THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    I have two double muzzleloading rifles a CVA Express and A Kodiak both50s need help.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have two double muzzleloading rifles a CVA Express and A Kodiak both50s need help.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have had these rifles the CVA Express rifle and The Kodiak Rifle a long time.I am still trying to figure out some double problems.Does the heavier bullet hit higher or lower and does a faster bullet hit higher or lower.I put double adjustible sites on these and small rifle primer adapters.They bothshoot asa fast as any 30-30 hammer gun.The kodiak is closer hitting with both barrels but the CVA is more accurate.I have not gone above 100 grs of powder with either gun or above 370 gr bullets.The 1 in 48 twist shoots sabots very good 240 grs or less.It will keyhole 300 gr .429 bullets.I really like these guns.I keep thinking of selling one or the other one but I have not done so.If you want a good quality double find a kodiak if you want a good shooter get a cva .I wish the accushot primer adapter company had not gone out of busines.I need to try hotter loads in the kodiak.I think the cva could handle 120 grs maybe.I think the Kodiak could go up to 150 if I pushed it.I will tie it to a tire if I try.The primer adapters on these guns made them way more accurate also.I bought both of these 20 something years ago.They are fun and sumetimes agrivating at same time.I could never get both barrels to fire with caps.I have never had a misfire with these small rifle primers.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
check out dixie gunworks. they probably have new nipples that would let you use the correct size cap and allow both bbls to fire with a percussion cap.

good luck and keep your powder dry !

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dgr416

I will try to help if I can. In center fire doubles too much powder, the loads will cross and hit low. With too little powder the loads will hit high and apart. Set a target up at 50 yards, fire right barrel and then the left. Useing a center line sight, Shoot standing with your hand not the rifle resting on some support, or shoot off hand. If the rifles were made to shoot to a common point (50 yards) with a given bullet (talk to the people who made the gun}
they may be able to tell you what load to start with. Pm me your phone # if you need more help.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro