THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    What OAL are you loading your 470NE
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What OAL are you loading your 470NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Problems already: My RCBS Rockchucker is too short. CRYBABY Went to seat 500gr Woodleigh's in my 470NE and they won't come out of the press. I seated my first bullet to the cannelure and had to turn my shell holder to the back and slide shell holder out and take the loaded case out the top, with die removed. I will get a bigger press. Question that arose was: What should my OAL be? Confused A-Square book shows Max OAL at 3.980". When the 500gr Woodleigh is seated to the bottom of the cannelure, it was 3.850". Is this too short? Seems like it should be OK to me, because it isn't compressing the charge, but I'm kinda anal about not f#&%ing up with 106 grains of powder going off. What OAL are you seating a 500 Woodleigh to??? Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks, ND

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the Woodleighs, I always seat to the crimp groove.

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Woodleighs also loaded to the crimp groove.

You can use the standard Rock Chucker to load the .470 NE. You start the round onto the seating die without the rim in the shell holder. Then angle the round out (toward you) and slide it back into the groove in the shell holder.

Not particularly convenient but does work. I don't load hundreds of rounds for this caliber at a sitting and so a little patience saves buying a new press.

I have found the 87-89 grains of RL-15 with filler regulates in my older Searcy ... and kicks a lot less violently than the IMR 4831 load of 108 grains.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I figured it out, so I can use the Rockchucker. I can get them out like you stated. I seated them to the cannelure line.
I hope to do some shooting this weekend, but the wind is currently blowing about 50mph from the north here in Oklahoma. Hopefully it will lay some by Sunday. I loaded (20) 500gr Woodleigh soft nose and (10) 500gr cast bullets. I forgot how much I hate those goowey damn cast bullets!!! I may shoot these 50 casts at paper and just use the jacketed projectiles from now on. Ken Cline gave me a load for 400gr XTP's that I will try. I love XTP's on whitetails...knocks the crap out of them at around 2000ft/sec in large calibers.

Good to hear from you! Smiler I am taking your advise and not using any mono's. My friend just purchased a 1920's Manton 470NE from Champlins, and we agreed that the risk is just not worth it. These guns, new or old, are just too nice to screw them up.
Thanks, ND

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
ND,
Get a new press! Redding and RCBS both have larger presses that can be had for not a lot of money. Set both presses up on your bench and use the smaller for Sizing and the larger for bullet seating...works like a champ!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
My OAL with 500 gr Woodleigh is 3.852. Load is 87.5gr Rel 15 using Kynoch Wad.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nitrodave:

I ran into the same problem with my Rockchucker press. I bought a new Supreme Rockchucker for a little over $100 and it solve the height problem.

rslus

Posts: 251 | Location: pa | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My RCBS Rockchucker is too short

i bought the Lee Classic Press for Big cartridges and it is great for the money.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!
I already have 2 presses on my bench...the rockchucker, and a RCBS Partner press that I only use for seating primers. I pre-load the anvil and just know the feel with the little press. In near 20 years of reloading, I have never had a misfire.
I will probably need to go ahead and get the larger press anyway. I have all the stuff for 450 #2 NE and they are 1/4" longer yet.
Sounds like I got my 470's seated right...I just like to get other opinions to double check myself.
Thanks to all,
ND thumb

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rockchucker Supreme thumb....I have the regular one but didn't work once I got addicted to the big stuff.
I also crimp to the groove in the Woodies and find a comparable "mini groove" when using North Fork cups and solids....perfecto.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't crimp mine. Do most of you crimp the 470NE?
Thanks, ND

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

one of us
posted Hide Post
ND...not all...but I do. Someone posted once that you could take a drill and a piece of emory cloth and SLIGHTLY cut down the sizer button on the die for a firmer grip. I just crimp all of my double loads...works well.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Nitrodave,

My 470 load OAL have run between 3.840 and 3.845 inches when crimped into the cannalure of Woodleigh softs using Rigby or Norma brass.

I use a Rockchucker IV and it works fine.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote