Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Very NICE!
Almost down to shothiswads standard! Wink

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Shootacow's new rifle is the best in the world, but
for some reason I personally would prefer to own
McKay's. Big Grin

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful gun. Congrats.

Thorns in fingers and hands, cuts in arms and legs, blisters in feets, happiness in me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A real treasure… Congrats

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!!

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful double. Heym is doing it right. I love my 500 and 577 on the new frame size. Glad I didn't see this sidelock sooner because I'd probably have one of those too.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam, as Bob Barker used to say "It can be yours, if the price is right" :-)

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
That rifle there is a sure cure for erectile dysfunction. Hell, I have to lean to the side right now just to see what I'm typing! :-0

..........UMM HUH! Roll Eyes .....................

Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
quote:
Are bushed strikers anachronistic for low pressure big bore rifles nowdays?

Seriously, why don't these Heyms have bushed strikers?
I think that would be a feature that would be expected on a $40K plus rifle.

I've had this conversation with the gunmakers at HEYM, and they argue that the action face is stronger without the threaded / "bushed" strikers.

Moreover, they would say the only advantage they offer is the ability to change them out faster, and that assumes you have:

1) extra strikers already fitted and
2) have the tool made to remove them.

I've had some customers request them, and they will make them on special reqeust.

quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
quote:
Are bushed strikers anachronistic for low pressure big bore rifles nowdays?

Seriously, why don't these Heyms have bushed strikers?
I think that would be a feature that would be expected on a $40K plus rifle.

quote:
I've had this conversation with the gunmakers at HEYM, and they argue that the action face is stronger without the threaded / "bushed" strikers.

Moreover, they would say the only advantage they offer is the ability to change them out faster, and that assumes you have:

1) extra strikers already fitted and
2) have the tool made to remove them.

I've had some customers request them, and they will make them on special request.

Even cheap old Merkels have bushed strikers! Big Grin

If a double is fitted with threaded bushed strikers, it would be a good Idea to have the maker fit a spare pair of strikers along with a pair of springs for the rifle and supply the tool to change them.

The strength of the breech face of the solid face on the Heym doubles may well be a tiny bit stronger than one with bushed strikers, but with the threaded disks being much smaller in diameter than the base of the cartridge, I doubt it matters enough to negate the convenience of being able to change a broken striker in the field hundreds of miles from the nearest gunsmith.

The little tool is no larger than a short screwdriver! Though the bushed strikers, and spares are not absolutely necessary, I would think that convenience would automatically come with a $40,000 double rifle!

The Merkels have the threaded bushed strikers but they don't come with a pair of spares and a tool.

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Supplying extra parts with an expensive rifle can go two ways.
One person would think it is a nice gesture and think highly of the maker. Another person might wonder why are they supplying the extra parts, do they expect them to break? One could be lean to believe it boils down to marketing which could possibly hurt the seller of the rifle.
Just some random thinking here.

You don't see makers of very expensive bolt rifles supplying extra springs and firing pins do you?

Posts: 73 | Location: SW Pa | Registered: 14 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think the bushed pins is a big deal now days. I was kind of suprized that the Heyms didn't have bushed pins but after thinking about it I didn't care. I'd rather have fewer holes in my guns. Sure if you were living in the wild for years they would be handy. The whole reason for having a double is if one pin breaks you still have a single shot left. Like someone said having the proper tools on a hunt is unlikely and well made guns rarely break pins.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AK Caster:
You don't see makers of very expensive bolt rifles supplying extra springs and firing pins do you?

That is correct, but almost every up scale double rifle has bushed strikers, I wonder why! Out of the seven double rifles, and six double shotguns and two cape guns I own all but two have bushed strikers. A broken striker can absolutely ruin a safari if it happens to be on your DGR double rifle.

IMO, the cost of a spare pair of strikers and springs along with a little tool is not a big deal when ordering a factory fitted personal double rife from the maker! You may never need them but they are light, and easy to transport in the field. I have a Westley Richards double with a trap-door in the grip cap with an extra pair of strikers. The rifle was sold out of the London store in 1892, but I suppose they thought the parts would fail fairly quickly, so they made them with the rifle. Smiler....or maybe the customer ordered them when he ordered the rifle!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:

...I would think that convenience would automatically come with a $40,000 double rifle!

quote:
...and they will make them on special request.

Mac - please read the statement above.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac,
Out of all the doubles you have owned have you ever needed to replace any of the firing pins?

Posts: 73 | Location: SW Pa | Registered: 14 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now I have finally seen a Heym that is pleasing to my eye!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AK Caster:
Mac,
Out of all the doubles you have owned have you ever needed to replace any of the firing pins?

......................Yes! But I have had many doubles that have never broken in any way over many years as well!

It is not a big deal, but if they are available why not have them? The strikers can be replaced on a rifle without bushed strikers, but the butt stock must be removed to do it. With threaded striker bushings it is a ten minuet job that can be done in the field!

Chris, I read your post and I understand that the bushed strikers are available on the Heym if ordered that way. The fact that the Heym doesn't come with the bushed strikers is no big deal, and doesn't say anything derogatory about the quality of Heym doubles.IMO Heym doubles are about the best double rifles made anywhere today, and I have owned a couple over the years and have never had an issue of any kind with any of them!

By the way your new line up is something to see for sure. Some of the nicest wood, and finish I've seen in some time!

IMO, the choices of a double rifle is a hedge against something going wrong in the first place, so I see nothing wrong with hedging one's bet just a little further with the bushed strikers and a set of spares. Like the fact that you may never need the second shot from the double any faster than you will have with a bolt rifle, it is a comfort to know the ability to be quicker is there with the double!

Gentlemen I'm not saying anyone needs all the hedges to have a great safari, but if you should need one or more of them, well then it would be better to have them rather than them being an after thought! Check Elandslayer's post on broken firing pin! ............ coffee

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith