New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cabela's - Sabatti
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just got back from Cabela's. Talked with several folks in the Gun Library as gun dept in general. The folks in the library were well aware of the dremel issue and said it basically caught Cabela's by surprise and put them in a bit of a bind. He also mentioned that the newer Sabatti's are not regulated by dremel. At Cabela's request Sabatti has added an X at the end of the serial # on the water table to indicate new guns without dremel regulation.

While looking over the guns in the library with my son I thought I had stumbled upon the Lost Dutchman's mine, A Sabatti .470NE Extr for $4199.99. Had I found a used Sabatti and a deal?

Nope, This was a dremel regualted gun that Sabatti had "fixed" earlier but was still ground. Since Sabatti had already "fixed" it it was being sold as is.

Last month Cabela's had 10% off Sabatti's. That would have made it $3779.99.

Everyone I spoke with was aware of the dremel issue and seemed to convey the feeling that Cabela's wasn't too happy with the initial guns but were standing by them. After I filled out the electronic 4473, a nice surprise, I had to go to the counter to sign the paperwork. The girl there was familiar with the X issue. The girl at checkout was also aware of the issue.

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"At Cabela's request Sabatti has added an X at the end of the serial # on the water table to indicate new guns without dremel regulation."

Water table?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lilguy,

It is where the serial number is marked on the receiver. Here is a link for a picture.

water table

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Eric this is some good news,someone finally getting something done to right the origenal wrong! There may be hope for the Sabatti yet!

This news should stop all the people who refused to admit there was anything wrong with the Sabatti double rifles! Even the distributors admit that was a serious problem. I must say Cabela's is to be commended for standing behind their customers in this cluster f%&k!

...................................................................... tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Eric: Glad to hear they were so upfront at your local Cabela's. At our little Cabela's in Springfield, OR, the gun librarian reacted with amazed and horrified disbelief and feigned total ignorance when I broached the muzzle grinding issue with him. What a twit.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ran into same at the Owatona, MN store last week. When I was checking-out the muzzle on a new .470 the two guys in the room expressed complete surprise regarding the grinding issue. The one example there had untouched bores for about $5,900.

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I go to Owatonna all the time and those guys on the floor are clueless. I deal with the Dundee Mich store; the manager is very well informed; don't deal with the floor guys and girls.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At my Cabelas all you need is a pulse to sell guns. The pat answer is "30 days to shoot and return for full refund if not satisfied". Some of the folks think its a shotgun. I don't think there is a company wide,organized, response to the
Sabatti issue.

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
So you bought the rifle, eh?

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PSmith,

I didn't buy the .470NE although I was very,very tempted to do so. After my run in with J White Gunsmithing I didn't have the brass to buy a rifle I figured would need to be re-regulated(knowing my luck). This coupled with having to send it out for the work stifled the notion.

I did buy the 450/400 though. The muzzles are clean and since I caught the sale in July they knocked off 10%. I hope to get it to the range in the next day or so.

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Keeping our fingers crossed, let us know.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
There is no corporate wide response to the Sabatti issue, which to us, is a disaster, but to them is just a minor blip in a multi million dollar sporting goods business. I have talked to corporate headquarters people about this and they both said; "talk to the Gun Library manager; they will take care of it", when I tried to explain that they had a company wide problem. No clue, but at the store, they were more than helpful.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to the gun library at the Cabelas in Lehi, Utah, and looked for a Sabatti double with an "x" following the serial number. None of their Sabatti doubles in stock had such a designation. They also could not find one among other store listings.

Where do you find this newer version? I have had many doubles and have a 470 Austrian one at the moment but am always tempted to find something at lower prices.

Has anyone purchased a Sabatti double with the newer designation?

Posts: 159 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 15 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Have a look at ELeeton's test drive further down the list of topics.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr. Wirthlin,

The serial # listed on line and in the store for my 450/400 did not have the X either. The label on the case does not even have the X. The serial number that is stamped on the receiver on the water table does have an X. Based on the size and alignment of the X I would say that it was applied sometime after the original serial # was applied.

Did you handle the gun and break open the action?

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We checked the water table on each double in the rack and could not find one with an "x". They did not seem to know how to find One from their computer list of all Sabattis.

Posts: 159 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 15 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Were the muzzles clean on any/all of them?

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Am not sure about the muzzles. One 450 had a decent regulation target and is the one mentioned on another post. I was not impressed that the guys in the Gun Library could not tell me where to pick up one of those doubles with the "x" designation.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Doc: The Cabela's Gun Library staff rarely impress.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cabela's - Buda, Texas

I understand where you are coming from. In a week or so I am going up to the Chicago area. I will try to stop by the Hoffman Estates Cabela's to see what they know.

Barring an "X" or even with an "X" I would look at the muzzles. I would also talk with the particular Cabela's and make sure you/they are straight on the return/repair/replace policy.

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
Eric,

Would you mind posting some pics of the water table on your rifle? That might help some know what to look for when they are looking at the Sabatti doubles.

Tyler

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The Hoffman Cabelas does not list any Sabattis; next to Chicago their biggest sellers are TEC 9s and Glocks. Assorted 32 autos.
And I was in the Prairie du Chen one yesterday; they don't know what a double rifle is. (no gun library at all)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom,

I was up at Hoffman Estates a few months back and handled a 45-70 and .470 to my recollection. Maybe the TEC-9's and such just ain't "keepin it reeel" no more

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
touchdown88,

Here you go
[URL=

You can see the X at the end

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE