THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Recoil Pad for new Merkel 470 NE?????
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recoil Pad for new Merkel 470 NE?????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My Merkel 470NE expressed arrived at my FFL yesterday and I'm now 1 day into my 10 day waiting period (thanks Kalifornia).

My rifle does not have a recoil pad and I'm looking for advice on what pad to put on it. I would prefer a thinner pad if possible.

I did see the photos of Lhook7's Merkel that he sent to JJ for a leather covered pad, recoil reducer, and new iron sights. I'm considering going that route as well, but wanted to hear from some other Merkel DR owners first.

Thanks!

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
My Merkel (.500 NE) went to JJ for a black recoil pad and mercury recoil reducer.

The LOP was perfect for me, so I had JJ cut the stock to accomodate the pad.

It is perfect. I wouldn't use anyone else. I don't recommend you using anyone else either.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
My 470 has a Pachmeyer Decellerator installed. Had it cut and installed by my local gunsmith. Perfect job as always. Pleased with the results. Of course you can always pay more. Installing a pad is really not nuclear science.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Shumba, I have a 470NE Merkel, and it has a KICK-ESEpad that is fine! Like 577NitroExpress, the origenal length of pull was perfect for me, as the stock was cut to maintain factory dimentions. The Kick-Ese works fine. I also have a Merkel 140E 9.3X74R with a Pachmayr decellarator pad installed, and it is fine as well. Any good stock maker can install a recoil pad properly, and either can be leather covered, but for that JJ is the only guy I'd use!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I have a hard red english type pad on my Merkel but would recommend a Pachmayr decellarator.
I have a very thin one on my Blaser and there are many models to choose from.
What type of sights does it have on it?
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ozhunter,

It has the original sights. I was thinking of having those changed as well. I was thinking about sending the rifle to JJ at Champlins and just have him fit it our with new sights and a recoil pad.

Did you change the sights on yours? Also, I have heard that Merkel put weights in the stock. Is it easy to change out the weight to a recoil reducer? Any downside or negatives to doing this?

Thanks.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Shumba,
My Merkel had a one fixed v and one folding v fback sights (good) and had a post (Partridge) front sight which worked but I did change the front sight to a Recknagel ERA 2.5mm bead (11000-2560) which is better.
Some Merkels already have this sight set up and some have a square U back sight.
With the fixed back sight my Rifle shoots 10mm low at 50m and appox 100mm low at 100m. With the folding it shoots appox 1 inch high at 50m and appox 2.5 inches high at 100m so is not such an issue if the folding leaf is up .
If a long shot is required one can flip the folding leaf up just incase the target is further away than expected. From the bench at 50m it groups inside an inch and at 100m two inches. Merkels shoot good Wink.
Also the left barrel on my Merkel shoots appox 30fps slower than the right.
A chronograph is vital for working up loads IMO.
The weight is fixed but a reducer can be added also.
Ps;IMO If the right side edge of the front trigger is sharp get the smith to smooth it off so in recoil it dose not cut your trigger finger during recoil.
Regards
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since you are in California, I would send the gun to Steve Heilmann in Grass Valley. His work is considered some of the best in the country and he will get the gun back to you in record time.

Posts: 104 | Location: Chile | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sent mine to GSI in Alabama, the importer. Their smith, Herbert Wuhlmuth, IIRC, put a Pachmayr Sporting Clays pad on mine. It is a 1" thick Decelerator with a hard plastic heel so as not to snag on clothing when mounting.

If you send it there, have him clean and oil the locks. The factory "grease" may thicken with age and cause problems in cold weather, like failure to cock on opening, as a sear may get stuck in the grease in a disengaged position.

I kept the original LOP too as it felt so good and matches my favored LOP on other rifles: 14.5" to front trigger.

I also dulled that front trigger right edge as ozhunter suggested, after one minor bleeding session early on, I got out the jeweler's files.

Sights: I have the square notch rear standing for 50 meters and a second leaf for 100 meters. A patridge front that was dull silver, so I painted it with white enamel. I wouldn't change them, my favorite on handgun or rifle. The only thing better would be a ghost ring rear. Egad!

Here is the bullet that these Merkels were supposedly regulated with at Suhl, the TBSH solid. Note that the first "right" and the final "left" went into one hole at 50 meters. Not a bad composite for four shots. Elevation is pretty close, and on the verge of crossing. Out at 100 meters this rifle will still be shooting pretty tight, even if crossed. About 1" group at 50 meters and 2 inches at 100 meters. Blasted crossing! Wink

500 grain Woodleigh softs or GSC FN or North Fork FP and CP are the bullets to use, with 108 to 110 grains of H4831SC and no filler needed. Your rifle will decide what it likes best.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
RIP,
I have a friend with a neat little Blaser single shot in 7X57R which has the same decelerator pad with the hard heel as yours. They are great.
I will get Butch to put one of these on the 450/400 Classic he is making for me. Hope they come in classic English red .
OZHUNTER

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had JJ install a pad + merc. supp.for me + was pleased.I would recommend checking out his flip up ivory bead.For me it greatly increases rapid target aquisition.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4394 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote