New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel 323E overunder 7x65R
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
GunsAmerica 976734463. Serial number 81453. Anyone have an idea when it might have been made and whether the quality at that time was any good? From the scope mounting it is apparently post World War II. I have seen a couple of prewar high grade Merkels and they were very fine. I like the fact that it is scroll engraved without game scenes. Any clues would be appreciated.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vigillinus:
GunsAmerica 976734463. Serial number 81453. Anyone have an idea when it might have been made and whether the quality at that time was any good? From the scope mounting it is apparently post World War II. I have seen a couple of prewar high grade Merkels and they were very fine. I like the fact that it is scroll engraved without game scenes. Any clues would be appreciated.

Tis is top of the line for it's period, and I don't think the claw mount indicates post WWII issue. I have a rifle made in 1894 that has the exact same mount, and it is origenal to the rifle. The rings may be late manufacture, because many times the scope, and rings were lost!
However I'm not sure I'd pay $11,500 for any O/U doube rifle, but that one is simply beautiful

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote