

I miscalculated price per bullet based on 20 per box not 50. Woodleighs solids are $73. OK I'll correct.

Allright, no comparison. Maybe $5.50/rnd before shipping costs/tax on the components. Time to set it up!

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I use an RCBS Rockchucker II and a Forster trimmer. The Rockchucker only requires slight modification to the shellholder and the Forster trimmer I use has a collet that easily handles my 470's so all you have to buy is a pilot for the 470. This setup loads 470's easily. You might could modify other shellholders for other presses to do the same thing. The only problem with the Rockchucker is seating the bullet because you can't get the case with bullet into the die. By relieving the lip on the shellholder you can tip round and easily insert into die and shellholder. Shellholder strength is not compromised. I have no trouble loading my 2 largest rounds which are the 470 and 416Rigby with this setup. Rockchuckers are inexpensive and I think the Forster trimmer cost $49 from Graf's but that's been about 5 years ago.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Showbart

You can get once fired brass from a few places. If I recall correctly, I got mine from Buffalo Arms.

I'd check out some other brass makers like Jamison if you want new brass. Over $3 per round sounds high.

You can buy NorthFork solids for about $64 for a box of 50. I prefer those to Woodleigh. Like GS Custom, Northforks have driving bands that are much easier on your barrels.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Jamison brass is good, but I've got some old bell brass that is the best 3 reloads and still in great shape. The Federal brass is very good also.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Showbart,
Keep in mind after the inital cost of the brass for the first loading you can take that cost out of your total. You can reduse your cost of practise loads eaven further by using cast bullets.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Does anybody have a suggestion for a"plinking" load in 470 NE?
Thanks much

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by efsbwana:
Thanks much

Contact Butch Searcy,he has a load with 5744 & cast bullets,or reduce powder by a few grains & go to a 400 gr speer gold dot bullet,both work great for plinking & hunting pigs,remember to never use a filler with 5744.

DRSS

Posts: 2278 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim:
I buy my Fed. 215's or CCI Mag. Rifle's for 3.2 cents per each primer. $32 per thousand. Perhaps you meant 2.6 cents per.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks much

I am currently using a 440 grain hardcast gas check over 56 grains of 5755. Shoots really well in my Verney.

If you don't like lead Hornady has some 400 grain jacketed that have also worked very well for me with 5744.

Posts: 41901 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by efsbwana:
Thanks much

Super!. Thanks for the info.