Find
Notify
Tools

Success. Finally!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted
Finally, after 16 different bullet / powder combinations, I finally got the Chapuis 9.3X74R to shoot correctly with the Trijicon 1.25X4 scope ON!

For anyone who has followed my troubles with this rifle, you'll know that the gun shot great without the scope. It digested just about everything I fed it with no hiccups whatsoever. But for some reason, the scope was a major issue. Some loads crossed badly, others spread just as bad.

The magic combination turned out to be a load I had used before, but it needed filler. IMR 4064, 53 grains, polyester pillow stuffing for filler, and the CEB 255gr Non-Con. Velocity for these 4 shots were 2355, 2351, 2357, and 2341. Two rights, two lefts, no crossing! This target was shot at 50 yards from sticks. That'll work!!

It's been a long road, but I'm a happy camper this evening!

Cheers.

One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Now we need to see some pics of the first kill. Hogs maybe?

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice group off of sticks! I get to go through the regulation process in the very near future with the Searcy that will be here tomorrow. butch has given me his regulation load and they are loaded up and waiting. I also am going to try some CEB's and will load those Saturday to see how they do in the .470
Congrats

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a good looking target. Glad you found a load that will shoot.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Your tenacity paid off. BZ!
Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Hello Admiral,

How is your load work up going for the 9.3? Do you have it shooting well with and without the scope? If not, I hope this data works for you as well.

By the way, I stopped by Butch Searcy's booth yesterday but unfortunately, he didn't bring your rifle. He had a couple similar. He took my measurements and I told him that as soon as I get this years hunts paid, the rifle build is a go.

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Todd - I spoke with Butch today, and I was surprised he did not have my .500 with him. He said he was refinishing the stock and doing a couple of other cosmetic things to it, so it was still in the shop. He said he will have it at SCI for sure.

The 52.5 gr of IMR 4064 / 286 gr TSX is the best I have tried so far. It shoots about like yours at 50 yds off of sticks (with and without scope) and has about a 1.5 inch spread with the scope on at 100 yds.

Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'll have to give that a try in my Chapuis!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote