THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    500NE snap cap advice needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

500NE snap cap advice needed
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am searching for snap caps.I found some at NECG,Kynoch brand caps at Trader Keith and some at Galazans.Has anyone tried these and found one to work better?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know where the best place to get snap caps would be, but here is another question (probably a stupid one)?

Can one use fired brass with primer intact in place of snap caps in double rifles??? Thanks.

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, No.

Shootaway, make your own. Buy a couple of those white plastic screws they sell at Home Deport, Lowes, etc. Thread size should be 1/4 x 20. Drill out the primer hole with a 1/4 inch drill then tap new threads. Insert the screw from the case mouth and screw it down and tighten. Then trim off the screw so it is flush with the case head.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Snowwolfe said. You can also refurbish the Azoom caps this way. The white primer insert is threaded in and is 10-32 if I remember correctly

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snow - Thanks for the info. I'll be near a Lowes/Home Depot tomorrow and will pick up the needed materials. Waiting on the double is getting even harder now with all this great info and advice from you AR experts.

Have you received much "snow" this year Snowwolfe? I am at 8,400" where in New Mexico and have had only about 12" to date. Later.

quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Larry, No.

Shootaway, make your own. Buy a couple of those white plastic screws they sell at Home Deport, Lowes, etc. Thread size should be 1/4 x 20. Drill out the primer hole with a 1/4 inch drill then tap new threads. Insert the screw from the case mouth and screw it down and tighten. Then trim off the screw so it is flush with the case head.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, what DR are you waiting for?

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1/4-20 tap needs a #7 drill.
13/64" can work.
1/4" drill leaves nothing to tap.

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Larry, No.

Thanks Snowwolfe,I will get to it ASAP.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a.tinkerer:
1/4-20 tap needs a #7 drill.
13/64" can work.
1/4" drill leaves nothing to tap.

Thanks a.tinkerer.I will try a no.7 drill.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,
We live at 7,000 feet and I would estimate our total accumulation this winter so far at maybe 4-5 inches.
Has gotten cold once for about 3 days but other than that have been a nice easy winter.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent.

quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Larry, what DR are you waiting for?

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
You can use 470NE snap caps for the 500NE.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I make a primer out of hard nylon. Makes a good dummy cartridge too.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just drilled and tapped two 9.3 x 74R cases and made them ready for the plastic screws. I'll pick up the screws in Albuquerque tomorrow and should be all set. Thanks for the help everyone with the snap cap thing.

Larry Sellers
SCI (International) Life Member

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Snap caps need to have a 'primer' that cushions the firing pin. Hard nylon in place of a primer as nopride 2 suggests is not going to offer much cushioning and protection for the firing pins. A section of the right diameter O ring material inserted into the primer pocket of an empty case would be a better option for snap caps.

I have 12 gauge snap caps (aluminium) which have a nylon primer insert but they are spring loaded, adjustable for tension with a screw in the front of the snap cap. These would provide the ultimate protection for the firing pin and hammer stops as they can be adjusted to suit different hammer spring strengths. Someone handy on a small lathe could easily make up a set for any gun out of brass or aluminium.

Posts: 3912 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]snap caps[/URL]
[URL= ]2[/URL]
All went well.They are tougher than I thought.
The screw head fits snug in the case and you could screw it down and expose more ``primer`` if it wears out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Galatians are nice!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read one time of fitting a regular pencil eraser in the primer pocket of a fired cartridge to use as a snap cap.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a follow up on this.I found that in order for the cases to fit nicely and effortlessly in the double chambers one must make sure that the cases are not deformed while drilling or threading.It is not harmful if you scratch them-you can smooth them out with steel wool and tumble them afterwards.They have to feed and extract effortlessly.BTW,they work great.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]1[/URL]
[URL= ]2[/URL]
[URL= ]3[/URL]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use some steel wool to smooth the scratches and the area around the primer hole.The cases are not deformed and drop in the chambers like nothing.