THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Trijicon RMR for Double Rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trijicon RMR for Double Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mohan
posted
I need some Help & Advice, thanking you in anticipation for the Same.
I am thinking of Purchasing a Trijicon RMR for my Chapuis 470 .( I cant see the front sight well, father time has claimed another victim ) Two Questions
1) Which RMR should I Buy
2) What Accessory wound I need to mount it ?
Thank you for your Help.

Posts: 97 | Location: columbus, ohio | Registered: 04 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I just did a search on this forum (Double Rifles) for Trijicon RMR. There were 76 responsive threads. I would start there. This ground has been plowed many times. FYI, I use the Dual Illumination RMR on my Krieghoff and like it.

Here is search link:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...orum_scope=760101804

Mike

Posts: 21391 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the RMR06, which is the 3.5 MOA dot (battery powered) mounted with a QD base produced by H2OBOY here on AR.

Posts: 661 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mohan
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your input MJines, will certainly look there, I will try H2oboy tygersman, appreciate your help. Mo

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
If Trijicon sights were meant to be on double rifles, they would have been invented in the 1870s.
Cheers from a traditionalist,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
If Trijicon sights were meant to be on double rifles, they would have been invented in the 1870s.
Cal

So if civilization was meant to explore space, rockets would have been invented in . . . .

Cheers from a traditionalist and occasional realist Smiler ,

Mike

Posts: 21391 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
I own both the Trijicon and the Doctor-
I prefer the Doctor-
The red vs the yellow-
and the dot size and sharp margins of the Doctor win---
for Me

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not want a dot over 4 MOA.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got the model that has, I believe, either a 3.25 or 3.5 moa dot. I works quite well and doesn't blot out more than I need to see.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Cal

LOVE IT! but, on a non english gun say from Germany, I would ok it, but nothing older then 25 years!

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mohan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated .
to Cal Papas, I am also a traditionalist, but a realist to boot . To continue hunting I need help. Father Time has made me long in the fang & short on vision. As a realist " If gun powder was not invented we would only using bows & arrows" Age is Inexorable in its progression .

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Trijicon RMR in the 3.25 MOA with the appropriate Trijicon base for your double rifle rib. The 3.25 MOA only comes in the battery operated version and the red dot is small and perfect for the double. The battery will last a year in it. The base (mounting platform) comes in either 11-12mm or 14-16mm, depending on the width of your double rifle's rib.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from Botswana hunting elephant With a 500NE double with an RMR. Could work well period I agree the 3.25 is the best option. I like the one that allows you to adjust brightness as it makes the dot appear smaller for more precise sighting in and for longer shots. RM06 I think but I'm not looking at it so confirm that for yourself. Good luck.

Posts: 29 | Location: Missouri, usa | Registered: 26 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the wider mounting platform (14-16mm) and the narrower one (11-12mm), and the narrower platform fitted my Searcy. So, I sold the wider one to Bwanna who has a Chapuis and it fits his 470 double perfectly. I believe that they are RM57 for the 11-22mm and RM58 for the 14-16mm, but first check with Trjicon or SWA for the right item no. And yes, the 3.25 MOA with the battery can be adjusted as to its brightness-which is another plus for the battery operated RMR. tu2

One of Us
Picture of mohan
posted Hide Post
THank you For your Post. ( Use Enough Gun) I was looking at RM 62 ( which can be modified) by a Gunsmith.
Did Bwana had to make any Modification,to the RM 58. Appreciate the Info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He did not have to make any modification that I am aware of.

One of Us
Picture of mohan
posted Hide Post
Thank you, thats was what I was wanting to hear.

One of Us
Picture of The BLB
posted Hide Post
Have a dual illuminated RMR on my Merkel .500. Mount was fabricated by local gunsmith. Was spot-on after 20+ hours of air travel last month to Namibia.

Beau

Posts: 79 | Location: Bay Area, California | Registered: 07 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mohan
posted Hide Post
Thank you
Appreciate the Input.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Question guys:

Is the RMR click adjustments or friction and is the battery on the bottom or the top?

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Click. Bottom.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to know.

Thanks

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My pleasure!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Age is a crutch and justification for a scope on a double rifle IMO..Get a set of new glasses if you can't see the front sight..I'm pretty damn old and with my new specs I can shoot as well as a kid with irons..

I alway felt a scope on a double was perverted, and akin to sodomy! jumping sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, contrary to popular belief a scope sight used on a double rifle has nothing to do with range. What it does have to do with is being able to see better no matter the range. A one power sight with a single dot or post with a lighted tip can be used with both eyes open for close in fast target acquisition makes sense on any rifle used in close quarters for stopping dangerous animals. The human eye cannot focus on more that one distance at a time and irons ask the eye to focus on three distances at the same time, the back sight, the front sight and the target. While the scope has only the dot and the target at the same distance. Is a scope traditional? NO! Were scopes traditional of bolt rifles in 1906? No! But I have a Westley Richards 500/450 #1 express double rifle that is fitted with an ancient quick detach scope mount, and this rifle was sold out of the London store in 1892, and the mount is about a 1910 vintage when scopes were rare on a bolt rifle. Tube scopes were used in the US civil war on muzzle loaders by snipers.

Gentlemen use what ever works best for YOU, and disregard the opinions of others!
......................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ray: I don't want glasses. I prefer and wear contacts. Big Grin Some things are worth losing your stupid, so-called manly, non-sensical, out-of-touch with reality, purist pride over, and either using a scoped double or an RMR on your double at an older age are certainly two of them. dancing Plus, I'm not into either bifocals, coke bottle glasses or both! rotflmo They're always dirty, you can't find them when you need them, they get broken, you lose a screw, they get scratched, or they fog up. I say to anyone with a double rifle to enjoy your double rifle any way that you please. There are plenty of us "old men" that are converts to using scopes or RMRs on the doubles and enjoying their added versatility! Smiler I have never been a pervert or a bugger. Sodomy certainly ain't to my liking! Wink Chill, brother, chill! Hey, did I say how I feel?

one of us
posted Hide Post
So I get the impression thats the otherside of the coin? right? I have to say you sure have hell with your specs!! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jumping We love you Ray! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Hey Ray: I don't want glasses. I prefer and wear contacts. Big Grin Some things are worth losing your stupid, so-called manly, non-sensical, out-of-touch with reality, purist pride over, and either using a scoped double or an RMR on your double at an older age are certainly two of them. dancing Plus, I'm not into either bifocals, coke bottle glasses or both! rotflmo They're always dirty, you can't find them when you need them, they get broken, you lose a screw, they get scratched, or they fog up. I say to anyone with a double rifle to enjoy your double rifle any way that you please. There are plenty of us "old men" that are converts to using scopes or RMRs on the doubles and enjoying their added versatility! Smiler I have never been a pervert or a bugger. Sodomy certainly ain't to my liking! Wink Chill, brother, chill! Hey, did I say how I feel?

I agree completely,I have red dot sights on all my DR'S,you can be an armchair hunter or you can be in the field with what works flame

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Originally by Bill73
quote:
you can be an armchair hunter or you can be in the field with what works

Bill73,
If there's a "bible" for hunting your words above ought to be the final sentence... salute

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 tu2

One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys,
Try a larger bead on your front sight, make sure that the the rifle is sighted in with the full bead sitting on top of the V of the rear sight, and shoot whatever you want to at under 25 paces. you will have all the accuracy you want, and a story to share with your mates...works for me....wrong side of 50 and I shoot an original 404 jeffery made in 1926....leave the RMR for your handgun

Posts: 264 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 20 October 2011Reply With Quote