Find
Notify
Tools

I Joined the DR Club
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted
I have joined the Secret Big Boy DRC (Double Rifle Club) -- but I joined the poorboy's version as my Double Rifle is an over/under. I am impressed with it even though I've only been able to get it out hunting a couple times and no dice on getting any shots off. I am coming to realize the many benefits of a double. I've shot o/u shotguns for years, but just never made the connection. The beauty is that you have no action and it is very compact and the handling is superb. It comes up to the shoulder for me perfectly. I like it, a lot! Merry Christmas to me Cool

Heym Model 26b, Schwarzkittel
Caliber: 8x57 JRS
QD Optics:
1) Docter Optic Red Dot
2) Docter Optics V6 2-12x50 Illuminated

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard. Let us know how it shoots!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Dom,
Nice looking rifle and Merry Christmas to you.
Can you share some specifics such as brand and caliber?

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dom
I have a Heym 26B in 30/30. I have killed several deer, pigs, a few turkeys and 3 coyotes.
It has become one of my favorite rifles.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not the DRSS gate keeper but I believe that earns you membership....also there's nothing poorboy about a nice Heym O/U Smiler

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ExpressYourself
posted Hide Post
Congrats on that new double! I have shot the 26B at the HEYM factory range (down the stairs behind you). It is a very accurate rifle. It should absolutely hammer those fast running driven boar if that is on the menu.

Best always,
Shawn

Shawn Joyce
Diizche Safari Adventures
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648
E-mail: shawn.joyce@diizchesafariadventures.net
Cell: (916) 804-3318

Shoot Straight, Live the Dream, and Keep Turning the Pages to Your Next Adventure!™
Website- www.DiizcheSafariAdventures.com
Blog- http://diizchesafari.blogspot.com/
Twitter- http://twitter.com/DiizcheSafari
YouTube- http://www.youtube.com/user/shawncjoyce
Facebook- http://on.fb.me/gYytdn
Instagram: diizchesafari_official

Posts: 874 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 24 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Now, to become an officer in the club you must shoot something with it!
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Good for you Dom! You have now given me a bit of encouragement to try and join this elite society.
I am currently in the market for a Baikal Artemis double in .45-70....... I think it would be a fun rifle to use for black bear at close range.

I won't be surprised though if they deem my choice..... which is strictly due to a lack of disposable income......... as unworthy of inclusion in the society.

Good looking rifle Dom. I expect to see some pictures with a few boar in the near future. I imagine the drives are in full swing now. tu2

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1846 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a wonderful little rifle! Hope it serves you well and puts food in your belly. Please let us know how it handles and shoots!

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Looks like you have joined the O/U double rifle club; it's a different club than the real one.

Posts: 17288 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the club,you will enjoy this rifle guaranteed,I would buy an O/U Heym in 458 win mag if one came along at a reasonable price,you have started right,it takes years of shooting S x S DR's to be able to appreciate the exceptional qualities of an O/U DR Big Grin.Congratulations on a fine weapon beer

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Looks like you have joined the O/U double rifle club; it's a different club than the real one.

I say he's in....

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

Man, that's COLD....funny, but cold. animal

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
If it has two barrels, he's in.
Side by side snobs (of which I may be one) really can't bitch too much when talking to a fella that shoots a Woodward O/U.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Just don't shoot any monometal bullets in it so that the rifling doesn't spit out the end of the barrel.

stir

If you do, the flat earth club will descend upon you as a heretic ... even more so than having the barrels not properly oriented.

sofa

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new double. Enjoy it . . . and ignore the noise.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
I've seen NE 450's little Heym, and that's a really nice rifle. Congrats!!!

I didn't make an announcement, but I joined the club with a Blaser S2 a few weeks back. It has two barrels sets (470 NE and 30-06). I like it, but I'm not sure the S2 is really for me. I really like my BBF much better.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Just don't shoot any monometal bullets in it so that the rifling doesn't spit out the end of the barrel.

stir

If you do, the flat earth club will descend upon you as a heretic ... even more so than having the barrels not properly oriented.

sofa

Todd:
A gent whom I won't name (who turned out to be a liar and thief) swore he personally saw a .600 Jeffery shot with mono bullets push the rifling lands out of the muzzles upon firing. Of course, no names, no place or date, no photos. Just BS.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
perfect caliber for european close combat tu2

fat chicks inc.

Posts: 475 | Location: Belgien | Registered: 01 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the nice comments and warm DRC welcome. See if I can answer some questions.

- crshelton: Heym 26B in 8x57 JRS

- cal & Skyline -- I'm working on shooting something. On drive hunts it's feast or famine, and lately I've been in the famine zone. And, ya, a 45-70 will draw some comments I'm sure, ha.

- dpcd -- the "other" DR club -- how 'bout if I hold and shoot it sideways, you know, gangsta style Cool

- Todd, that's partly why I haven't shot anything yet, the State land drive hunts here are leadfree, and I don't have any leadfree ammo for this one so I've been using other rifles.

More to follow once I get some action.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the club, Dom.

As a point of interest, I have stood exactly where you are in that photo many, many times.

I love the little 26B. They are short, lightweight, handy and very accurate. The 8x57 is probably the perfect caliber for that size of rifle.

This is what my 8x57 does at 100-yards.

Here is the same load at 200-yards.

I know they are crossing a bit at 200, but - with 5 shots under 2" - I'm having a difficult time caring.

Congratulations on your new double!

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, you're in. Next time you buy one, (and there is no stopping at one), call me first.

Posts: 17288 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Dom, pay no attention to the ribbing, these guys don't mean any harm, their just pulling your leg!

You are welcome to the DRSS as long as you have an interest in double rifles of any configuration. In fact you don't even have to own a double rifle at all to be a member. The dues are affordable for sure (FREE)so just add the DRSS to your tag line and welcome, even if you admit owning a BLASER S-2! There's even a picture bouncing around the website showing Todd Williams shooting a BLASER S-2, and he is a member in almost good standing!
..................................................................... Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Your 26B shoots superbly new_guy, you can't complain about that and I hope mine does near as well.

I would have had a hard time deciding caliber if the option of 9,3x62 was on the table, but it wasn't so the choice was easy and 8x57 is a tried and true winner anyway so no complaints.

OK, I'm in, DRSS new member, thanks dpcd and Mac, the membership price was right.

I am familiar with combinations, have a couple drillings, one is a bockdrilling that shoots Hornet and -06 and have shot multiple game a number of times, but I wouldn't call them Double Rifles.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the DRSS, brother!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seasons greetings and congratulations from South Afrika! Enjoy to the max...Heym builds a quality product.

Posts: 80 | Location: Colo Spgs, CO & Sterkrivier, RSA | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
The 26B's are truly remarkable--
light, accurate, two quick shots-

and the 8x57R is a great all around choice-
the 196's really kill out of proportion to there weight and velocity-

IMHO

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Welcome, nice DR.

Nitro450exp

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote