New
Find
Notify
Tools

Value of a Searcy Double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Was in a store today and saw an all stainless Searcy double in 470 NE with Talley rings and a synthetic stock.

I checked Searcys site and can find nothign on a gun like this.

Any idea on the value?

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1108 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
I would think to add about 5k for stainless

determine value based on grade engraving ect then add
far as I know searcy is the only one that can [will] solder stainless

just my opinion
frank

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So his normal base guns are about 12k but only worth lest than half as much for stainless? I am not tracking that logic.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My mistake I misread the ADD part of add 5k for stainless.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
priceless! nilly

Posts: 1078 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
Call Butch and ask what he charges to build one and then go from there.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:
Call Butch and ask what he charges to build one and then go from there.

Gentlemen the B. Searcy stainless double was made way back in the 1990s and there were only a few made. It seems the purists didn’t like the stainless and plastic. So they never sold well.

These rifles were aimed at hunters in Alaska but at a time when most Alaskans tended toward bolt-action 338 Win Mag rifles, and simply were not into double rifles of any kind. I thought seriously about buying one of them because I used to hunt Alaska on a yearly basis in the early fall rains, and along the coast where salt mist was on everything.

They were perfect for Alaska, and were simply brought out at the wrong time. Today they are collector items, and the last one I saw sold brought $35K! They sold for around $9K new back in the 1990s!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So I am not getting hurt at $6500.00 then. Smiler

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was a very weak minded time for me. Then I woke up. I just turned down a 500 Stainless sidelock rising bite job. There will be no more stainless jobs made here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hasher,
Any Searcy DR is a good buy at $6500. I had a PH grade 470 that shot like a dream. I sold it to a gentleman here for $10,900 and he took it to Africa. They are great guns.
ND

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
I am guessing with Macs info in mind he is running back to the shop with cash in hand......... popcorn

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh no bought it on site. Well rather I called my Doctor who has been lusting after my K-Gun and he bought it based on my cell phone picture and a 5 minute conversation.

Funnty thing was he immediatly tried to trade me for my K-gun. LOL

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pictures please. I love the looks of Searcy doubles but never seen an "all weather" version. I can only dream of owning a Searcy.

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to see if he would trade, to see if he really liked the searcy. Im happy with the SS 470 made by searcy; being that i prefer wood, this will be a good buy, my Josef Winkler 375 double and my fanzoj 16/8x57jrs (ferlach's) just got their gorilla cousin to sit beside them!

DRSS
B.Searcy 470 NE Stainless/extractors
B.Searcy 470 NE Blue/coin ejectors
J. winkler 375 h&h OU
j.winkler cape 20g/6mm rem
F Sodia cape 16g/8x57 jrs

Posts: 72 | Location: independence ,mo | Registered: 06 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
got this today, doesn't appear tp be ever carried or shot; recoil pad, stock and barrels don't have a marr on them ; emailed Butch to find out what it was originally regulated with to start the process. would post a pic but have no idea how to dancing

DRSS
J. winkler 375 h&h OU

Posts: 72 | Location: independence ,mo | Registered: 06 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
email them to me and I will post them up tomorrow

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hasher, currently, there is a 470 Searcy double in Stainless steel for sale for 47000.00 It is ported and has a lot of engraving and a gold inlat or two on it. Butch made an all stainless steel 4 bore double for a left hander a couple of years ago. On his sight, the 4 bore is 85,000. I think he told me that the stainless one was 90,000. It has nice wood on it too. So has has made some not too long ago. I like the stainless just for something different. I wish the lefty 4 bore in St steel was mine!

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a give away price, the only downfall is he who uses a stainless steel plastic stocked double rifle is suspect of child molestation, sodomy and other disagreeable acts against nature and the laws of our country, or so I am told. I suggest you use a ficticious name and keep the gun in a case until seconds before your shot..good luck and may the force be with you. sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ray,
What say I "borow" it from Bronzepig and I drag it to yoru neck of the woods and lets soot some moose looking critters with it?

Big Grin

PS: as far as the
quote:
is suspect of child molestation, sodomy and other disagreeable acts against nature and the laws of our country
bit?

Sorry I went to the University of Kansas not Mizzou. jumping

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Atkinson, neither of the stainless steel guns from Searcy that I have seen have a synthetic stock. Both had pretty nice wood. I loved both of them!

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this one is stainless with black synthetic stock I believe originally refered to as the alaskan, it also has the tally 30mm rings and mount built in the rear sight to quick detach. Some engraving at the screws but now hunting sceens or majot scroll ) Thought about having custom wood done for it. But honestly it will be a working gun, and its pristeen not even a nick. So why bother changing, and it doesn't rust with handling etc. Plus 6500$ plus tax is just HOW COULD ONE PASS IT UP!

DRSS
J. winkler 375 h&h OU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that is a fantastic deal! I hope you enjoy it. Let us know what you take first with it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
knowing bronzepig it will be a whitetail LOL

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE