Find
Notify
Tools

So far, so good!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
I have started putting loads together for my .470 using Reloder 15 and dacron filler. Before loading a bunch up, I put just one together with 88 grains of Reloder 15, five grains of dacron filler, and a 500 grain Woodleigh soft. I have never loaded a cartridge with a filler before and to be honest, I was a little unsure how this would work even though I tried to follow Ross Seyfried's directions to the letter.

Anyway, drove out to the range this morning. There was a plastic pepsi container laying at the bottom of the 25 meter berm. I loaded one shell, pulled up on it and fired and sent it spinning in the air. In my minds eye, I could see the head of a big tusker flip back and he hit the ground with a thud. Ain't this some fun! Smiler According to the primer, pressures are very modest. This load is shooting at less pressure than the box of Hornaday DGX bullets I bought.

I will chronograph this load and let you know how it is shooting.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

88 gr of RL-15 w dacron in my old Searcy would yield just a bit faster than factory Federals ... abt 2200 fps. I too use 5 gr of Dacron the RL-15.

85 gr of RL-15 gives me abt 2050 fps. 87 gr gives me abt 2150 fps, and 89 gr gives me abt 2250 fps with 500 gr Woodleigh softs. All seem to regulate reasonably well.

The 87 and 89 gr loads were recommended to me by Butch, and Ray suggested the 85 gr load as all that was needed.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Mike:

I made it back out to the range this afternoon with some more rounds to shoot across the chronograph. The gun was a Blaser S2. I used a Hornaday case, 88 grains of Reloder 15, a five hundred grain Woodleigh and five grains of dacron filler. Here are the results:

Hi: 2067
Low: 2020
Avg: 2047
ES: 47
SD: 19

I am going to bump it up a couple of grains which should put me right around 2100 fps from a 24.5 inch barrel. Kynoch ammo runs 2125 but that is from a 31 inch barrel so I am in the ball park here.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Wink Chrono again provides invaluable information! Sounds like you're pretty close.

How are your groups doing?

Ain't it fun!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, I'll bet the S2 was all you expected it to be, and more?

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Mike:

Haven't had a chance to put it on paper yet except I did shoot a few rounds of Hornaday dangerous game expanding bullets at a 50 meter target. My rifle did not like the Hornaday bullets. I was just shooting it today to check the pressure/velocity. Next week I'll dump in a couple of more grains of powder and put it on paper

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Mike:

I made it back out to the range this afternoon with some more rounds to shoot across the chronograph. The gun was a Blaser S2. I used a Hornaday case, 88 grains of Reloder 15, a five hundred grain Woodleigh and five grains of dacron filler. Here are the results:

I am going to bump it up a couple of grains which should put me right around 2100 fps from a 24.5 inch barrel. Kynoch ammo runs 2125 but that is from a 31 inch barrel so I am in the ball park here.

Dave,

I've found you lose 10 to 13 FPS per inch of barrel length at NE velocities. I think your "there" with 88 gr. of RE15 and 5 gr. of Dacron. If it where me I'd try checking regulation at 75 yards with that load before changing it.

I'd also ask the the manufacture Big Grin about the load, but you might just get the "just use store bought ammo" answer Mad

Roi

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 510wells:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Mike:

Dave,

I've found you lose 10 to 13 FPS per inch of barrel length at NE velocities. I think your "there" with 88 gr. of RE15 and 5 gr. of Dacron. If it where me I'd try checking regulation at 75 yards with that load before changing it.

I'd also ask the the manufacture Big Grin about the load, but you might just get the "just use store bought ammo" answer Mad

Roi

I got to thinking a bit more about this last night and I think you are exactly correct. If the Kynoch ammo is running at 2125 out of a thirty-one inch barrel, this load is spot on from a 24 inch barrel. If it regulates, I may just leave it right where it is.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE