THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    haveMantondouble rifle in 360 #2, need fireform load of a powder i can actually find
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

haveMantondouble rifle in 360 #2, need fireform load of a powder i can actually find
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have 200 Ber1tram brass to fire form in my manton double rifle. I purchased some recommended powder but only found a very small amount. I need enough for 200plus cases the proper way. I urgently need enough powder to fireform 200rounds. HELP

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
lb404:
Many powders will work. RL 15 to IMR 4831 and more. Perhaps a better approach is to see what powder is available to you and then search out a proper load. There are many in the burn rate arena for doubles that will work.

Personally, I try to simplify as much as possible. In black powder express I only use IMR 4198, bore rifles Blue Dot, and nitro doubles is IMR 4831. Many others will work fine (maybe better) but I like to keep the reloading bench simple and less cluttered and what I have found in the above three have worked well for me since the late 1980s. I also play with 2F and 3F black when appropriate.

I have reloading tables for many, if not most, of the double rifle calibers and many who post here do, also. So, tell us what powders you can get and we'll go from there.

We can supply you with factory equal ballistics with the standard bullet weight of 320 grains, you can play with the 75% rule, the 75% rule in reverse, and plinking loads with quick burning powder to get inexpensive and less recoiling shooting fun with cast bullets.

AR is a bank of information with many fine posters here. If you are new to double rifles, I can suggest a great and best-selling new book for you to read (lol).
Cheers,
Cal
PS. How about a few pics? We all love to see other's doubles!

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Leonard! Check Powder Valley.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am looking for a fire form load. Bertram brass is the only formed factory brass I have access to. I was told by many to anneal the brass prior to fire forming which I have done. I know I can fully load the rounds to get a fire form, however I felt with the difficulty in getting components now days, it would be better to just fire form to shape then work up a useable load. any suggestions on fire form powders and charge data??? Thanks for the response Cal and Rusty.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Graeme Wright's excellent book "Shooting the British double Rifle" and the new Woodleigh Bullets Reloading manual list loads for this cartrudge.

If you want I can look up some loads for you.

Cheers,

Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote