New
Find
Notify
Tools

M. Thys
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was in Jaqua's yesterday, and saw one of the most impressive double rifles I have ever handled. I was marked M. Thys (Marcel?) and was a 470. Everything about the gun was perfectly executed. Long trigger guard. Tang extended over and into the comb. Beautiful stock, exquisite engraving, with leaves and vines as a background and high detail pictures of a bear, elk, and, if I remember, a couger. (It was built for a Canadian). Just a touch of gold work. The thing which really impressed me was the smoothness of the action. The old saying of opening and closing like a bank vault could have been coined for this gun, but at the same time, it would drop open on its own, and you could close it with two fingers. Incredible feel!

This gun wasn't for sale. Apparently, one of their customers sent several guns for possible consignment (from Canada) and was then killed in a car wreck. They are in limbo until they get directions from the estate as to how to proceed.

I haven't seen many of these. What kind of price would a very high quality double by Thys be carrying normally?

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
North of $25,000. ...... probably way north .........

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Art

The Thys rifles are extraordinary. Two years ago you could have picked up one for around $17K.

Not sure what the market is going to do, because Marcell is retired. They are exceptional rifles. I believe JPK has one - purchased to offest his firearm deficiencies Big Grin

I believe that he has taken quite a few elephants with his Thys (rumor has it that he throws the Thys at the beast and it expires!)

Seriously, JPK can shoot the ass hair off a gnat, and his Thys can do it for him.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an "Exhibition grade" .470 M. Thys...

...Shot it 2 weekends ago...Under 2" @ 50 yards with Federal Ammo (Woodleigh RNSP).

Jim: You STOLE that thing for 17K!!!!

Well north of 25K is a vast understatement...

...LeBeau Boxlocks are for sale @ www.griffinhowe.com starting @ +45K unengraved...The Thys rifles have been considered on par with LBC...If that helps in any way.

JW

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is (was?) a Thys 470 for sale at bass Pro shops for $49k. There awere two Thys 577s for sale at SCI. A boxlock that they wanted about $33-34ik for and a sidelock that sold for $37k

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
Art

The Thys rifles are extraordinary. Two years ago you could have picked up one for around $17K.

Not sure what the market is going to do, because Marcell is retired. They are exceptional rifles. I believe JPK has one - purchased to offest his firearm deficiencies Big Grin

I believe that he has taken quite a few elephants with his Thys (rumor has it that he throws the Thys at the beast and it expires!)

Seriously, JPK can shoot the ass hair off a gnat, and his Thys can do it for him.

I won't claim to be able to shoot the ass hair off a gnat, but my Thys shoots very, very well.

My rifle is a sidelock and very nice; it was pristine when I bought it, though it is now showing some hard earned wear with nicks on the on the stock and the beginning of blueing wear at end of the barrels where I hold the rifle while carrying it on my shoulder.

Is the rifle you are looking at a sidelock or a boxlock? You ought to keep an eye on that one and see if you can't pick it up.

On prices, I saw a really nice, pristine sidelock 577NE that was sold to a customer for $57k before the dealer even took posession. But Thys rifles run from nice too fantastic depending, I guess, on what the fellow who ordered it was willing to pay for.

I'll post photos of my rifle, in another post, for the benefit of anyone interested in Thys rifles. How 'bout you other thys owners?

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Photos. Note that I am a lefty and I've removed the cheekpiece from the rifle and a little extra wood on the right side to make it fit me. The stock is being refinished as I write.

The in action photos show the rifle with a quick modified oil patch job so that the rifle wouldn't miss my last trip. The lousy photos of just the rifle were taken with a poor camera for insurance purposes.

Yes the rifle will shoot. This klipspringer was shot at 75yds with a solid while elephant hunting.

One of eleven and what the rifle was made for.

One of four and a good use of a double rifle. Note the exit hole in the boss on the right side of the photo. It is the exit from the shot that entered the spine where the blood shows. The shot was taken after a reload as the buff was heading downhill, doing its best to get out of dodge after taking two to the chest. The bullet entered the buff, took out the spine exitted the neck, reentered the back of the skull and exitted the boss. .458", 450gr North Fork flat nose solid at 2190fps.

You never know what will turn up, but with a double rifle that shoots you aren't as handicapped as some believe. This Zebra was shot at about 90yds when he made the mistake of looking back to see what the fuss was about.

The rifle when it was new to me.

Yes double rifles are expensive, but what is your life worth? This elephant charged from 25yds was stopped at about seven yards by a low first shot and turned by a very quick second shot that was also low - without the second barrel would the charge have resumed? You can see the Thys's barrels to the left side of the photo. BTW, this should but an end to the myth about too much muzzle rise or a slow second shot from a heavy calibre double rifle.

Since I am staying home this year because of time constraints from business issues and to move into a new house, please forgive me for taking the opportunity to recycle some hunting photos. I promise new photos next year and they will feature my Thys doing what it was built for.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jim: You STOLE that thing for 17K!!!!

Jeff-COULD HAVE STOLE! It was one of the Thys rifles Marcel made for Griffin & Howe under contract. Saw it on their website, and sent them an e-mail. When I called a week later after receiving no e-mail response, it was gone.

A good lesson in buying double rifles these days - if you see something you think is a great deal, there are probably 10 other people with the same thought. He who hesitates is lost.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SAY "AMEN " TO HESITATING AND BEING LOST !!

BUY 'EM WHEN YOU FIND THEM, OR THE NEXT GUY WILL.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
How did the one you saw compare to these pics of a Thys .470 I found online?

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have handled JPK's Thys, Mark Sullivans 600 Nitro, and 4 or 5 other Thys doubles. I have shot a 470.

All of them looked very well put together to me.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NE 450 No2,

Just curious, how did my rifle's fit and finish, level of embelishment, etc., stack up against the other Thys's you have seen and handled? You have handled more Thys's than I have, about 2x the number.

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How did the one you saw compare to these pics of a Thys .470 I found online?

That's my rifle!

It shoots quite well.

JW

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's my rifle!

It shoots quite well.

JW

A great looking gun, Jeff! Were you the buyer or seller in the gunsamerica listing?

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neither,

Came to me through a different venue.