New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to buy a used double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking at the Army Navy rifle on the Champlin Arms site that Bigfivejack drew our attention to got me to thinking. Are prices at these dealer sites usually negotiable, or are these usually fixed prices? I know there is no hard and fast rule but what are your experiences? How much less might you offer? If the price was a steal I know you would jump at it and pay the asking price immediatly, but in a normal type offering what would you do? Would you pay the asking price, have the gun shipped on approval and then negotiate? Or would you negotiate from the photos and description then have it sent on approval?

When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom---Sitting Bull

.470 Chapuis double; 9.3x74R Mathelon triple; 30-06 Winchester O/U

Posts: 105 | Location: Rockville, MD USA | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to negotiate, you do so before getting the gun sent on approval. Set the ground rules beforehand.

If you had a gun sent from me on approval and then once you had it, started to negotiate, I'd tell you to send it straight back on principle.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
If you are going to negotiate, you do so before getting the gun sent on approval. Set the ground rules beforehand.

If you had a gun sent from me on approval and then once you had it, started to negotiate, I'd tell you to send it straight back on principle.

I agree 100%!!!

Back to Champlins, I have bought several doubles from George and he is a straight shooter.

I would call him, get more particulars on the gun, and then ask what's the "best" he could do. George and I have had an understanding that once he comes back with his "best" price, I take it or leave it. None of this pussy, chicken shit "well how about..". Same way I like to conduct business when selling.

Another thing is that if you choose to make an offer, express it in the form of an offer. "I'd like to make an offer of $xxxx". When I'm selling a gun, I hate it when asked "would you take $xxxx?". Been there too many times when you think you're accepting an offer only to hear "let me think about it" or "well, would you take $xxxx?".

You can't go wrong buying from Champlins.

Good luck!

Don

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I'll just say I agree, with Don, and 500. George will usually "dickier" a little, but on a good clean double on a sought after caliber dont expect a fire sale. I will say what you buy for your money is someone that will stand behind the gun, and Champlins gives you true service after the sale. Good folks!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would agree. If I were not buying new, Champlin's would be my first choice to shop.
If I were selling OR buying from a private party (I have bought two here in the past six months and was happy with both) I would ask three day inspection and the right to fire four or six shots to check regulation.
I would ask the seller if a counter offer would be in order, private or business. The "Wiggle Room" thing. Once I inspect it, I would either buy it for the agreed price or return it and explain why. Unless misrepresented, once it arrives it is a done deal.

JMHO

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
That particular rifle is priced at the bottom of it's worth IMO! As others have said you can ask for his best price on it, and what he tells you will be bottom, no need to ask further.

George is a stand up guy, and knows his double rifles! What he tells you about the rifle you can take to the bank because his word is pure gold! I'll just say this, if I had the desposable cash right now you wouldn't have to worry about that rifle, because it would already be in my hands!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Seams high to me for a non ejector with cut barrels and what appears to be a wire brushed receiver with no engraving.

But, as I say with all guns, it's worth what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller. WinkEnd of story.

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donald Soter:
Seams high to me for a non ejector with cut barrels and what appears to be a wire brushed receiver with no engraving.

My thoughts also Don. I'd look around for awhile if I had 17,000+ to play with on a purchase of a DR.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I had the cash, it would already be enroute to my FFL holder's shop. Very nice rifle.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask George to give you all stock dimensions. A lot of the older guns were like older American double shotguns with too much drop at the heel to be comfortable. I find that anything more than 2.5 inches is difficult for me to shoot.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Good to know.

If I get a BLNE, cut and brushed I know who to PM Wink

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirklawyer:
quote:

My thoughts also Don. I'd look around for awhile if I had 17,000+ to play with on a purchase of a DR.

+ 1 Agreed

At that level, worth looking around.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I wasn't planning on buying this particular rifle. I was just wondering what a typical transaction was like buying on line from a dealer. What do you think a reasonable offer would be on a used double before insulting the seller? 10% less? 15% less?

When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom---Sitting Bull

.470 Chapuis double; 9.3x74R Mathelon triple; 30-06 Winchester O/U

Posts: 105 | Location: Rockville, MD USA | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I would also recomend George. I just purchased my first double from him two months ago. George is good to deal with because one he is VERY knowledgable and twohe tells you how it is. It really depends on the rifle. What I mean is how desirable is the gun and how does that relate to the price it's being sold for? Lidelock or boxlock, ejector or extractor, big name or not, best quality or plain, auto safe or manual, line of pull, weight, outer condition of rifle, more importantly codition of chambers and bores, year made, history of rifle, calibre, originality of rifle (was the stock replaced, were the barrels shortened, reregulated, ect). Calibre is a big one. As a friend would say when a .600 comes up for sale don't bargan....write a check....because if you don't someone else will. Not all calibres are like that, but some like the .450s are very popular and desirable. A .450 boxlock extractor with good bores in good condition will start at $20,000ish and go up depending on the various factors mentioned to about $35,000ish. The same rifle in ejector will likely start at $28,000ish and go up to $45,000ish again depending on many factors. Sidelock rifles will likely start around $35,000-40,000ish and go way on up depending on all the factors involved. The same rifle in .450/400 may be $3,000-5,000 less. These prices are of course ball parks for English prewar doubles. A relative order of worth desirability in regard to calibre seems to be: 600ne, .577ne, .500ne, .450ne, .470ne, .475s, .450/400ne, .375ne, ect

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I don't know if I would say you would ever get a "Deal" from George. He's a very astute salesman.

What you will get from George is his reputation as a man who will stand behind a deal and when you purchase a rifle/shotgun from George you will know exactly the condition of the item you are buying.

I stood in George's booth at DSC and told him that. He agreed. Honest to a fault!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Hi Gents:
If you want it, buy it. I say that if a double seems expensive today the price will be just right tomorrow and a steal the day after that. I've paid too much for many of my doubles over the years but have never lost money on them when I moved them the next year or in ten years. And, the ones I've sold I wish I had today to sell now. Some of my bore rifles I will move soon (and some nitro rifles, too) to upgrade my modest collection. Some may scoff at the price of my 4-bore but how many were made? Again, if you want it, buy it. I've never looked back after I made the transition from Winchesters to double rifles.
Cheers all,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goshoot:
Thanks guys. I wasn't planning on buying this particular rifle. I was just wondering what a typical transaction was like buying on line from a dealer. What do you think a reasonable offer would be on a used double before insulting the seller? 10% less? 15% less?

I don't believe there is any standard price point or discount that dealers are willing to negotiate to. Too many variables in guns and dealers. If you like a gun make an offer on it, thats how it all starts. I will agree though, some of the best "bargins" I've gotten in doubles I've paid full price for.

And Cal,
I wouldn't describe any collection which includes a 4 bore as modest!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gatsby:

I don't believe there is any standard price point or discount that dealers are willing to negociate to. Too many variables in guns and dealers. If you like a gun make an offer on it, thats how it all starts. I will agree though, some of the best "bargins" I've gotten in doubles I've paid full price for.

"some of the best "bargins" I've gotten in doubles I've paid full price for."

That makes 2 of us.

And has also provided some of the most amusing anecdotes, one of which was doing the right
thing by the guy looking at the gun and giving him some space, he was uuming and aaring over the price - which at the time was damn cheap for a 450/400 - anyway, he "had" to get a discount so offered 15% less. Of course was told no, so walked away, gun was snapped up 10 seconds later by me.

The guy asked me why I bought it for full price. He didn't like the answer which was it was worth at the time twice what it was offered for.

Sometimes trying to get a discount can cost you a bargain.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty:
I have been able to negotiate deals with George to my satisfaction. Sensibly asked and received. The fact that I have negotiated 6 purchase/sales with him speaks to our mutual respect. Getting ready to possibly take the plunge again with one of his rifles not yet advertised. Will post if I purchase it. With the exception of my 2 custom fit rifles I have never had a rifle fit me like this one. God has been very kind to me.

Dutch

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lot of wisdom here! Buy the gun you want, not the gun that is a good deal! Obviously you don't want to pay a premium price if you can avoid it, so, just keep an eye out at the main dealers. Champlin's is obviously one, Hallowell's is another (I bought my K-gun from them). Also visit gunbroker, Gunsinternational, Cabela's Gun Library etc. That should give you a good feel for the prices that these are going for. Also, the Classifieds here!
Good luck, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Great Dutch! Be sure and post some pictures!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Champlin, Westley Richards, and Guns International are good ones to check on a regular basis.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:

Absolutely...5-7 years ago this might have been a $8000 rifle. $17,500? Not in this economic climate. Honestly, for a savings of $7500, and in spite of its weight, that Lyon & Lyon hammer gun is singing to me!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty:
Will do when I get it. Going there on the 23-24th this month. It is an almost new Army & Navy 450-400 3 1/4 with 15 inch lop and perfect bores George had at Dallas. This gun has been eating at me like a fever since then. I already have a sidelock 450-400 3 1/4 but you always need a back-up, especially one that fits and, according to George, it is very accurate. I trust George.

Dutch