Find
Notify
Tools

9.3 CEB load help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen,
I have been working on a load for my 9.3x74R with the CEB bullet loaded with IMR 4831 and 4007sc. My rifle is regulated with factory Hornady loads. Even at max listed charges for 286 grain bullets in the Hornady and Nosler manuals, my groups are about 4-5 inches apart at 50 yards, not crossing. I see no signs of excess pressure and they are regulated vertically. According to Wright's book,my thought is to increase the charge. So my question is do you agree, and should I be concerned about going 1-3 grains over max? Also, I may run out of case capacity. Is it better to just keep trying different(faster?) powders?
Thanks,
David

Posts: 41 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
David,
PM Michael458 and get his input. He is responsible for the development of the CEB. If he has no valuable input, try calling Dan at CEB. He should be able to help some.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David I think I tried some of the CEB's in my Tikka 9.3x74R. I will check and let you know. I do not believe that Wright knew about "banded solids" which are a completely different animal from the loading perspective. You do not say what gun you are loading for.
Just saw pago's post and I agree that michael458 should be able to help you with loading data.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
David,

I would also pm 'srose' as same worked hand-n-glove with Michael developing the CEB FN Solids and HP NonCons - plus I believe Sam has a couple of 9.3 double rifles...

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the help. I have seen some progress with faster powders than I used previously. Now the only problem is finding more powder to work with!

David

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jayhawk

Please keep us informed of your progress. We have noticed similar results with a double we are doing load development with at the moment. I'd be interested to see how you end up.

Rhodes
DRSS

Posts: 193 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I had trouble getting CEB's to regulate in my 375 flanged. Tried 5 different powders and ran them almost 200FPS over regulation speed and still could not get the barrel groups to move closer than 4". Went though 150 of them trying. They work great in my bigger bores. In my 470 I run them fast to get to regulate though. Switched to a Northfork and the first outing I got them to regulate under 2" @ 2400. Going to run them a bit faster on my next outing. This gun shoots both TSX and Swift Aframe loads 4 shots at under 1" for the TSX and just barely over 1" for the Aframe.
I asked Michael about the CEB in 375 doubles and he thought that Sam had issues getting them to regulate in one of his doubles as well.
So maybe they are sometimes tough to get to work well in the smaller bores. I think CMCDoc had good luck with them in his 375 flanged. I believe I tried his loads as well with RL 22 or RL 25 (don't remember) but I could not fit enough powder in the case to match his load if memory serves me correct. My gun is really liking RL 17.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
David

Check your Private Messages....... I sent one to you, and I included Sam and Todd in our PM, we all had some suggestions for you in that PM. Todd had an issue with his 9.3 but got it sorted out, he suggested a couple of loads for you to try.

Check your PMs........

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,

I have been working down the loads, based upon the fact I could not get the larger charges to group well. It looks like 58 grains of IMR 4007SSC and 60.5 grains of IMR 4831 will both group really tight. These both should be about 2200 FPS with traditional 286 grain bullets. If tomorrow were not Mother's Day, I would check the velocities and shoot more groups, instead, I will be spending the afternoon celebrating motherhood! Thanks for the help I will keep you posted.

David

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
David

Were you able to check that PM I sent you, which included Todd and Sam???? Also with good ideas to help out...

Do keep us posted, and all here are happy to help out if we can...

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote