New
Find
Notify
Tools

double barrel length 24 -26
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I will be ordering a 577 nitro next week . I want the double to come in at 11-12 pounds. Ive been told that this can be done by shortening the barrel by one inch(from 26-25 inch). My question to you pros? is there a reason not to go to 24 inches? I'm new to doubles. I understand the rifle will be regulated to 50 yards anyway. What sizes barrels do you all have ..thanks steve

Posts: 297 | Location: california | Registered: 20 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
I can see this going down the toilet real fast and getting into pissers match about rifle weights, but...

Personal statement here, but I would want the manufacture of the rifle to make it so it fits properly first and foremost.

If longer barrels balances the rifle better, for me, than it will be more pleasant to shoot.

If the barrels are shorter and they throw off the balance and is a nightmare to shoot to save some ounces, it's a personal call.

Some folks like lighter guns to make humping around in the heat easier; some guys like guns that are better balanced and (might be) heavier to carry, but will be a better handling rifle when fired.

Personal preference.

My .577 is 13.6 lbs. Fits me well and doesn't kill me to shoot it. I've humped it around Texas for a few days in the summer which wasn't pleasant, but I shoot it more than carry it.

Again personal preference.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AKA:

Also, you say you want the rifle to come in at 11 lbs.

Have you ever shot full house loads in a .577 3" in a rifle that weight? If not, it might behoove you to take one for a dance to make sure that is exactly what you want. Buying a .577 can be a big cha-ching for someone and the last thing you'd want is to get it, fire it, and find out it is not for you.

577NitroExpress

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
As long as the rifle is regulated with the shorter barrels, and the rifle still ballances properly, then there is no difference between a 25", and a 24" barrel set, that will be evident to you or the bull you are shooting! Your target weight is more of a problem, in my view, than the barrel length!

Most rifles in the 577NE up have shorter barrels anyway, so have it made how you want, because nothing worthwhile will be gained by a 1" longer barrel set! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
MacD37

so the size of the barrels are not that much of concern?..my main concern is the weight and carrying it around all day..so 24..25..26 is ok?..thanks steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well. I'll put in my 0.02 for what its worth. I owned one of the Remington doubles with 24 in. bbls. and it would have been much better with 26 inch tubes. I also own a double that I built in 303 British that has 24 in. bbls also. I have wished several times that I had made the bbls. 26 in. if only for asthetic reasons. The short bbls. just don't look or feel right to me.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
I can see this going down the toilet real fast and getting into pissers match about rifle weights, but...

Personal statement here, but I would want the manufacture of the rifle to make it so it fits properly first and foremost.

If longer barrels balances the rifle better, for me, than it will be more pleasant to shoot.

If the barrels are shorter and they throw off the balance and is a nightmare to shoot to save some ounces, it's a personal call.

Some folks like lighter guns to make humping around in the heat easier; some guys like guns that are better balanced and (might be) heavier to carry, but will be a better handling rifle when fired.

Personal preference.

My .577 is 13.6 lbs. Fits me well and doesn't kill me to shoot it. I've humped it around Texas for a few days in the summer which wasn't pleasant, but I shoot it more than carry it.

Again personal preference.

you have a Searcy as I remember..I shoot a unbraked 460 weatherby..2500 rounds so far.I'm suppose to fly to NY and be fitted..so the balance shouldn't be an issue..the Fairfax Rifle club lets you fire the 577?..I thought 50 cal was their cutoff.

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I have pulled the trigger on 577's that were 11.5lbs to 14lbs, and fit is very important! Any weight over 11lbs should be managable. Like 577nitroexpress said I hope you have shot at least a 500 nitro some because a 577 at 11lbs 6oz has monumental recoil.

I sold my last 577, it had 24 in barrelsand weighed 12lb 11oz, and was semi- pleasent to shoot. I have enjoyed my 470 alot. I'm looking right now at having a 450-400 3" built. Every once in awhile I get the hankering for another 577 then I go shoot the 505 gibbs and remember why I like shooting a 470, and 450-400.

Hope your double turns out great!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the Fairfax Rifle club lets you fire the 577?

nope! And all of the local public ranges here in VA only have bench rest shooting! Like that is going to happen!

And trying to get a membership at Quantico is like milking mice.

If you are getting fitted for the rifle, and you stipulate the weight you are going for, just get the double fitted properly for you. That will dictate a number of things, barrel length included.

I wouldn't loose too much sleep about loosing velocity for that rifle with an inch or so off the barrels - you are not slinging lead long distances.

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
And trying to get a membership at Quantico is like milking mice.

Male or female?

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think balance is a key to a 577 double and so is durability. An 11lb 577 is a little light and it along with you will be taking the punishment. Not good for the gun or you shooting it.

I think you need to put the rifle weight in the hands of the builder to an extent to make you the best 577 for you. I know who your builder is going to be and they build the finest doubles in the world. The last thing you want is to build a rifle that is too light, unbalanced and you don’t like it for some reason either it be for recoil or the way it handles. Chances are it would be hard to resale if you choose to part with it someday.

I have fondled 2 of their 577’s before at 14+lbs and you would never know they were 14+lbs the way they handled. I wish I had one! I’d sacrifice more weight for handling any day.

Prepare for your safari before you go. Get in shape and the weight won’t be an issue. I have a 15lb foam covered exercise bar I hike around with well before my safari. It gets carried on the shoulder a lot which you will do with you double. My 505 Gibbs weighs just over 12lbs loaded and I carry it around all day in the Oct./Nov. heat no problems. I’m 5”7” and 155lbs.

All the best to you Bwana!!

Posts: 385 | Location: So. Nevada | Registered: 29 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot 577 Nitro's 577 a few times and I would not want it any lighter.

I would rather it be a pound heavier than a half pound lighter.
I would prefer 26" bbls over 24" as well.

My 450 No2 weighs @11.5lbs with 28 inch [twentyeight inch] barrels and I would not change a thing on it.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
AKA,

The balance and swing on your rifle are the most important issues, no doubt. But have you checked the math on how much weight 1" on the barrel will save? Probably no more than 3.5 ounces....

Good luck whichever way you decide.

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too have fired, about 10 times, 577NE's rifle. I would NOT want to fire that caliber if it weighed less. If

I ordered a 600 NE I'd want it one pound heavier AT LEAST, just as a comparison. The 577 NE and the

600 NE were used by the ivory hunters of yore when in really thick vegetation and when a charge was likely.

I think 24 inch bbls were preferred by them for quick handling given the purpose for the rifle.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
AKA,
Good luck, man! It's your money, go spend it on what you want!

AT 11-12 pounds, you're a better man than I, Ghunga Din.

As for double rifle barrels, I like 26 inch barrels!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another advantage of the double rifle is the quick second shot.

The recoil of an 11lb 577 would be harder to bring back on target for that second shot. The 24in barrels are going to recoil an little more than the 26in barrels too.

First you yourself would have to recover from the recoil of the first shot and then bring the rifle back into to position. This would be easier done with a heavier rifle as the recoil will be easier on you and the rifle won't move around as much.

If you are use to shooting bolt action rifles a 26in barrel may seem a little long on a dangerous game rifle. A double with a 26in barrel is shorter overall than a 24in barreled magnum bolt rifle. Go for the heavier rifle and 26in barrels and rest assured you will have the balance you need and be ready for that second shot if needed.

Posts: 385 | Location: So. Nevada | Registered: 29 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course I can resist a post!

I shoot a 600 on a regular basis - a 15.5 pounder! Target shooting is a "tolerable" experience - shooting at animals is a "recoil, whar recoil" experience. With 25" bbls and the weight, the gun is very fast on second shots.

So, would an 11 pound 24" .577 be good, or bad? My hunch is that it would be great to carry and then the law of diminishing returns would kick in. As many posters have remarked, recoil, durability, targeting all would suffer at this weight.

The thought might occur to re-consider a .577 if weight is the deciding criteria, or, succomb to the fact that 13-14 pounds is the reality here.

Unless you are going after "point blank" Eles, or Buff, I'd strongly recommend a .470 or the like. They hit plenty hard on both ends at 10-12 pounds, but nothing even close to a .577 / .600!

For the record, I shoot a .600 for no other reason other than because of my physical stature lets me do so. The day will come where I get tired of the punishment. (I do concede that it is fun to swat big stuff with big bores - THis I shamelessly submit).

JW out

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
AKA,
I see you are from California and probably are aware of the new restrictions put on 50 cal and over in LA. I imagine it will drift to other parts of Calif as things usually do in that state. Looks as if they are set to stop 50 calibre use no matter what. I think this only applies to Ammo sales at this time in LA but from what I read they are set on it.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
zimbabwe

I' up by Sac so we are ok..for now.so far so good

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your advice!!!If i read everyone's post and sum them up a barrel length 0f 24-26 really doesn't make that big of a difference.I'm assuming the rifle will be perfectly balanced. As recoil is not an issue..I'm tending to go for the 24. I understand the normal weight of the 577 is 14-15 pounds.In order to get the rifle to come in at 11-12 pounds I was told that an inch would do the trick.Might as well do the 24..Thanks again for you help!!steve

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Just one note is that its a known fact that per inch of barrel is approx 25fps of velocity.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Old farts can see the front sight better on 26" barrels than they can on 24" tubes. You may even consider moveing the rear sight forward just a little.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Just one note is that its a known fact that per inch of barrel is approx 25fps of velocity.

You hit the nail on the head and I didnt even think about loosing 50 fps.To me the 750 is going slow enough and I dont want to slow it another 50 fps. Now it makes sense to stay with the 26" and accept the fact that the weight will be 13-14 pounds.

thank you everybody!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Wemmer:
Of course I can resist a post!

I shoot a 600 on a regular basis - a 15.5 pounder! Target shooting is a "tolerable" experience - shooting at animals is a "recoil, whar recoil" experience. With 25" bbls and the weight, the gun is very fast on second shots.

So, would an 11 pound 24" .577 be good, or bad? My hunch is that it would be great to carry and then the law of diminishing returns would kick in. As many posters have remarked, recoil, durability, targeting all would suffer at this weight.

The thought might occur to re-consider a .577 if weight is the deciding criteria, or, succomb to the fact that 13-14 pounds is the reality here.

Unless you are going after "point blank" Eles, or Buff, I'd strongly recommend a .470 or the like. They hit plenty hard on both ends at 10-12 pounds, but nothing even close to a .577 / .600!

For the record, I shoot a .600 for no other reason other than because of my physical stature lets me do so. The day will come where I get tired of the punishment. (I do concede that it is fun to swat big stuff with big bores - THis I shamelessly submit).

JW out

Jeff..I know where you are coming from I've run over 2500 rounds out of my unbraked 460 weatherby. thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
eff..I know where you are coming from I've run over 2500 rounds out of my unbraked 460 weatherby. thanks

You are a dang'd animal - that's what you are! rotflmo

Go for it man!

JW