New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ken Owen 600 Nitro Express
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Good evening, I have an opportunity to purchase a Ken Owen 600 nitro, Does anyone have experiance with this maker, as far as durability, quality, I am relatively new to double rifles and cant find a websight for Mr. Owen. The seller says its Mr. Owens best quality w/ extensive engraving wirh case colors. Thanks in advance for opinions and advice. Jerry

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Jerry,

If it is the gun in Washington State, its a really nice gun. Looked at buying it myself but, its really heavy. As a fun gun OK, but as the Owen gun is 16.1lbs (If my memory serves me) is a little much for me.

Jeff Wemmer(on BOE) is the only indian that I've seen pack a 15 + pound double and looked refreshed at the end of the day.

The last consideration is feeding the 600. Brass, bullets and dies.$$$$$$$$$$$$ I hope I put enough dollar signs Big Grin

Ken has done some work in the past for me, and I consider him a friend. Good guy and I know it will be a accurate well built gun. Good luck!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks 505ED, If I can get the price right, I think I will buy this rifle, It should be more than enough to cure my big boar afliction for now. I hope Jerry

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Get it! Ken has built a fantastic 4 bore for me and another for Bigdoggy here on AR.He also built a 600 for a friend with a spare set of 577 barrels and he loves it!The 600 you are looking at was tested by Ross Seyfried and he said it was the most accurate double he ever fired!I may be wrong,but I think it weighed closer to 14pds? Good Luck!

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea!!! Bring that bad boy to Oklahoma...
ND BOOM
What part of the state are you in? I know a few other DR owners here. Maybe we could all get together for a shoot.

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Helluva deal Safarikid, seems that cannon might have a little history with it. Nitrodave, My place is in southeastern Oklahoma, A double rifle shoot, sounds like just what the doctor ordered. Jerry

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Ken is a great guy and a wonderful craftsman.
You should have no qualms as to the quality.
Also, IMHO, a great investment and a work of art.

However, as to the calibre ,your stated "I am relatively new to double rifles" , is cause to pause as 505 ED pointed out.

Besides cost, cost of feeding and weight, for a 1st DR the .600 is a thumper even in a heavy rifle.

That said, if you can swing it, buy it.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DuggaBoye, thanks for the insight on Mr. Owen, I have been shooting a 9lb. 500 nitro I got from Hallowell out west it shoots to regulation @2180 fps w/ 570gn slugs. shes a real sweetheart. But in my case I think ive contracted a potential fatal case of BIGBOREIDUS. I have heard there is no known cure. Jerry.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jerry mcdonald:
DuggaBoye, thanks for the insight on Mr. Owen, I have been shooting a 9lb. 500 nitro I got from Hallowell out west it shoots to regulation @2180 fps w/ 570gn slugs. shes a real sweetheart. But in my case I think ive contracted a potential fatal case of BIGBOREIDUS. I have heard there is no known cure. Jerry.

Shot a .500NE for 14 years great calibre.
And yes ,I am afraid your condition is Terminal Eeker Big Grin

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jerry,
I have a good friend with a small farm, south of Mustang. He shoots a Manton 470NE and I have a Searcy 470NE. Would this be too far to travel? If interested, PM me and I can try to set something up with him...wonderful man!!!
Thanks, ND Smiler

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry, I have an M.K. Owen in 450 x 3 1/4 and I can confirm that Ken is a great guy to deal with. I plan on being buried with my Ken Owen double! I will probably need it in Hell!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NitroDave PM sent. Peter, that says alot about a rifle, And yes I should order a fire proof casket, just in case theirs an unexpected trip to fire lake.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you need a cure for bigboreidus, there is a Ken Owen 4 bore on sale on the Lewis Drake website. That should cure your affliction rather quickly! Ken does make great guns and has an impeccable reputation.

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bigdoggy, Damn right a 4 bore would do the trick, but I am just a small farmer w/ big ideas, and the 115.000 price tag is out of reach for a rifle, but its nice to dream. And thank You very much for the post, and info on Mr. Owen.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Enough of this crap! DID YOU BUY THE GUN?!!!!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter, negative, watching cattle mkt, for best time to sell some steers. Have a good day neighbor.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry, it was hard to tell but I was giving your leg a gentle pull! You and 505ED seemed to have the inside track on this gun. Where is it for sale and how much? PM if you wish.
Peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
P.M. Sent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have very seriously thought about ordering a 600 NE from Ken Owen.

I'd have to shoot a 600 NE before doing so though, just to be sure of my

ability to shoot it enough to enjoy going back to it regularly. I really do

look forward to the chance to shoot one. If anyone buys this one we're
talking about here, I wish them the best. thumb

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote