THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    "AFFORDABLE" Big-Bore Double Rifle......please make one!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"AFFORDABLE" Big-Bore Double Rifle......please make one!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Let's face it, the Spartan double is history, thanks Remmington!
Will any company ever factory-produce a big bore double-rifle that the average person can afford, say in the $1,500-$2,000 range?
I know that the biggest drawback is regulating the barrels, but, come on now, something has to give here! They will sell thousands and shut all of us up here at AR.
Come on Ruger, modify something with your new s/s shotgun and it will sell like hot cakes! Nothing fancy, just a plain but reliable big-bore double, nothing more, nothing less.....think about it.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
forget that...the shotgun is over $2K now, the DR would be as much $$$ as a Searcy. And, they'd have to make it in a proprietary cartridge and then not make any ammunition.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
sofa Wolgar, go to Maruku, get them to make you a container load of BSS actions with stocks, forends and mono-blocks fitted in sets. Then all you have to do is fit the barrels and regulate. Have fun. Big Grin

Keith

ps: Let me know when they are ready. Want one in 45-70 for practice and using on the 4 wheeler for hogs. Also want one in 450-400 3". Please use wood up-grade on the last on. clap

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Wolfie,
Send your request to Santa at the North Pole.
It'll be in your stocking next Christmas I'm sure! Big GrinBig Grin

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I think the Chapuis "group buy" is probably as close as you are going to get for a good quality "affordable" double rifle.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wolfgar.... you must be smokin some wacky tabacky to dream about big bore doubles for $2,000. there is one for you tho - see the 450 pitted one in the classifieds here. that is what you can get for the money a decent shotgun costs.

wake up man - a 9,3 chapius base model ugex at 20 % off is a $3,600 proposition.

there is nothing wrong with dreaming, but thinking you will get a big bore for $2k is really wishing for santa to bring it.or the easter bunny otr the tooth fairy.

it ain't gonna happen.

sorry to have to tell you the truth instead of falsely encouraging you like some others do !

start saving now, sell off all the extra iron from your safe and get a real rifle - a double. you'll never miss those bolt guns at all.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Easy there fellas....I am just wondering if this is possible economically, and if you thought that a big company such as Ruger, Savage, etc, who make a great product for a fair price, would/could do it for us working guy's. I can't see why not, barrel regulating aside. I think the adjustment screw, as on the Spartan, would cut this cost considerably.
My 2 cents.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted Hide Post
I think the big problem is, limited market, money spent on R&D, and product liability. You'd probably have to find a shotgun maker who makes strong and solid double trigger guns, and could put double barrels on them.... still, $2k, not gonna happen.. the chapuis buy was the most reasonable shot at a decent double..

In my opinion, since most doubles sell pretty easily at $8k to 10k... I wouldn't introduce a new one for much less than that.. regardless of my actual cost... it's what the market will bear..

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
hijack Hey Al, where are you stuck at:
Dallas? iced in
DRSS hunt? iced in
The house? cold and wet

Keith

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get the japanese to make double rifles ! with their dedication and fastidious workmanship on things like Samurai swords ,which can cost $40,000.00 or more for a New One ! if they cant do it ,i dont think anyone could !

Posts: 175 | Location: australia | Registered: 14 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been watching this forum for a couple of months and was going to write a long explanation as to why a double rifle cost so much, the hours of building and reg.,special tooling and jigs,11% mfg. tax,ammo to reg.and the cost of bbls, sights, etc, but changed my mind. If you are amoung the one who believe they are such experts you would not have to ask, WHERE ARE THE 1500.00 DOLLAR DOUBLES, think about it. Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
kudos to you rich show !!!

as you know, there are good doubles made here in usa starting at $2,500. you and jason make them, plus others.

the dreamers still think they are going to get a remington ( no less ) for $700.

pigs will fly sooner.

i think they still believe in the easter bunny, the tooth fairy and santa claus. $700 double rifles.... yaaaa.

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
- a 9,3 chapius base model ugex at 20 % off is a $3,600 proposition

tomo, who is selling Chapuis at that price.

When I talked to Dale last month they were $4,250, base price.

Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boucanier:
Get the japanese to make double rifles ! with their dedication and fastidious workmanship on things like Samurai swords ,which can cost $40,000.00 or more for a New One !

If they put the same level of labor and workmanship into a double, it would run several hundred thousand dollars.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
talk to dale again !

at $4250 you get an ...ejector gun... with 3 star wood. aaa grade

the price i listed is for the entry level rifle( bottom of the line ) EXTRACTOR rifle with aa wood.

either rifle will be built to your custom stock dimensions at NO EXTRA COST !

you can specify case color, blued or coin finish - no upcharge. and leave off the engraving if you don't like it.

sling swivels mounted at no charge

so you see, a new custom made rifle is within the reach of A L L !

you only need to put up a deposit of about $1,500 now, balance due in 6 - 7 months when rifle arrives

if one doesn't have the cash available just sell off those clunky bolt rifles ( you have too many anyway ) and get a real rifle for once in your life. you'll be glad you did.

TOMO577

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys, I've been thinking about this, and discussing it some with a few friends. First, I admit that I know little about double rifles, but I like them. I have owned several double side-by-side shotguns, so perhaps that is some qualified experience.

Anyway, it seems to me that the basic problem with the Spartin in 45-70 and Remington is that there is way too much talk of reaming it out to 45-90, 45-120, 450 NE, 40,000 CUP loads, etc. There are just too many fools out there to put something like a low pressure (28,000 CUP) 45-70 double on the market.

Also, the basic problem with the 45-70 at SAAMI pressure specs is that it is a non-performer. A guy would be much better off with a double shotgun, shooting Brennekee slugs. Forget the 45-70......

I seems to me that a company like Ruger could design and produce a very good quality double rifle and a fair price. IMO, if they would limit the calibers to the elegant 9.3x74R and the 450/400 Jeffery, which they are now offering in their #1, the liability problems would be over, and we would have an affordable double rifle in sufficient and desirable calibers.

Heck, the same frame could handle either cartridge. Imaging a switch barrel Ruger Double Rifle in 9.3x74R and 450/400.

Wow.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed!

I'm still moving a few spare boltguns to get a DR built.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you CAN get an affordable double rifle

starting at $2,500

from jason simpkins or rich show

do some searches for "cheap double rifles" and "affordable double rifles"

both were discussed on the double rifle forum a few months ago.

if that fails contact me - i have details here somewhere

cabletools@alltel.net

tom ondrus 814 774 5739

TOMO577

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rich show advises he is not building any more rifles , so please don't contact him.

TOMO577

one of us
posted Hide Post
Valmet, Tikka and now FinnClassic (Marochhi) have been doing it for years. They use Lothar Walther cut-rifled blanks too. But biggest cal currently is a 9.3x74R. I have heard of conversions to 375H&H but that ctg is too long for the monobloc imho. I am working on getting them to make bbl sets in 405 Winchester. If 100 of you guys send me a deposit, I might just get them to do it!

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
russ, i said it to orville and i said it to wilbur..... it will never fly.

until they turn the bbls 90 degrees and make it a s x s the bubbas will NOT buy it.

sorry, but true.

don't they make some kind of s x s shotgun that they could monoblock ??

that would be more palatable to the potential customers but be warned - no matter what calibers you offer they will want to rechamber it - so plan on a 6oo nitro capacity - better use a 12 bore shotgun .

good luck, tom

TOMO577

posted Hide Post
HEYM makes an over and under double rifle in 9.3x74R called the Model 26. They make about 300-400 of these rifles a year. On heymusa.com the US price is around $4,500 for the standard version. A big bore side by side double rifle for $2000 is not possible. $2000 would not pay for the labor or materials involved.

Posts: 3 | Location: Germany | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arrow:
A big bore side by side double rifle for $2000 is not possible. $2000 would not pay for the labor or materials involved.

UMMMMMM HUHHHHHHHHHHH! Now you are starting to understand! You can buy a servicable S/S double rifle in decent chamberings New, for under $10K, that money will not buy a wornout used car 15 yrs old. Quit bitchin, and buy yourself a double rifle, and go hunting. CHEAP, and DOUBLE RIFLE are things not to be used in the same sentence! A double rifle you can depend on is not going to come any cheaper than they can be bought today. If you want a $500 rifle buy a Rimington. wave

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ARROW
waidmanns heil !

maybe your post will get the BUBBAS to grow up and accept reality.

but i doubt it ! Big Grin

they honestly believe (shows they have a strong faith system) that they will be able to buy a
DANGEROUS GAME CALIBER side by side double rifle- (they don't want over/unders) for $500.00
(it formerly was $700.00)

my opinion - this will happen concurrent with the second coming of CHRIST

PROST cheers

TOMO577

One of Us
posted Hide Post
actually, you can buy a12 year old reliable car for $1,000.
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by Arrow:
A big bore side by side double rifle for $2000 is not possible. $2000 would not pay for the labor or materials involved.

UMMMMMM HUHHHHHHHHHHH! Now you are starting to understand! You can buy a servicable S/S double rifle in decent chamberings New, for under $10K, that money will not buy a wornout used car 15 yrs old. Quit bitchin, and buy yourself a double rifle, and go hunting. CHEAP, and DOUBLE RIFLE are things not to be used in the same sentence! A double rifle you can depend on is not going to come any cheaper than they can be bought today. If you want a $500 rifle buy a Rimington. wave

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read about a fellow years ago in a local gun mag who put a scope on a Baikal double sxs 12 guage shotgun, he was shooting slugs out of it into about two inches at 50 yards ,thats a cheap double !

Posts: 175 | Location: australia | Registered: 14 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boucanier:
I read about a fellow years ago in a local gun mag who put a scope on a Baikal double sxs 12 guage shotgun, he was shooting slugs out of it into about two inches at 50 yards ,thats a cheap double !

It's also a dream, that doen't happen one group out of 100 from a double barrel shotgun! There have been double shotguns sleeved with full length rifled barrels, then Physically regulated for one load, but then you have a BORE rifle, not a shotgun, and Most gunsmiths, and less shooters know how to regulate a double rifle, bore or NE rifle! Shotguns are only regulated to make one 30" pattern partially overlap another 30" pattern,at 35 yds, and I'm afraid that will not get it for shooting slugs, or bullets. I say the man who wrote that article, was either VERY LUCKY, or a little less than honest with his report! Roll Eyes

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

posted Hide Post
Mac37
I am really very intereted in your comments about sleeving a 12 Ga to a 16 Bore rifle. Can you tell us a bit more about how it was done and just what are the ballistics on a 16 Bore rifle

Posts: 8 | Location: Saskatoon | Registered: 25 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by easttrout:
Mac37
I am really very intereted in your comments about sleeving a 12 Ga to a 16 Bore rifle. Can you tell us a bit more about how it was done and just what are the ballistics on a 16 Bore rifle

easttrout , It is done exactly the same way a double rifle is made from a shotgun, by cutting the old barrels off just in front of the old chambers, reaming the old chambers out to a cylinder, then cutting the barrel blank shanks to slide into the old shot barrels. They can be soldered into the old barrel butts, or they can be threaded in, then faced off to flush with the mateing surfaces, of the barrels, and standing breach face of the action. The fully rifled barrel blanks can be bought from several sources, and once fitted to the MONO-BLOC made from the old barrels, the temp sights Quarter rib, forend hanger, then regulation can begine.

This is not a shade tree opperation, but requires some skill. However, the result, if properly applied, makes a real nice double bore rifle. This far out runs the old PARADOX in accuracy, and usefulness. The useing of brass cases, and molded bullets, the bore rifles were very deadly on close in work, especially on the Cats, Tigers, Lions, and Leopard, and are very useful for general woods hunting in the good old North American woods, for moose, deer, Elk, and the bears. By the use of modern smokeless powders, the barrels can be fairly short, and still get all the velocity needed to stop the cats short of bite & scratch! beer

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
Re, "affordable double rifle".

Afordable can mean different things to different people.

While the 9,3x74R Chapuis is not inexpensive, when I consider how useful it has been, the amount and different type of game I have taken with it, close and fairly far away, big and small, and how much fun and satisfaction I have hunting with it... it just may be the best buy in a hunting rifle I have ever made.

It truely is one of the best hunting rifles on the Planet.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SEE THE NEW POST ON BUBBAS 45-70 AFFORDABLE DOUBLE RIFLE FOR $500.00

THIS IS YOUR ANSWER TO CHEAP / OR / AFFORDABLE

JUST SELL OFF --ONE -- OF YOUR CHEAP BOLT GUNS AND YOU CAN GET THE DOUBLE

8 - 12 WEEK ORDERING TIME.

DON'T DELAY, ORDER NOW

TOMO577