THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Chapuis Double rifle regulation-50 vrs 100
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chapuis Double rifle regulation-50 vrs 100
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently watched the Chapuis video and one comment caught my eye.
The comment was that the double rifles are regulated for either 50 or 100 meters. Wouldnt a 100 meter regulation always be better than 50?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe, the phrase "REGULATED AT 50 OR 100 YDS" doesn't mean the barrels are regulated to that distance, but the sights. the barrels are regulated to shoot parallel, no matter the range. The distance of the sight regulation only tells you the rifle is dead on to the sights at that distance. This usually depends on the chambering, and the use the rifle is made for. If I remember right, your rifle is a 9.3X74R, and in that case 100 yds would be more usefull! If the rifle has one standing, and one flip up, then the flip up should be filed for 150 yds. The double chambered for cartridges like the 470NE, then the rifle should have the standing blade cut for 50 yds, and the flip up at 100 yds. In any case both rifles will be almost dead on at muzzle to 25 yds anyway, for an in your face encounter! LIKE A BIG BROWN BEAR IN THE WILLOWS! Eeker

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mac. This is a new learning process for me.
I did send an email to Dale to make sure my rifle is being regulated at 100 meters (yards) but have not heard back from him yet. And yes, it is a 9.3x74R.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now I am more than confused than ever. Dale informed me Chapuis will only regulate iron sights at 50 yards and scope at 100.
Can anyone explain to me why they cant regulate iron sights to 100?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered a Chapuis 9.3 also and I went with the standard 50 yards. The difference between 50 yards and 100 yards is .1 inch with the 9.3x74r aka nothing. I have a strong suspicion that the indoor range is only 50 meters and it is a pain in the you no what to go outside or to some range to do it at 100 and that is what you are paying for.

If they regulate at 50 they will be fine at 100.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the possible exception of the .577 & .600s, all double rifles should be regulated at 100 yards, never at 50.
--------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express:
With the possible exception of the .577 & .600s, all double rifles should be regulated at 100 yards, never at 50.

I will never understand why so many in the firearms world try to make everything black and white. If I handed you 10 rifles, 5 of them regulated at 50 and 5 of them regulated at 100 you could not tell me which ones where regulated at which range. So saying never seems to be off base.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Then why not regulate them at 25, or 10? Sometimes double rifles that regulate fine at 50 do not at 100 and regulating them at the longer range is the only way to get it right. You're the one that wants to make it "black and white" that a rifle regulated at 50 will be fine at 100, and that just isn't always so.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then why not regulate them at 25, or 10? Sometimes double rifles that regulate fine at 50 do not at 100 and regulating them at the longer range is the only way to get it right. You're the one that wants to make it "black and white" that a rifle regulated at 50 will be fine at 100, and that just isn't always so.

You most certainly could do it at 10 yards or 25 yards but it would be more difficut to judge the shot placement at such short distance. After a certain point the law of diminishing returns kicks in and advantage or a even longer distance becomes nill. By the time a bullet has gone 50 yards its path is set, it isn't going to make a right turn at 78 yards. Me, you and everybody else could not tell if a rifle was regulated at 50 or 100 yards so "the only way to get it right." just isn't true. If you can't tell, you can't tell me it's better.

Heck, some double makers use lasers to sight in their doubles which I don't think is good enough because a bullet is not a laser. 50 or 100 yards is just nit picking.

Chapuis tend to be very accurate rifles so if 50 was as aweful, as your absolute statements imply, they would shoot worse then average.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffM24:
I ordered a Chapuis 9.3 also and I went with the standard 50 yards. The difference between 50 yards and 100 yards is .1 inch with the 9.3x74r aka nothing. I have a strong suspicion that the indoor range is only 50 meters and it is a pain in the you no what to go outside or to some range to do it at 100 and that is what you are paying for.
If they regulate at 50 they will be fine at 100.

Thanks, That is good enough for me cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffM24:
quote:

You most certainly could do it at 10 yards or 25 yards but it would be more difficut to judge the shot placement at such short distance. After a certain point the law of diminishing returns kicks in and advantage or a even longer distance becomes nill. By the time a bullet has gone 50 yards its path is set, it isn't going to make a right turn at 78 yards. Me, you and everybody else could not tell if a rifle was regulated at 50 or 100 yards so "the only way to get it right." just isn't true. If you can't tell, you can't tell me it's better.

Heck, some double makers use lasers to sight in their doubles which I don't think is good enough because a bullet is not a laser. 50 or 100 yards is just nit picking.

Chapuis tend to be very accurate rifles so if 50 was as aweful, as your absolute statements imply, they would shoot worse then average.

You obviously don't have much experience with double rifles.
------------------------------------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
some double makers use lasers to sight in their doubles

I know some makers use a laser to get close before putting ammunition through the rifle, but am not aware of any quality double rifle maker that stops with the laser. If there are makers like that out there, it would be good for the rest of us to know.

In regard to distance, I get the sense that we are mixing up two very different concepts - regulation versus sighting. I believe Mac's comments highlight the differences.

100 yards has pretty much been the standard for regulation and sighting for a long time. Cutting that distance in half doubles the potential for issues. When you measure case length, do you stop at the nearest inch or get down to hundreths or thousands of an inch?

Regulation at between 80 meters and 100 yards provides a much better view of what may be an issue. You might get a 2 inch spread at 50 yards and think everything is fine - until you find that spread is now 4 inches at 100 yards.

With a double, you are esentially trying to corrdinate the point of impact between two separate rifles trying to insure the shots never cross. And you are actually relying on recoil to make that happen. With the right and left barrels set up to "torque" in opposite directions. Ideally, your spread at 100 yards is the distance between the barrels of the rifle. That means both barrels are shooting in a straight line.

Also keep in mind that there are bullets out there used in double rifles that take time to stabilize. And I would venture to say, depending on the rate of twist, that 50 yards may not be an adequate distance to achieve stability. That is just one example arguing for a 100 yard standard.

Sure, you can take a lot of shortcuts to get close. But a 50 yard standard is indeed a shortcut. It saves time, space and as a result, money. It is a way to keep production costs low.

Now, if you are going into this with your eyes open and are willing to lay out $5000 or more for a rifle regulated at 50 yards, that is great. But understand that any guaranty from the manufacturer is going to be based on a 50 yard standard and not a 100 yard standard.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
quote:
some double makers use lasers to sight in their doubles

I know some makers use a laser to get close before putting ammunition through the rifle, but am not aware of any quality double rifle maker that stops with the laser. If there are makers like that out there, it would be good for the rest of us to know.

In regard to distance, I get the sense that we are mixing up two very different concepts - regulation versus sighting. I believe Mac's comments highlight the differences.

100 yards has pretty much been the standard for regulation and sighting for a long time. Cutting that distance in half doubles the potential for issues. When you measure case length, do you stop at the nearest inch or get down to hundreths or thousands of an inch?

Regulation at between 80 meters and 100 yards provides a much better view of what may be an issue. You might get a 2 inch spread at 50 yards and think everything is fine - until you find that spread is now 4 inches at 100 yards.

With a double, you are esentially trying to corrdinate the point of impact between two separate rifles trying to insure the shots never cross. And you are actually relying on recoil to make that happen. With the right and left barrels set up to "torque" in opposite directions. Ideally, your spread at 100 yards is the distance between the barrels of the rifle. That means both barrels are shooting in a straight line.

Also keep in mind that there are bullets out there used in double rifles that take time to stabilize. And I would venture to say, depending on the rate of twist, that 50 yards may not be an adequate distance to achieve stability. That is just one example arguing for a 100 yard standard.

Sure, you can take a lot of shortcuts to get close. But a 50 yard standard is indeed a shortcut. It saves time, space and as a result, money. It is a way to keep production costs low.

Now, if you are going into this with your eyes open and are willing to lay out $5000 or more for a rifle regulated at 50 yards, that is great. But understand that any guaranty from the manufacturer is going to be based on a 50 yard standard and not a 100 yard standard.

The laser comment is straight out of Dangerous game rifles by Terry Wieland

You don't weigh yourself to the grain and you don't measure yourself to the thousandth. After a certain point you just can't tell the difference.

Bottom line is that Chapuis are very accurate rifles by reputation.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I think all makers use lazers, in combination with a jig, to get to an educated guess at a starting point! However, after that the lazor is usless, and only the jig is used to make adjustments to the barrel's conversion as the process procedes. The only way to regulate the barrels is by trial, and error, and shooting the rifle.

If you look over the sights, of a regulated double barrel set, placed in a vise pointed at a target with the sights on the point of aim, then look through the barrels, with an empty cartridge chambered without a primer, and look thorough the primer hole at the target, you will see how the barrels converge. The right barrel will be looking at a spot that is low, and to the left of the point of aim.

The left barrel will be looking at a point that is low, and to the RIGHTof point of aim. This means the barrels are set so that as the rifle is recoiling each barrel will rise, up, and away from the other barrel,with enough barrel time, to a point where it is aligned with the target, as the bullet exits the muzzle, so though the barrels are not aligned paralell, the bullet paths are so aligned, side by side, on their way to the target! beer

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well said MacD37, and if I understand 400NitroExpress correctly,

a double of a caliber less than 577NE should have the bullet holes from

each barrel touching at 100 YARDS. And the bullet hole from the

right barrel should be on the right side of the target while the bullet

hole from the left barrel should be on the left side of the target.

The bullets should NOT have crossed at that 100 yard mark,

but within the next 100 yards they certainly should. Am I getting this right?

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack - they should not cross at all.

Geoff-

quote:
The laser comment is straight out of Dangerous game rifles by Terry Wieland

Not a lot of help, and without specific examples of who does it, it is merely an assumption, no matter whose book it came out of.

quote:
You don't weigh yourself to the grain and you don't measure yourself to the thousandth. After a certain point you just can't tell the difference.

No I don't. But I also do load powder charges to the nearest pound, nor round off to the nearest inch for sizing. In the shooting world, seemingly insignificant differences in weight or size make huge diffrences downrange. And those differences get magnified the further the bullet travels.

And, while it may be true that after a certain point you cannot tell the difference, but I have yet to find that point. The powder used makes a difference, The powder lot makes a difference. The bullet type makes a difference. The bullet weight makes a difference. The case type makes a difference as well as the size. And the primer type makes a difference. Temperature and humidity make a difference. And so on.

If you are happy with a 50 yard standard and willing to live with that, more power to you. As for reputation, that is only good for rifles built in the past.

The Chapuis rifles I have handled are indeed very good. But, yesterday's rifle does not guarantee tomorrow's quality. And shortcuts, as a general rule, are decisions driven by quality but are decisions some accountant has made in a time study with accompanying cost benefit analysis with the goal of maximizing profits by reducing expenses.

Back to the original question posed here - try to get the 100 yard regulation. Some day you may spend $20,000+ for a hunt and get one chance at your trophy. Or be in a situation where you have to hit a golf ball sized target steaming full throttle in your direction. In those situations, you'll be glad you did.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigFiveJack:
Well said MacD37, and if I understand 400NitroExpress correctly,

a double of a caliber less than 577NE should have the bullet holes from

each barrel touching at 100 YARDS. And the bullet hole from the

right barrel should be on the right side of the target while the bullet

hole from the left barrel should be on the left side of the target.

The bullets should NOT have crossed at that 100 yard mark,

but within the next 100 yards they certainly should. Am I getting this right?

What 400NitroExpress was refering to is the two tightest rounds in each barrel's individule group, should be no closer than touching each other, each on it's own side of the POA! The center of those two groups, however, will be approximately half the distance between the bore centers, on it's own side of the POA.

If properly loaded they should not cross at any range!

You don't measure two shots one from each barrel! What you measure is the center of each barrel's individual group. That center of group should be on it's own side of the POA, and should be no wider, or closer than half the distance between the bore centers of both barrels!

The composite group of both barrels, with four shots fired rt,lft,rt,lft, should be an flat oval approximately double the width of both barrels at 100 yds, and get larger as they go down range,as does any rifle, but never over 4" composite! Of course this is assumeing a perfect load, but the rifle will certainly shoot an acceptable group out to 200 yds PLUS, for hunting purposes.

The fact is, double rifles, properly loaded, will not cross the groups at any range. Wink

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith