THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    First time firing .470 Nitro
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First time firing .470 Nitro
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted
If I can post these pictures properly, it will show me firing Dr. LeRoy Wirthlin's Austrian made double .470 Nitro. It was a real hoot and I don't care what you say about me wearing the "Woosey Pad". I had rotator cuff surgery last October and really didn't want to undoe it. The still photo shows me after I accidently touched both barrels off. I fired the right barrel (forward trigger) and my finget slipped back and touched the the rear trigger about 5 milleseconds after the first. It was a real eye-opener. Altogether, I fired 18 rounds from it and decides that was enough fun. I then fired about 20 rounds from his son's .425 Westley Richards. I had made the cases for that from .375 RUM's and wanted to test the feeding and extraction. I didn't have a failure with any of them. The method was displayed some months ago with pictures if anyone is interested.

Both Barrels 470 Nitro

First shot .470 Nitro

I guess I need to read up on how to post the pictures some more but the URL's should be visible to you.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill.. nice work on the posting those shots. Actually when you doubled the 470, the barrel ended straight up and the shot somewhere over the mountain range. Plan to use that on a Bison this fall.

Posts: 159 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 15 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Plan to use that on a Bison this fall.
quote:

The shot somewhere over the mountain range

Are you gong to use cast or jacketed? Where are you going to hunt them?

Actually, I saw the puff of dust about halfway up the hill in front of us unless that was a ricochet from the first round.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Been there, done that on several double rifles, Some folks will tell you to pull the front trigger first as that is the way they are regulated but thats just BS being handed down the line and has become acceptable to some...

After a lot of testing, I ALWAYS pull the back trigger first and nothing has EVER changed at the POI or the group size..

I double the same way you did on a Buffalo many years ago, and it really took his feet out from under him and he never got up. the shots were about 10 inches apart in his shoulder. Fired at about 25 or 30 yards with a 450-400 as I recall.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote