THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    "proper" grain flow and the unknown.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"proper" grain flow and the unknown.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Not wishing to hijack...
This is Re: 505ED and the current topic elsewhere titled "how’s my wood".

In response to a question by "577nitro" concerning grainflow through the wrist:

Ed's stock is being flipped, he is a lefty. So the layout out improves in regards to what the eye is seeing.
That said. The black grain in this blank in question does not follow the actual grainflow.
This is common in very old trees.

Tendrams is correct. If it were left to be turned as the layout is drawn on the blank, it would be fine.

Why?

Well several reasons
1. It is over 2.5" thick. The wrist area of a finished stock is just over an inch thick. It is loosing 1.5".
2.It is rift cut on top, i.e. the grain is running straight. So, when you remove 1.5" of wood from the left face and the grain is straight on top what you have will be what you want to see...straight grain through the wrist.
Keep in mind the blank is going top be flipped for Ed.

Further....and this is HUGELY important when picking a blank for a big bore.
Density, density, DENSITY!
The blank in the thread is supreme in density.
It is heavy
It is hard
It has nearly NO pores.

We cut a VERY large amount of wood for gun makers/companies. 10's of thousands to date.
When you cut and turn as many as I have done/seen you get a very keen eye as to what will happen when a stock is turned.

This is a good topic.
All too often I see guys make comments concerning wood blanks they just bought or are considering using.
(this has nothing to do with you 577nitro)
They seek advice from people and generally speaking, when I read these responses written by people...I read the wrong advice; a case of someone being ill-informed and passing it on to further perpetuate the scenario.

There are so many factors that go into choosing the correct blank of wood for a given project.
One of the least of which should be personal taste regarding "figure".

Here are a few pearls of wisdom for you (in addition to the one above concerning black figure following the grain):

1. You cannot tell if a blank is quarter-sawn from the photos showing just the two faces.

2. When you have a true flat-sawn blank you can disregard the grainflow on the two faces when laying it out.

I tried to start an educational thread on this before but people only want to talk about figure. Education is priceless…

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for that. Very good information.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
AFreeman:

Thank you for the information. And please take no offense with my comments. I am not trying to talk bad about you, your company, or your products. You make some gorgeous blanks and my observation was only based on what little I could see in the photos.

I was just trying to point out something some people may or may not have considered.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Mr Freeman,
What causes that black streaking in that wood? It looks great!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
577 nitro,
No problem, I did not take it in any negative way.

Mike,
The black streaks are a result of minerals in the soil, most likely heavy metals.
It takes a long time to get them.

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What AFreeman says about the black streaks is true unless it is an early Perazzi (Ithica) or SKB then the black streaks were caused by a charcoal pencilSmiler

Michael J

Michael J

Posts: 485 | Location: Lakewood Colorado | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Sorry,

I've been out hog hunting a couple of days Wink.

577 I see what you were saying and Adam and I talked a bunch about this blank.

I dont know as much as I should so I take advice from guys like Adam that cut and look at wood everyday. thumb

I think why we picked this blank, is because it was dense, dense, dense!!! Big Grin

Thanks for the anwser Adam!Your anwser was a damn site better than mine was going to be. thumb

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed,
Now you should admit that the figure in the blank had something to do with it!

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Your right Adam, I was drawn to that blank by its straight grain and low color contrast Big Grin

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505ED:
Your right Adam, I was drawn to that blank by its straight grain and low color contrast Big Grin

Ed

Yep, probably would hve saved you a penny or two? Big Grin

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed,
How much extra did you pay for that blank???
Smiler