New
Find
Notify
Tools

450 NE Loads revisted
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just went thru several rounds of 450 3 1/4 NE loads with the Hornady 500gr. bullet and 100 grains of H-4831 but have not broken out the chronograph as of yet. I went to buy some more powder at the local gun shop and happened to look in the new Hornady manual and noticed the top load for the 480 grainer was 94grains and some change. I am not getting any pressure signs and I am not looking for top velocity either. I was wondering if you could share your top loads with H-4831 to see if I am much over some of your loads. I think I remember someone posting a 100 grain load earlier but would like to see what your loads are maxing out at if I could. Thanks.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
If you wait to see pressure signs you will be way over the limits IMO. The Nitro Express rounds are designed and proofed at much lower pressures than those cartridges designed for use in Modern bolt action rifles. I would stick to the Hornady manual and not waste any more time working up loads without a chronograph. You need to know the velocity to work loads.

Good luck.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Are you running this thru a DR or a Ruger #1?

You're over the top in a DR regulated load but it'll be fine in a Ruger. It's apples and oranges once again.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unregulated DR

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
You'd better break out the chrony and work up. I use IMR in mine and your 100gr load is wayyyy beyond my loads.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
have not broken out the chronograph as of yet

Big mistake. You can't rely on reloading manuals. Except for Hornady's one load for the 458 WM I have never seen identical results from a cartridge as was predicted in reloading manuals.

Not that the 450 NE is relevant but I use much less powder in it than the published values.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Hello,

Using the 325 gn FTX bullet I am using 96 gr.
In a No. 1, and getting 2350 fps IIRC. over a chrony.
So I agree 100 seems stout with 500 grainers.
The highest i went with woodleigh 500 was 94 gr IIRC.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
quote:
have not broken out the chronograph as of yet

Big mistake. You can't rely on reloading manuals. Except for Hornady's one load for the 458 WM I have never seen identical results from a cartridge as was predicted in reloading manuals.

Not that the 450 NE is relevant but I use much less powder in it than the published values.

+1

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
So how did your rifle regulate with that load? Did the bullets cross?

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As to the regulation. Bullets started out crossing, then I got them to hit together but the left barrel was about 4" higher than the right at 95yds. 50 yds was very encouraging. I could have left it alone if 50yd. regualation was my goal. I'll play with it a little more next week and try to finish it up. I just wanted to see where most everyone maxed out with H-4831. Right now its a 6" rifle at 95yds. but it will (has) done better.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Way over for a double. 96gr is as high as I go and I get 2080 give or take.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah Jorge, I'm going to cut it back tomorrow and work up some loads around 94,95,or 96 and chrono them. I finally found your post last night from 12 Nov. 2010 with the maxes I was talking about.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you know what ammo your rifle was regulated with? I would get some and shoot it over the crono and see what the velocity is (if in fact it does shoot to regulation with that load) Then load to match that velocity.

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Both were regulated with factory Hornady 480gr DGXs.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alright. I chronoed some loads of H-4831 particularly 96grains behind the 500 gr. Hornady DGX today. Speeds went:
For an average of 2132.75 fps for the 8 shot string out of 26" barrels.
That is giving me 5 in. groups at 95yds. and the barrels crossing 2" there right now. 50yd is 2".

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Magnum: WHy are you not using the 480gr DGX which is the prescribed weight for the 450NE?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
The DGS and DGX shoot very well in my gun!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum Hunter1:
Alright. I chronoed some loads of H-4831 particularly 96grains behind the 500 gr. Hornady DGX today. Speeds went:
For an average of 2132.75 fps for the 8 shot string out of 26" barrels.
That is giving me 5 in. groups at 95yds. and the barrels crossing 2" there right now. 50yd is 2".

I think you will have to slow them down so they don't cross.
I also would recommend trying the 480 gr DGX.I would back off 2 gr and see what you get repeat till they don't cross. You may need to try a different powder if H-4831 doesn’t work out.
Good luck
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Gents had a pretty good range session today with the 450. Bright sunny day temps in the mid-40s, perfect for the chrono. We had two just to make sure. I can tell you now without reservation that Hornady loads are loaded SLOW. Very consistent but they never broke 2080 fps. My rifle has 25" barrels. Great accuracy, but with my handloads that are closer to 2150 with IMR, the groups tighten. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Ok, stupid question for you learned gents; Hornady factory loads are advertised at 2150 fps with a 28" barrel. My rifle sports 25" barrels so is the 25 fps/1" a good rule of thumb? The reason I ask is because Hornady factory loads shoot almost exactly 75 fps slower, and conversely, if I attain 2150 with other loads, might I be exceeding safe pressures given the shorter barrel?

The rifle regulates best at around 2080 which makes sense if the barrel lenght/inch rule applies. Regardless of what I shoot guys at speeds from 2050-2150 it plunks them all into a 1.5" circle@ 50, this VC shoots!

So far about 96.gr of H4831 and 94 of IMR 4831 seem to work best with DGXs. The Woodleighs require a bit more powder to get up to speed. I also tried 84 gr of RL15 (with a foam filler) and while very accurate, it went up to 2180-2200 with a 1" group but a vertical group, but a HUGE flame out of the barrel. Appreciate your inputs

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try backing off a couple of grains with the RL 15. Looks like you may be on to some good loads there.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Oz: read this thread.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Gents, just returned from the range and I've now fired enough sample loads to come up with some definitive loads for my 450. I'll also restate my theory that given the barrel length of my rifle (25") and the Hornady test barrel at 28" my target velocity was 2080-2100 fps. I used both Hornady DGXs and Woodleighs (480gr) and tried three different powders and many loads. The best combination of speed and accuracy were achieved thusly:

480 DGX; 98.5gr H-4831 MV 2085-2120
480 DGX; 95.5gr IMR-4831 2080-2130
480 WL ; 100gr H-4831 2066-2100
480 WL ; 95.5gr IMR-4831 2150-2085
All the above loads shot to POI @ 25 & 50 yards with some with slight vertical stacking, in other words the left barrel sometimes printed about 1/2" higher but all were well within 2"@50.

I also must point out and CAUTION using RL-15 with foam plugs, at least in my rifle. Even with mild loads of 83grs, it produced significant spread of 2145 to 2250 fps combined with vertical stacking almost crossing. I was really careful with having everything exact and both time (four rounds) velocities and accuracy demonstrated the above results.

Either IMR or H4831s produced some great results, but I believe I'll stick with H-4831 since it is an extreme powder and less succeptible to temperature differences.

I hope this will help some of you realizing that every rifle is dofferent. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
jorge,

Good stuff!

Are you crimping?

Many Thanks

HBH

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Yes I am. I had Lee build a custom crimping die for me. Works great.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member