THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Properly cleaning and storing a DR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Properly cleaning and storing a DR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been gently scolded by DRSS member about how to clean and store my DR's. I am a novice at DR maintenance and have read a lot of threads throughout AR forums. There seems to be no consensus. Please, in cookbook fashion!!!!!, tell me what the heck to do. I cannot be harassed by Mississippian any longer.

DRSS

Posts: 29 | Location: Madison, Mississippi | Registered: 24 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clean the barrels a you would any other rifle.

Hoppe's No 9 Powder Solvent - get all the powder residue out.

Use a Copper Cleaner to get the Copper out. I use WIPE OUT PATCH OUT

Just don't use Sweets 7.62 on the barrels if you value your barrels.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
Clean the barrels a you would any other rifle.

......Just don't use Sweets 7.62 on the barrels if you value your barrels.....

Absolutely! or any other ammonia based solvent.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11243 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The above info is spot on. I store my DR (actually all of my rifles) barrels down in the gun safe after using the snap caps to release the firing pins.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
It’s not as complicated as it sounds. Naturally one needs to treat a double like the fine rifle it is, and not just use any solvent or solution unless it is known to work on fine guns. Pretty obvious really IMO. The other thing to keep in mind is that a break action rifle or shotgun requires the use of grease on the hinge areas. Light grease keeps friction down and also provides a small cushion when the gun is fired. Avoid excessive oil as it can cause stock problems in addition to gunking up the action.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

2 Questions:

1) Why is Sweets 7.62 good for a bolt action rifle and not good for a DR??? It has been recommended to me my many gunsmiths to clean copper out of my BAs.

2) What the heck is in Wipe-out that gets rid of copper if it ain't a nitrogen based compound?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37884 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look here for all kinds of information.

Gun Cleaning Forum

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:

2 Questions:

1) Why is Sweets 7.62 good for a bolt action rifle and not good for a DR??? It has been recommended to me my many gunsmiths to clean copper out of my BAs.

2) What the heck is in Wipe-out that gets rid of copper if it ain't a nitrogen based compound?

I don't use Sweets 7.62 for a number of reasons.

1. I have seen 2 guns where it has caused problems with the metal of the barrel. Whether it was the Sweets itself or the sweets attracting mositure that caused the "corrosion", I couldn't really care. It's caused problems with barrels in the past, why would I use it on DR barrels that are a lot softer than modern metals used ?

A lot of people won't use it because it has caused problems.

2. DR's have a heap of other "metals" used in various parts of the gun - ribs, solder, wedge etc. We don't know exactly what they are.

3. Why get a face / lung full of ammonia every time you use it when something else that is perfectly good is available that you don't get chemical burns from ?

4. Wipe Out Patch Out is the liquid form of the old Pressurised foam can of Wipe Out - that although good, was a bit messy to use.

Old Expanding Foam Wipe Out
http://www.sharpshootr.com/wipeout.htm

New Liquid Wipe Out Patch Out
http://www.sharpshootr.com/patchout.htm

5. If I have a really copper fouled barrel, I can SAFELY leave Wipe Out Patch Out soaking in the barrels overnight without a worry.

And finally, I don't just use anything on $100,000 guns, would you ?

That's only my HO, it works for me but you are welcome to use whatever you want.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

2 Questions:

My earlier comment was based on Bolt experience only as I do not own a DR.

I know that some target shooters and military types use Sweets - but they do not care about barrel life really. Sweets is fine if you do not care about barrel life in the medium to long term & are only concerned about immediate quick results.

I used one bottle of Sweets which I bought over 15 years ago when I started center fire rifle shooting. Sweets corrodes the barrel as the ammonia reacts with the various trace metals like vanadium etc in the steel and leave small pores. If you leave Sweets overnight, and try to swab it out, you will feel a distinct resistance due to the rough surface caused by the corrosion. Sweets on steel or aluminium hinges of a gun case is a tragic mistake.

There are many sources in the web (too many to spend time looking now) which show tests with various solvents on polished steel surfaces. Sweets always comes out among the worst. Yes in extreme cases it will do a great cleaning job very quickly but you need to neutralize it very quickly or you are in deep trouble.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11243 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
4. Wipe Out Patch Out is the liquid form of the old Pressurised foam can of Wipe Out - that although good, was a bit messy to use.

Old Expanding Foam Wipe Out
http://www.sharpshootr.com/wipeout.htm

New Liquid Wipe Out Patch Out
http://www.sharpshootr.com/patchout.htm

OK...Here is my dilemma.

There are only 2 wyas to remove copper: 1) chemically 2) abrasively

I assume Wipe-Out/Patch-Out does it chemically.

Nitorgen based compounds esp ammonia are one of the only substances that will readily "react" with copper to put it into solution so that it may be removed.

Maybe Sweets is not the best I am definitely not the expert here. Actually...trying to learn.

That is why I ask: What the h3!! is in Wipe-Out that chemically removes copper BUT is SAFE to steel & solder alloys???

Do y'all just take it at face value that it is fine???

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37884 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is why I ask: What the h3!! is in Wipe-Out that chemically removes copper BUT is SAFE to steel & solder alloys???

No, I don't take it at face value.

That's why forums are so good. You have end users recommending good products etc etc.

If you don't want to accept someone's product recommendation, fine by me. Do you accept our suggestion NOT to use Sweets 7.62 ? Or would you test it on your barrels only to find you just put a whole heap of pits in them ?

But years ago I "tested" it on my DR's and bolt actions (after it was recommended to me by BR shooters).

Graeme Wright also got some from me and he used it (and maybe still does) - after testing it to make sure it didn't affect the solder etc !!! LOL

Either way, Terry who makes it is a pretty cluey guy and every product I have got from
him works really well and as described. He is also not too clever that he doesn't listen to advice, which is why the foam based cans now have a nossle / TUBE for inserting it into the barrel. That came from us over here (although others in the US had probably worked it out as well.)

Let's put it this way. If there were any problems with it, it would have shown up by now
and with forums, it would be widely known.

And I wouldn't just use "anything" on $10,000 - $100,000 rifles, especially old guns with questionable steel / barrel metal hardness.

And yes, I have cleaned $100,000 Holland Royal's with it !!!

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

No, I don't take it at face value.

That's why forums are so good. You have end users recommending good products etc etc.

But years ago I "tested" it on my DR's and bolt actions (after it was recommended to me by BR shooters).

Graeme Wright also got some from me and he used it (and maybe still does) - after testing it to make sure it didn't affect the solder etc !!! LOL

Either way, Terry who makes it is a pretty cluey guy and every product I have got from
him works really well and as described. He is also not too clever that he doesn't listen to advice, which is why the foam based cans now have a nossle / TUBE for inserting it into the barrel. That came from us over here (although others in the US had probably worked it out as well.)

Let's put it this way. If there were any problems with it, it would have shown up by now
and with forums, it would be widely known.

And I wouldn't just use "anything" on $10,000 - $100,000 rifles, especially old guns with questionable steel / barrel metal hardness.

And yes, I have cleaned $100,000 Holland Royal's with it !!!

That was a long way around saying you don't know whats in it!

I am looking for someone who does! Wink

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me put it this way. Do you know what is in all the different
things that you put in or down your barrels ? I very much doubt it.

Well I can tell you that Terry won't tell you the formula.
He won't give it to anyone.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is what they make gas chromatograph machines for. Eventually...somebody will run it through one.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That is what they make gas chromatograph machines for. Eventually...somebody will run it through one.

So, have you done that or asked for it to be done on all the products you use on your guns ?
I very much doubt it, so why are you asking for it on this product ?

Have you asked Hoppe's, Tetra, Butch's to do it on all of their products ????
I very much doubt it.

I really couldn't give a @#$%.

It's been out there for years and no one has come up with a foam based system
that was as good as Wipe Out - although a few have tried !!!!

And it might give you the chemicals but not the forumla.

Seems to me like you have double standards.

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Recruit Hughes, There will be a weapons inspection followed by a forced march starting Sat @ 0500! salute If you fail (which you will) I will be taking possession of the Merkels and you are to report to Van's asap and purchase the remington POS double to continue your education.

Sunday we would like an Asian theme for the evening meal with much larger desert portions! beer

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Would you gents consider it acceptible to release hammer tension by closing the breach with the triggers pulled?

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You now have witnessed the obvious harassment that I receive on a regular basis from Mississippian. I expect his DRSS membership to be revoked immediately!

DRSS

Posts: 29 | Location: Madison, Mississippi | Registered: 24 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

So, have you done that or asked for it to be done on all the products you use on your guns ?
I very much doubt it, so why are you asking for it on this product ?

Have you asked Hoppe's, Tetra, Butch's to do it on all of their products ????
I very much doubt it.

I really couldn't give a @#$%.

It's been out there for years and no one has come up with a foam based system
that was as good as Wipe Out - although a few have tried !!!!

And it might give you the chemicals but not the forumla.

Seems to me like you have double standards.

Sir...with all due respect...you are the one advocating Patch-Out and trashing Sweets.

I just asked if you really knew what you were talking about. IE: What was in Patch-Out that made it better/safer than Sweets.

As it turns out...you don't. Wink

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
500N,

My bottle of Paul Co. Patch-Out arrived today from Brownell's. Will give it a try.

Do you think I should just throw my .500 NE Merkel in the trash and buy a new one???

I cleaned it though the break-in with Sweets, and Butches Bore Shine.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
500N,

My bottle of Paul Co. Patch-Out arrived today from Brownell's. Will give it a try.

Do you think I should just throw my .500 NE Merkel in the trash and buy a new one???

No, don't throw it away, just get a gas mask for the next time you want to use Sweets Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
500N,

No, don't throw it away, just get a gas mask for the next time you want to use Sweets Big Grin

Believe it or not...I actually like the smell of Sweets! Smells clean to me. Anyway...I'll give the Patch-Out a whirl.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Believe it or not...I actually like the smell of Sweets! Smells clean to me. Anyway...I'll give the Patch-Out a whirl.

Well, you might like it but your nose / lungs won't !!! LOL