THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Results of Joseph Hambrusch 500-450
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Results of Joseph Hambrusch 500-450
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This double is shooting 3"@ 100 yds. and I couldn't be happier with it. Balance is perfect and I look forward to shooting some big game with it ITNF. I had it out recently after a year of inactivity and discovered this interesting situation.

The other side is fine but I realize this stock separation needs to be addressed before I go shooting it again. I don't want matters worse. I have yet to contact anyone about this but plan to. Problem is this double is at least a decade old without any problems and now this crops up. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
idahochukar2,
A larger image would be helpful.
Kind of looks like a raised edge of wood where the action meets the buttstock superiorly and a hint of a crack down by the trigger guard.

I really cannot see well enough to say more and am no expert anyway, but if there is any "separation," setback, gaping, spreading or cracking it is time for a fix, now. Ain't I brilliant?

If it were mine, I would have the buttstock taken off pronto for proper examination, DX, and RX.

It might be something that even I could fix with epoxy and a hidden reinforcing pin. My perfect wood to metal fit would come from brown epoxy, glass bedding. It might be stronger than ever after I got through with it, but this is only conjecture without better images. Maybe I don't see too well. Wink

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed, the picture should be larger and I'll see if I can get my camera to focus closer. BTW, there isn't a crack there, it's the wood is raised where the metal 'box' meets the wood. It's not serious but the edge is possibly thin where the metal meets the wood and to shoot it now will only compound the problem.

My camera instruction book is like almost 200 pages thick....that alone blows my mind...to think a camera could me made to be that complicated bewildered. Engineers....I love 'em.

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Yes it is hard to see but it looked to me as well that the reciver was being forced against the wood.
That is probably because there is a crack in the web portion of were the reciver is inleted.
As RIP said that is a easy fix and done with a reinforcing pin and glass bedding compound.
Like RIP said it may well be even stronger after the repair.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send it back to Hambrusch and let them figure it out eh?

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well yes then, as Akshooter says, and since it is confirmed that the wood is elevated at the back edge of the action, starting to peel over the action back edge, then there is probably a split in the web inside the wood so that the action is driving back into the wood which has splayed out unevenly on one side.

Anymore shooting might split the grip of the buttstock, cracking right on through behind the tang, extending/propagating rearward.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote