THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Double rifle magazine--any interest?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double rifle magazine--any interest?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Gents:
I must ask your serious opinion. I am seriously thinking of publishing a quarterly digital magazine solely on double rifles--history, ballistics, care, research, hunting, reloading, etc. In a nutshell, anything and everything double rifles. I have the magazine laid out, titled, etc. I'd appreciate your comments on the following issues I am dealing with:

A digital format is cost effective. A print copy is far too expensive and even more so originating in Alaska. Personally, I prefer to turn pages but this is not possible financially.

Due to set up, marketing, digital layout, internet, and bank and other financial fees, a yearly subscription of around 20$ per year is doable. Maybe a bit more depending of internet payment options and ordering through a computer, deposits, etc., Issues would start at 60 pages and increase as material warrants.

Would any of you gents consider submitting articles on your doubles and/or your hunts with them? From my library of material I can supply enough articles for a few years but no one (including myself) wants to read a magazine just with my stuff. I will need articles, pics and data of your favorite doubles, your experiences, technical data, reloading, etc. I prefer to only contribute two articles per issue.

Next week I plan on meeting with a young computer wiz who can give me information of layout, sending the magazine out to those who subscribe via the internet, security precautions, payment options and methods, etc. If all goes well, depending of the feedback from AR readers, I could be ready with the first issue in January.

I don't expect much advertising until the magazine proves itself so all setup, internet, and billing costs I will cover. I'm willing to do this if the interest is there.

Thanks for your thoughts, gents, and I look forward to reading your replies.
Cal
PS. Here is one of the caribou I took last week. Rifle is my .450-400 Harrison and Hussey ble. Range was a measured 140 yards. Woodleigh 400-grain soft entered left shoulder, quartering on, and exited back right side.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Cal, I would for sure subscribe. Next July I am taking my W.J. Jeffery .450 No. 2 to Zim for buffalo. I would like to give a try at submitting photos.

Awesome caribou by the way.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I have very little interest in an e-magazine unless it was very cheap. With online publishing, you are competing with the internet.

Have you looked into on demand publishing?

A very quick look found a 60 pg magazine could be published for about $9 per issue for 25 copies. Cheaper if you had more.

Good luck which ever way you go.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
I have very little interest in an e-magazine unless it was very cheap. With online publishing, you are competing with the internet.

Have you looked into on demand publishing?

A very quick look found a 60 pg magazine could be published for about $9 per issue for 25 copies. Cheaper if you had more.

Good luck which ever way you go.

Duckear:
Good thought. I can't publish books via on demand as it is basically a color photocopy. The best price I can come up with offset publishing is about 17$ per issue for a run of 1000. I will check in AK for on demand so see what is up here. At 9$ per copy plus postage that may put the cost too high. But, I will look into it.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
real books are the only thing that has much interest for me, at least. I like flipping back and forth and seeing pages.

To sit in front of a computer scrolling up and down just has no appeal, personally.

Good luck with which ever way you go.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal, I like the idea.

I have enough print magazines already, electronic suits me fine.

I do like hardcopy fine books though.
Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1976 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Cal,
I am am of the same opinion as most others. Even though I travel a lot and should read everything on my iPad (and can get work to pay for access)I like paper and rarely look at digital magazines. Good luck!
Best,
Greg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in - both digital and paper. Digital will be future - you can print articles you want to bring for " paper " reading.

I understand the comments on a paper version, but digital is future because it is cost effective and effective distribution world wide.

Ps
Nice caribou and nice meat Smiler Understand your plans for a 300 Flanged VC Wink Using the 450/400 is a canon for these caribous !

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would most certainly subscribe! If possible in the setup of the format it would be nice to be printer friendly, so that the magazine could be printed off and bound if desired. I don't mind digital but it would, in my opinion, be nice to have paper copies to add to the library.

Posts: 210 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 16 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Cal - whichever way you go with this, count me in as one of your subscribers. I look forward to your first edition!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
Cal - whichever way you go with this, count me in as one of your subscribers. I look forward to your first edition!

DITTO/

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Cal,
I'm in also.
Regards,
Hollis

Posts: 139 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 13 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal,

Please count me in as well. I do have an affinity for hard copy as it is nice to be able to flip through the full sized pages. The reality is that for the most part I lack the space and desire to store those hard copies. It is quite easy to store e-copies and thus I am more likely to retain them for future reference. If formatted properly the e-copies come pretty close to behaving like hard copy when viewed on my iPad. I can flip back and forth through the pages. With proper formatting this can be done on the PC as well. My iPad reads PDF which is a fairly universal, easy to use across multiple platforms, format. The hard copies also get damaged when I travel despite my best efforts to prevent this. E-copies do not tear, fade, wrinkle, etc. It is easy to "carry" 20 e-copies but more than two or three hard copies is a hassle.

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Count in on both,book and magazine.

Posts: 190 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal,

I will both subscribe and forward articles to you for publishing. It would be my honor.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in as well!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I too like paper but understand the internet is the way of the future! My participation will depend on the method of payment choices! If one of the choices of payment is by money order for an annual subscription, then I’m in. If payment is limited to internet payment then no! I do no financial business by internet. For me the internet is entertainment only!

I’m looking forward to your new book, and will order as soon as it is available! Good luck with your internet magazine!

.................................................................... tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Cal,

Check out these guys.

http://www.lulu.com/

All you do is create the content. They handle most everything else.
Plus, they run the 'store', so you are not running to the post office and trying to mail stuff across the world.

They also support e-publishing.

Not sure it would support a subscription model, but does offer worldwide distribution via Amazon, Kindle, etc, etc. Pick up some one-off business as well as push notifications via email when new editions are available.

Good luck.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
real books are the only thing that has much interest for me, at least. I like flipping back and forth and seeing pages.

To sit in front of a computer scrolling up and down just has no appeal, personally.

Cal, count me in.

Rich... the hypocrisy is hilarious. tu2

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3558 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
Cal,

Having been to your website and blog, I would be interested as well. However, like a couple of other members, I prefer to hold it in my hands and flip the pages. Maybe I am archaic as I don't own an I-Pad or I-Phone, like to turn my cell off on my weekends, and really don't care to read anything other than a short post or e-mail on a computer screen.

I think the publishers of my favorite read, The Double Gun Journal, ventured into the digital realm without a lot of success.

There is one place where I can see the advantage of technology... 20 years ago I packed for Ken Fanning in the Alaska range and being the junior member, I got to carry the CAR BATTERY that powered our SAT phone in my pack. I am thinking that better solutions have developed since then!

Lee

http://baumgarthandmadeknives.blogspot.com/

Posts: 571 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 28 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

Cal, count me in.

Rich... the hypocrisy is hilarious. tu2

I'm about to die from acute irony overdose...... 2020

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Count me in!

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Hi Cal. I would be in for the paper version. Good luck!

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
GREAT Idea!! I despise digital magazines, but I am still in.....hoping for good print options in the future!!

Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2677 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cal I wish you the best,and add me to the list
For both the book and the magazine.

Posts: 190 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Add me to the list!

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Count me in too...

Good hunting,

Posts: 403 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Cal,

I am in. I will even put in an article from time to time...Wacked this guy with a 470..

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be in. I don't get near the opportunity to hunt so many species of game as a lot of the guys but do hunt what and when I can. My passion is developing loads and the study and interpretation of ballistics. I would be interested in doing some articles if either of those topics would generate any interest.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Monday night I spent about 4 hours with a friend of mine who is starting a hunting magazine in Europe. It will be printed.

Not having a printed magazine will mean it goes no where.

Good luck on your endeavor. I just can't see any future in a magazine we can't physically hold.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
Thanks for all of your comments and encouragement. A computer wiz has agreed to be hired for the technical end of the project. Next week I depart for a moose hunt (I don't expect much success as I will bring the open sighted .600 Wilkes). Upon my return I will begin to develop the first issue.

I agree with many of you who prefer a hard copy and the ability to turn pages. You are preaching to the choir. However, it is financially impossible to produce a print issue now. At 17$ per issue for a run of 1000 it is too much of a gamble to bet 68,000$ for the first four issues as I will be starting off with few subscriptions and little to no advertising.

What I can possibly do is this: after the first few issues of digital format I could possibly offer POD (print on demand) hard copies to those what want it. This, and many other areas I will be looking at in October. I am still planning the first issue by January.

Again, thanks for your input. I appreciate all comments, even negative, as I learn from them. My goal here is to produce a product so we can share all double rifle info.
Cheers, mates.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Harald Wolf is probably the only guy I know of with a darn near 100% him magazine. I don't think he prints it anymore, and I have spoken to him in a few years.

He'd be a good contact on how to get advertising and subscribers.

He tried the e-magazine thing too, it didn't work.

Cal think of it his way.

You are asking people to pay for what they already get on AR in the form of hunt reports and rifle reviews.

That and if they ask a question they get a response, albeit often a bullshit one.

One of the things my Danish friend told me the other night is that because the hunting magazine world is so crowded and the number of do-it-yourself hunting celebrities is so huge now that getting advertising is damn near impossible.

Not only is impossible, but getting an advertising agreement is even tougher.

Emmanual Kappe (spelling) of Wyoming and a former South African photographer started a new hunting magazine in the past couple years. You might call him and ask for advise.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matabele:
I would most certainly subscribe! If possible in the setup of the format it would be nice to be printer friendly, so that the magazine could be printed off and bound if desired. I don't mind digital but it would, in my opinion, be nice to have paper copies to add to the library.

I'm with Matabele. I'd also like to see a section dedicated to the use of DRs in North America, on North American game.

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I would rather pay $30 for paper than 20 for computer. Look at the BP News Magazine printed by Steve Garbe; it is quarterly, for $24 a year. Slick paper magazines, which us older guys like to save. I would consider quarterly rather than monthly; I think new material would quickly dry up on a monthly basis.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Monday night I spent about 4 hours with a friend of mine who is starting a hunting magazine in Europe. It will be printed.

Not having a printed magazine will mean it goes no where.

Good luck on your endeavor. I just can't see any future in a magazine we can't physically hold.

Actually, the internet is slowly but surely killing the print magazine. Even the big publications are slowly dying and many of the smaller publications have gone the way of the dodo. Clearly the interactive nature of the online magazines is a big draw for advertisers.

I work in this industry and I can tell you that I too prefer print magazines, however, they are dying on the vine. Printing costs are so high now that they are too cost prohibitive unless you have a lot of ad dollars coming in. The boom in the industry is slowing down drastically and the advertising dollars are quite scarce today.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote